I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Speaking of sucker rod, back in the late 80s someone had put a lot of it cut up into 4 ft. pieces in the cities scrap metal bin. I had permission to scavenge all I wanted from the bin and at the time I was driving a Honda CRX. I loaded all the rod and cut off ends into the CRX and headed home with the front wheels almost off the ground. When I got home I weighed the lot and it came to 400 lbs. no wonder the CRX gave a sigh of relief when I unloaded it.:D I still have a lot of it left.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, JHCC said:

A yard each of sucker rod and HC cable, along with a tracing of his pattern sheet for rose petals, all courtesy of Daswulf. 

Just realized I forgot to add the photo; sorry.

IMG_2539.JPG

RUSTY 304 STAINLESS steel? I don't think so. I could be wrong of course but I don't think so.

Was the place a hoarder's or a blacksmith's it looks like good loot. The yellow glove is a real score! :lol:

What kind of PPE do you wear demoing asbestos laden haz mat sites?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty

thats what i thought about the stainless, but the website is stamped on the pins, i think im going to get in touch with company and ask them about it.

As for the PPE for asbestos, we wear tyvek suits, PAPR or full face respirators with P100 filters, gloves, also while working we have to isolate the areas with poly, run hepa filtered negative air scrubbers and lots of keeping the asbestos materials wet. and of course having to shower before leaving a work area.

Bull pins---could that be a part number rather than an alloy designation.  I've never seen one stamped with the alloy.  Anyway clean them up and save a couple of them and trade them off to other people for stuff you can use---like ones in different sizes.  I have a short hefty one that I  stick in hammer eyes when I'm going to be sledging on their sides for example.

58 minutes ago, GPRussellJ said:

Frosty

thats what i thought about the stainless, but the website is stamped on the pins, i think im going to get in touch with company and ask them about it.

As for the PPE for asbestos, we wear tyvek suits, PAPR or full face respirators with P100 filters, gloves, also while working we have to isolate the areas with poly, run hepa filtered negative air scrubbers and lots of keeping the asbestos materials wet. and of course having to shower before leaving a work area.

Sounds like handling asbestos and other dry particulate Haz Mats hasn't changed that much since I took the classes. All but a couple of us had to keep personal Haz Mat response kits in our lockers. Those of us who wouldn't shave got supplied air hoods, you could turn up the blower and it air conditioned the tyvec suit.:) I carried 2 extra battery packs for it in a belt pouch.

We never got called out on a serious Ha Mat spill though, a couple fuel spills and once to keep people away from a liq. nitrogen tanker that'd parked on it's side in a ditch. That one was pretty neat, the experts couldn't get their truck close enough to pump off the liq nitrogen so they vented it. We stood there blocking the road for a few hours and watched the geyser. 

Frosty The Lucky.

It was controlled, just a jet of white vapor that looked to be a couple hundred feet high. We were holding traffic back about 3/4 mile, didn't even feel a cool breeze. Best haz mat spill ever, we usually got called out to toss sand on a fuel spill then shovel it into a truck. Being DOT we were an emergency response agency and got to take care of dangerous stuff, avalanche chutes, unstable rock cuts, we used explosives on both. Floods, Fires, earthquakes, whatever we were on call. We worked with the FD and PD often. Our worst calls were to pickup roadkill that'd been laying there a while. Maggots can make an entire moose carcass squirm. B-A-Dness and no the gas cartridges  for my mask wouldn't filter out the smell of rotting critter. 

I got smart after the first time I was on road kill clean up, you stink no matter how many times you wash, it soaks into your clothes and driving home was . . . Ugh NASTY! The second time I stripped naked and just wore my coveralls and rubber boots. They wouldn't let us waste tyvek suits, oh no. Anyway, when we got back to the shop, I hit the shower in the lady's room for a really long soapy shower and put my clothes back on. The coveralls got tossed in the laundry bag after they went into plastic or the laundry really complained.

It was a good job, worth more in satisfaction than the pay and bennies. Those were nice though or I would've stuck with being a certified welder.

Frosty The Lucky.

On April 7, 2017 at 9:47 AM, duckcreekforge said:

Can someone identify make and model for me, it followed me home yesterday. Can utters and punches be obtained? Thanks.

It's not all that old since it's hydraulic. Cute, very cute. Check your local welding supply, they often sell iron worker dies. Pull the punch and bottom die and take them with you. Any labels? Early Uni-Hydro I'm guessing. 

Went to the locale metal yard. Found the springs and 1.5 inch rod in the scrap bins.

The springs look to have been from some type of shock absorber. The large rod was in with some others that had been threaded.

The rod I hope to turn in to some hardy tools.Maybe later make a hammer head from some of it.

What is not in the photo is the 3/8 x 1inch flat to use for making some tongs fallowing the process I found on anvil fire.

Thanks for looking.

Mel

20170409_111826.jpg

I was at the College theater scene shop today doing some welding on my post vise stand, and checked their dumpster on general principles.  In addition to a fair amount of scrap lumber for kindling and some other bits and pieces (including a nice 12" hacksaw frame), I scored this beauty:

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

Which appears to be in perfect working order. Since theater lighting went digital, they just don't use this kind of dimmer any more.

9 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Depends on the type of motor on the blower.  Universal motor would probably be fine.

Thanks. I'll try it with the vacuum cleaner blower, since I understand that most vacuums use universal motors