• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm morally opposed to buying new cars and have never done it.  However, I'm seriously considering setting myself back financially in order to acquire the new Jeep pickup when it releases soon.  If the bed on that thing is 48"+ between the wheel wells in the bed I'm likely diving in.  I have wanted a Jeep since I was 15 but could never fit in them.  Well, I did manage to wedge ,shelf into an old grand wagoneer woody when I was in my early twenties but it wasn't Jeep-ish enough.  The new Jeep pickup is basically a Wrangler with a bed and I'm having desires from my youth surge from within.

Picked up a free 3 phase 3 horsepower brake induction motor/ reducer with VFD.  This was used to spin a room.    Not sure what to do with this  Any ideas?  

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

Edited by ede

43 minutes ago, Foundryman said:

Used to spin a room? Most people just use alcohol, it's less bulky and does a fine job of spinning a room!

Agreed, although the person that thought up of this might of had a few. 

14 hours ago, Lou L said:

I'm morally opposed to buying new cars and have never done it.  However, I'm seriously considering setting myself back financially in order to acquire the new Jeep pickup when it releases soon.  If the bed on that thing is 48"+ between the wheel wells in the bed I'm likely diving in.  I have wanted a Jeep since I was 15 but could never fit in them.  Well, I did manage to wedge ,shelf into an old grand wagoneer woody when I was in my early twenties but it wasn't Jeep-ish enough.  The new Jeep pickup is basically a Wrangler with a bed and I'm having desires from my youth surge from within.

I love the concept of the new Jeep truck.  I've got a 97 Cherokee & a 98 Wrangler.

I understand what you mean about fitting in them.  My 97 has early 2000's Grand Cherokee seats in it, which helps alittle.  On my Wrangler, I'm considering the spacer kit that moves the seats up and back like 2 inches to give you more room.

15 hours ago, ede said:

Picked up a free 3 phase 3 horsepower brake induction motor/ reducer with VFD.  This was used to spin a room.    Not sure what to do with this  Any ideas?  

I doubt you have three phase in your home.  Do you have a shop with it?  I'm not particularly knowledgeable about motors but, when I want to know something I usually check Jeremy Fielding on YouTube.  He just recently covered three phase motors and his whole gig is that he is frugal....very frugal...Andy he shows people how he repurposes motors from vacuums, washing machines, tread mills, etc that he finds being tossed out.  His entire workshop is cobbled together from found items and it is pretty darn smart.

The thing must have sick low end torque.  I'd be making a tire hammer with it if I had the capacity  to run it.

6 hours ago, dagr8tim said:

I love the concept of the new Jeep truck.  I've got a 97 Cherokee & a 98 Wrangler.

I understand what you mean about fitting in them.  My 97 has early 2000's Grand Cherokee seats in it, which helps alittle.  On my Wrangler, I'm considering the spacer kit that moves the seats up and back like 2 inches to give you more room.

I'm hopeful that I will be posting one of those trucks on this thread next summer!  All I have to do is get rid of cable television and a few other little things and my payments are made!

9 hours ago, Lou L said:

I usually check Jeremy Fielding on YouTube.  He just recently covered three phase motors and his whole gig is that he is frugal....very frugal...Andy he shows people how he repurposes motors from vacuums, washing machines, tread mills, etc that he finds being tossed out.  His entire workshop is cobbled together from found items and it is pretty darn smart.

The thing must have sick low end torque.  I'd be making a tire hammer with it if I had the capacity  to run it.

Thanks, Lou.   I will definititely be checking out Fielding's youtube videos.  I don't have three phase and yes, it does have some major low end torque!  Would love to make a tire hammer with this if I can figure out a way.  

9 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

You can run three phase motors on single phase. There are a couple of ways to do it, I used the "jack" motor method, but I have a rotary phase converter now. 

I was reading about the different ways of converting last night, however I'm not familiar with the "jack" motor method.  

It sounds like the rotary method is the way to go as it's not supposed to have the starting and reduced power problems like a static converter.  I heard they cost around 600 for a 3hp rotarty coverter.  

16 hours ago, Lou L said:

I'm hopeful that I will be posting one of those trucks on this thread next summer

Lou:        just a suggestion on any new auto product, let others buy the first couple yrs any new models.  I set in on a number of launch meetings and most every time problems had just been discovered some worse than others but the decision to go had been made regardless and away they went and Hard working Americans plunked down their $ often receiving a "pig in a poke"..  Set and watch reviews come in.  Todays Products do not do justice to their name heritage.    

If all the bugs had been found there wouldn't be any recalls!  I looked at one truck that had an open recall out for corrosion in the steering column----Not a problem here in NM generally but then I tracked the VIN and found that the truck had spent time in Michigan!

