• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blacksmith Magic! We had storms in central Ms all night last night and I stayed up watching the weather. As a result of my late night I slept all morning and didn't go garage sale hunting with my dad this morning. When I stepped out on the porch this afternoon to survey the storm damage this stuff was laying in my front yard. Pop had gone out searching this morning without me and dropped this stuff at my place while I was sleeping. I called to ask what I owed him and he said $20.00 for both.

The homemade wooden post vise is charming. It is crude but functional and probably served its purpose well. I'm going to clean it up and display it with some of my other obscure shop tools. 

The 3" post vise is in great shape. Everything is there except the original mounting foot. The mounting bracket has the key and wedge. The spring is good. The screw and screw box are flawless. This little vise has a film of rust all over, like all metal stored outside in Mississippi, but it looks like it hasnt seen much use. It's small but in really good condition.

IMG_20170121_142413.jpg

IMG_20170121_142319.jpg

IMG_20170121_142326.jpg

IMG_20170121_143842.jpg

IMG_20170121_142432.jpg

I like that small little 3 incher!

Littleblacksmith

On 1/10/2017 at 7:35 PM, littleblacksmith said:

All is about 1 3/8" wide, and varies in thicknesses all the way from 1/4" to 1". All mild steel.

IMG_5570[1].JPG

I used one of those pieces tonight, and I brought it to the belt sander to round over the edges, and was shocked to see sparks that resembled ones of high carbon steel! I'm pretty sure it is all high carbon steel, except obviously the half inch plate that is now part of my striking anvil. Very exciting! He didn't mention what steel it was, and so I just assumed it was mild steel, but maybe he didn't know either.

Littleblacksmith 

Those pieces are torch cut and you are grinding on the slag most likely.  That will give sparks that look like high carbon steel.  Also, you really should not grind slag on your belt grinder unless you really like paying for and changing belts.  The slag will chew the belts up quickly.  Use a grinding disc or stone to get rid of slag and scale.

Some railroad steel that leapt into the trunk of my car when I wasn't looking, and some flat bar from the Bargain Barn at Logan Steel (aka Hog Heaven). 

IMG_2199.JPG

(Addendum: if anyone is looking for some big chunks of mild steel for a striking anvil or a block anvil and is within driving distance of Meridan, CT, Logan has a LOT of 5"-6" dia. round in all sorts of lengths, as well as big chunks of 1-1/2" plate, all for $1/pound.)

Nice find Farmall. 

I had to check out the Restore today and found some goodies including some 2" black pipe.  Then end of the day one of the guys at work was backed up to the metal hopper and opening up the cap on his truck.  I said "whoah, don't throw stuff out without me checking it out first." Lol. Came home with some 3/16" cable and an old dewalt miter saw that still works. :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Das, I just know what you're thinking when you got that stuff from the Restore. The blades on that pair of snippers make great dragonfly wings or bird beaks and the green handles trimmers are already birds heads with movable beaks. The pliers are lots of things - scorpion claws, insect feelers, birds head and long neck. Yep, I know what you were seeing there!

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

Yep, I know what you were seeing there!

:) shoulda got a picture of the other side of the green handle shears, they could also make some good animal ears. All depends on what I need em for first. Yes my first thought with the green handles were bird heads lol. 

5 hours ago, Daswulf said:

:) shoulda got a picture of the other side of the green handle shears, they could also make some good animal ears. All depends on what I need em for first. Yes my first thought with the green handles were bird heads lol. 

Daswulf, I had a miter saw but a friend gave me another one he didn't use anymore. So I took it home, cleaned it up and got some 10" metal cutting blades, now I have a metal chop saw. It does real good for my needs and I saved a bunch on the purchase of a new chop saw.......