Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hammer Person,

I suggest that you rustle up some chums, pack a kerosene lamp and do a night run on the dumpster.

as they say," make hay while the sun shines". They ain't making any of that material these days.

In other, other words.

Get the goodies before the matutinal  dumpster collecting fellows arrive.

Just a humble suggestion from.

SLAG.

Hi,

It's been a while but had to share what followed me home.

One of our clients had a bandsaw that they never use since they upgraded. I had asked if they wanted to sell it a few months ago with no luck. I was visiting for a job today, and the owner asked if i was still interested and i said of course and then he says i can have it for free since it is goibg to a good home. Well i just couldn't believe it, I am going to have to make them something really nice.

Thanks,

Luke

20170831_190047.jpg

20170831_190054.jpg

Same.. This one was kind of put aside as not working when my bro in law had it. I cleaned 15+ years of detritus off it. With some help from my father ....we greased the bearings, new blade, got it running smooth and built a stand for it (from recycled materials of course)

Now it works like new.....plus was given a large table for it to use it upright.

Even got the auto shut off to work;)

Bargain!

IMG_20170704_171453.jpg

We used an old wooden saw horse frame. Then we beefed it up with a nice thick piece of timber I had laying around plus strengthened it up with struts and the metal tread shelf.

I cut up some stainless angle iron for some brackets to attach the saw on top.

Added the wheels as its a bit of a lump to move around.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:04 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Perhaps a dozen doughnuts will get you permission tomorrow morning? Or even get a stack placed outside the dumpster to enhance their commitment to recycling!

Update: after a few days of them not being on the job (because the building is actually in use as a meeting space, rehearsal hall, and concert venue -- amazing acoustics!), I finally got hold of one of the guys who not only gave me absolute free rein of the dumpster ("Anything that's in it is yours -- just leave the stuff outside alone"), but laughingly refused the doughnuts. Now I've got to figure out what to do with this box of quality baked goods.

Well, today was the all-town yard sale, and I was hoping to pick up some decent stuff. However, circumstances dictated that I had to stay home and man our table of my late mother-in-law's China and glassware, so not a SINGLE BLESSED THING followed me home. 

However, we did so well with the sale that my wife was okay with my keeping some of the proceeds for smithing purposes. There WILL be stuff following me home in future!

I stopped by a yard sale on the way to the fleamarket and picked up a couple of old files and 6 wrenches in with the files, a Valve protector that I will make into a wind bell, an old sickle and 2 rolls of gas rated teflon tape.  Made me happy as the fleamarket was a bust today; going to a different one tomorrow though.

Oh yes, the lady running the sale told me they were getting ready to clear out her late father in law's farm tool shed in a week or two and would I be interested in stuff like that---I left her one of my blacksmithing cards!

Funny thing about the wrenches---no two of them were made by the same company! and there were US, Japan, Taiwan, India and Chinese ones in the lot of 6.

Then at Church tonight I was given another sickle and an old single jack hammer that had been made into a cross peen by torching one end down---you can see the channels left by the cutting torch on the top and bottom of the cross peen. (and yes a lot of joking about the "hammer and sickle" occurred.)

Went to several junky stores and got a couple of big honkin hammers and another hair dryer in case our other one goes out. One of the hammers has a metal pipe welded on it but I will cut it off and put a wooden one on. Thomas that sounds promising on the old tool shed!. also I may have a lead on an anvil... i hope. I will know more on tuesday

15044109143071712494483.jpg

1504412879021372352045.jpg

This is kind of it followed me home and then I built something with it post. I am not sure if it should go here or else where..

The story starts with the old lathe I found if an empty lot.IMG_0019s.thumb.jpg.9de3cbd470561ee36e114653daf296b7.jpg

The lathe was way past it's life so I took anything of value off of it and scrapped the rest. This is where the stand came from.

IMG_3069s.thumb.jpg.0a425c13df982eb257919159f98bab26.jpg

A could of more holes were drilled.

IMG_3077s.thumb.jpg.c03d150e16515dccc9199d0bdcf5c4f9.jpg

Then a plate from the hydraulic forging press that was cut out of the center was cut to size.

IMG_3063s.thumb.jpg.8a27e049a2bf57f357835588aaee5034.jpg

combining with the old steel plate from the hydraulic power pack. It was machined to the fly press requirements.

IMG_2980s.thumb.jpg.d741a465c19700bd3bb29b9add89e205.jpg

IMG_2979s.thumb.jpg.4a60e015f91e3702248c072715d4c73f.jpg

The top and bottom plates were welded to a piece of 6" pipe that I dug out of a dumpster.

IMG_3610s.thumb.jpg.824b4a6c48604366a3105230f74ab007.jpg

So this is the end result of using all the it followed me home stuff so I can use my 25.00 yard sale find fly press.

IMG_3659s.thumb.jpg.74b2e48d0f04f4c8bd2c8178bfac2f35.jpg

IMG_3660s.thumb.jpg.a2ae5ce71f449052fbc7a9f39532a09a.jpg

It now sets next to my forging hammer I built from stuff that followed me.

IMG_3694s.thumb.jpg.c069b6bc182b06353bfdd81e6f24240d.jpg