What's following me home lately is my Father's things that my Mother has to get rid of; but thinks are too good to donate or throw away.

Well this piece of steel 31" x 39" got into my truck and followed me home from CT last week. It was given to me by an old neighbor last Oct. just before we moved.  We couldn't get it off the floor, no idea how heavy 300 lb we are est.  I finally got back there to get it after months of figuring how to load it.  I decided on a die lifting cart we had in my brother in laws old shop and a much younger fellow(step son) to do a little lifting.  we dropped it on and pumped it up exactly to the tailgate height, slid it in.  Decided to strap it after it slid on every corner and 200 miles was going to be a problem.       When we got it to my new shop I had the mate to the lift cart and my son to help it is standing against the back wall.   2" thick on the edges and 3/4" top plate with the welded braces underside and says Made in England.  3rd picture is my die lift I used handiest tool I have.

I plan on welding some legs with wheels on for a welding table, would like a larger one but shop doesn't have the room.    

IMG_0173_5598.JPG

IMG_0176_5601.JPG

IMG_0174_5599.JPG

Notownkid, are those welded in, or is it a cast iron layout table? 

EDE, the "jack" motor method requires another 3 phase motor that is as big, or bigger than the one to be run. You connect the 220V single phase through that motor and continue on to the one you want to run. To start, you pull start the jack motor with a cord around the shaft, then turn the power on. The motor will stay running, and then you just turn on the machinery you want to use normally. You only get 2/3 output due to only having 2 hot legs instead of three. So a 3hp motor will give you 2hp output. 

First I thought I'd post what I brought back from my last trip up north.

25# Canadian Giant. It's in rough shape and has "repairs" on both toggle links,  the ram guide,  the front bearing cap,  the lower dovetail, and the upper die in welded in.  But I couldn't just leave it there. ..so slowly I will try to bring it back to operational.

I was literally getting in the truck to leave when the owner asked if I was looking for anything else. I was so excited about the giant I hadn't even asked what else he had!!! So the swage was added to the load.  It is 200#(+/-), measures 4.25"x16.25"x14".

IMG950073.jpg

20170713_161541.jpg

And now today's haul!!! I stopped in to take a few pics of an old Blacksmith shop in a town near mine.  Ended up talking with a neighbor, who put me in touch with the owner.  The owner had purchased the fully equipped shop from the son of the Original Blacksmith,  a gentleman who immigrated from Italy and set up this shop around 1910. The current owner had pictures of himself as a child pounding away in that Smithy. So I of course asked if I could take pictures and document the now abandoned shop.  Unfortunately he had sold everything inside and said it was "cleaned out". But he decided to show me around anyway. Inside the front doors are the test marks of the various branding irons that were made there. The Motto "By hammer and hand, all arts do stand" was chalked high on each wall. The brick forge had been dismantled, and it was indeed pretty cleared out.  Except for ALL of the strap iron,bar stock, coal, bagged coke, the old anvil stump,  a cast forge, old pickaxes,and finally, under the coke. ....a broken at the waist 176# Anvil!!!  This is the first truckload. I'll be going back later to bag  up the loose coal and the metal. The owner wanted to GIVE this all to me and kept saying he was sorry I didn't show up a couple months earlier.  I ended up paying him for this load and agreed to buy the rest when I get back up there.20170720_131503.thumb.jpg.33e132c88162665c8ded49c3db8f862c.jpg

20170720_151804.jpg

20170720_131436.jpg

20170720_151824.jpg

As far as the room spinning motor goes, the VFD should be able to run it with single phase 220.  Check out the specs on the VFD to be sure.  VFD's are commonly used just for that purpose, running a three phase motor with single phase power, as well as being able to vary the speed.

Not really fallowing but brought by the magic brown truck.:D

Two butcher block brushes. The HF welding brush kind of melted when it hit hot steel.

So i now have two and will most likley only ever be able to find one.

Mel

An anvil followed me home. Saw it in an auction listing and knew that auction house had a smaller crowd so things usually go cheaper. Then it happened. My long time nemesis Joe showed up. He Always is after the same stuff I like. Ugh. I figured I wouldn't get it as he usually has deeper pockets then me but I think I did ok and brought the old girl home with me. I was thinking it's an old mousehole just from the junky auction house photo. When I got there I couldn't tell but still thought it was and figured it was anywhere from 80 to 100lbs. Turns out it is 93 on my bathroom scale and marked 100lbs. (0.3.16)  "Sorry Joe, not this time."  Eh.. We are nice to each other. :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg