• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the only thing that's followed me home so far in the New Year is an old hair dryer from cleaning out my mother-in-law's apartment.* Let's see how well it replaces the shop vac as a blower for my rivet forge.

*Why she used a hair dryer when she wore wigs is something I do not want to know.

Two chisels, jug of spikes, small lug wrenches and mig tips for the propane forge build. Stopped at the welding supply place and asked for an .035 tip and he said all they had were packs of 5, I said I only needed 1(frosty burner) he went into the back and came out with these said they were discontinued and I could have them....thank you sir

image.jpg

Followed me home last Sunday after church. Lets just say i know a welder...

Gave me a half inch plate that will be for my striking anvil. It will be what the actual anvil is welded to, and then what the legs are welded to. Also got some left over scrap. All is about 1 3/8" wide, and varies in thicknesses all the way from 1/4" to 1". All mild steel. Also got a good bit of chain for Damascus.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5568[1].JPG

IMG_5569[1].JPG

IMG_5570[1].JPG

2 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

Also got a good bit of chain for Damascus.

Littleblacksmith

Some of that chain would be very good for a hold-down.

On 1/3/2017 at 3:19 PM, Jimmyiorn said:

Two chisels, jug of spikes, small lug wrenches and mig tips for the propane forge build. Stopped at the welding supply place and asked for an .035 tip and he said all they had were packs of 5, I said I only needed 1(frosty burner) he went into the back and came out with these said they were discontinued and I could have them....thank you sir

I just buy mig tips in the 5 packs, it's not that expensive and you never know when you'll need to build another burner. Can you use the threads on those? They're not all the same you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Stopped by the scrape yard in South Korea again. This time I was granted access to "other areas" of the yard. I found 5 pieces. One Korean utility hole cover, like the ines you see in the road. It will probably end up as wall art when I get back to the states. Next item was some sort of brake drum. Then I found the strange bowl looking piece. It has rusted iron flange welded to what I believe to  be galvanized steel, not sure though. Have no clue right now what I will use it for. Next item was a simple solid steel block, roughly  3x3x4. Im thinking of making some sort of 90 degree swage with it, maybe two. Then I found a ratty old hammer that was rotting away at the bottom of the mountain of metal.

I also got a 6' piece of 1/4" round stock and a 6' piece 1/8" round stock. 

I got all 7 pieces for $10.

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

That's a biggin! Going to use it for a twisting wrench or a wall hanger?

Littleblacksmith

Nice safe, a little insulation and some fridge plumbing and your lunch and beer would be safe in the shop. 

oooh OOH! Hide it in a wall and I'll call Geraldo! Rig a camera inside so we can get a shot of Geraldo's expression when he opens the door and sees . . . whatever we come up with for a surprise. Maybe one of Das' insects, hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Nice safe, a little insulation and some fridge plumbing and your lunch and beer would be safe in the shop. 

oooh OOH! Hide it in a wall and I'll call Geraldo! Rig a camera inside so we can get a shot of Geraldo's expression when he opens the door and sees . . . whatever we come up with for a surprise. Maybe one of Das' insects, hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hahaa! Great idea! Tool box/beer cooler/ lunchbox/Geraldo trap lol 

2 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Both. I figured since RR spike knives aren't high carbon, I would try my hand at RR track knives.B)

Or do you mean rail road ties? They would have plenty of carbon...;)

Littleblacksmith

17 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

That's a biggin! Going to use it for a twisting wrench or a wall hanger?

Littleblacksmith

We're gonna need some bigger spikes!