I Forge Iron

It followed me home

9 minutes ago, Klorinth said:

While getting some work done on the vehicle I did some dumpster diving at the local shops... I think I did fairly well. Especially seeing as the scrap guy had just done his regular pickup on Thursday. 

I'm not sure what these three pieces are but they are nice and heavy.

If you take apart the CV joint, not only do you get some great ball bearings for testing anvil rebound, but there's a retaining ring that you can hammer out into a cool bracelet, like this one I made for my daughter.

IMG_20150919_182747270.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Buzzkill said:

They look like king pins from a large truck to me - in the steering.  Can't be sure without better pic angles though.  Either way, those and the S cam shafts you picked up should be at least medium carbon steel.  I made a flatter from an S cam shaft like you have there.  Worked fine, but was a lot of heating and beating without any help.

King pins makes sense... Most of this came from a diesel repair shop that does mostly just big highway trucks (tractor trailers, Semi's, highway lorries). Any guess as to what they might be made of? 

The cam shafts were a great find... I was hoping to find a spring or two at least. No luck. Although it looks like I will be using the front end springs off my own vehicle... I have to replace the shocks and they will be pulling the whole unit. Bad for the wallet but at least I get the springs.

I was thinking those cam shafts would be a good place to start my first hot cut for my hardy. I assume it will take a lot of pounding. I need a heavier hammer maybe.

Its funny but I'm actually happy about the two pieces of 3/8" mild steel rod I got. They are all twisted up but they should make really easy rivets.

No, those are the cams from air brakes. The brake can pulls a linkage that connects to a crank arm on the splined end of those. When the brake can activates those are turned and spread the brake shoes. One end of the brake shoe rests against the cam levers, when they turn the shoes are forced against the inside of the drum.

Frosty The Lucky.

Due to the nature of king pins they should be wear resistant, and it's probably a safe bet that they are at least medium carbon steel.  However, I do not know for sure what is in them or if they will forge well.   I can tell you that the S cams will harden and can even crack in a water quench.  If you're planning on making a hot cut I guess you don't really need to quench them anyway.

I'm not sure if you were looking for leaf springs from a truck or not, but I can tell you they are a lot of work.  The 3 leaf springs off a semi trailer are about 3/4 of an inch thick towards the middle and it's a bit of a chore to get them down to workable size.  I split a 10 inch piece lengthwise and pounded it out to a kukri style knife, but I haven't gotten the handle on it yet. 

Another thing to keep an eye out for is the mudflap hangers that are solid square stock and slide into the holders on the back of trucks.  They make decent punches, chisels, etc. and can be hardened.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

No, those are the cams from air brakes. The brake can pulls a linkage that connects to a crank arm on the splined end of those. When the brake can activates those are turned and spread the brake shoes. One end of the brake shoe rests against the cam levers, when they turn the shoes are forced against the inside of the drum.

Frosty The Lucky.

He's not talking about the S cams Frosty.  He's referring to the 3 round pieces below the S cams.

Well, yesterday I had a rollaway, and a Kennedy top chest full of machinist tools follow me home. I got laid off from work Friday, due to a big slow down in purchase orders. It will  be interesting to see how that works out for them, getting rid of some of us with the most knowledge, even though we were the higher paid employees-- you get what you pay for. 

I am looking at this as a great opportunity for my future as I have been wanting to start another business anyways. I have my eye on a local restaurant that is up for sale as the owners would like to retire.  Cooking is one of my lifelong passions , so maybe this is just good timing, fate so to speak.

Onward and upward. 

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Well, yesterday I had a rollaway, and a Kennedy top chest full of machinist tools follow me home. I got laid off from work Friday, due to a big slow down in purchase orders. It will  be interesting to see how that works out for them, getting rid of some of us with the most knowledge, even though we were the higher paid employees-- you get what you pay for.

Saw an ad on craigslist recently that was very similar. Some guy had inherited a Kennedy top chest chock full of tools. From the pictures I could see a full set of mics, sine bars, dial indicators, parallels, and other assorted goodies. He figured it was all worth about $240 but he was willing to trade for just about any kind of firearm. Before I could get the barrel nut tightened on my Winchester 190 the ad was gone. So either someone else snapped it up before I had the chance or else he gained a better understanding of what he actually had and pulled the ad on his own. RATS!!!

Then again, I suppose the tools and boxes that followed you home belonged to you to begin with, given the circumstances. Sorry to hear about you being laid off and best of luck to you going forward.

14 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

He's not talking about the S cams Frosty.  He's referring to the 3 round pieces below the S cams.

Sure enough. <sigh> . . . Nevermind.

Frosty The Lucky. (I'm not wrong more often)

2 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I am looking at this as a great opportunity for my future as I have been wanting to start another business anyways. I have my eye on a local restaurant that is up for sale as the owners would like to retire.  Cooking is one of my lifelong passions , so maybe this is just good timing, fate so to speak.

Onward and upward. 

Bummers.  Laying off the most experienced is like chasing the lowest bid.  Never made sense to me.  Good luck with the new venture.  

Seems like you could get rid of two random employees for every expert you kept and then keep a smart talented new guy to sweep the floor of the shop and assist (and get trained up by the *best*!)  When I worked for the swordmaker we would shop out a deep narrow hole for a massive guard in stainless as the EDM charge was quite reasonable. Then the "good" guy left and the price for the next one doubled as the new guy was much slower.  The shop owner got told we couldn't afford to pay to train his new guy and we went back to doing them by hand in house.

Called into a local u pull it and they wanted $35 for one. (Plus taking it off car and figuring out how to the spring safely) Called a mechanic 6 blocks down from me and said I can take whatever spring I wanted for free!!

The two on the left look like 5/8, other 2 maybe 1/2 inch? 

IMG_20160308_162539146.jpg

Edited by Donniev
Sorry for double post, not sure how it happened but I'm on my phone

On March 8, 2016 at 9:57 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Daswulf; the postvises with the tenon mounting bracket are generally the *older* ones; check the screwbox to see if the thread was brazed in place, looks like you found a nice one indeed!

I'll have to check that but Frank Turley had some info on my post in the vise section that it is an old one. I'm pretty excited about that. I've been a little laid up from getting metal in my eye. It's healing up so I'll check that soon. Even safety glasses and face shields arnt 100% when you work with metal and rust enough. 

If you are doing "messy" work it might help to run one of those super powerful magnets around your goggles and hair before removing your googles.  Goggles protect a lot but then folks forget their sweaty hair is full of cruft too!

I have lifted out of my eye a sharp piece of steel from using a die grinder with a magnet from an old disk drive---It was NOT stuck in the eye but just riding along the surface so I felt removing it would be better than a long ride to a hospital over bumpy country roads.  I followed up by watching for infection.

9 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

If you are doing "messy" work it might help to run one of those super powerful magnets around your goggles and hair before removing your googles.  Goggles protect a lot but then folks forget their sweaty hair is full of cruft too!

I have lifted out of my eye a sharp piece of steel from using a die grinder with a magnet from an old disk drive---It was NOT stuck in the eye but just riding along the surface so I felt removing it would be better than a long ride to a hospital over bumpy country roads.  I followed up by watching for infection.

On this one I never noticed getting it in my eye but woke up early in the morning to the very unpleasant feeling. I'm thinking it could have hitched a ride and I rubbed it in in my sleep. Who knows. I tried every trick I knew and gave in. 

The big goofy looking safety goggles that seat against your face all round fit over my trifocul safety glasses and are pretty positive protection against all but the finest dusts and smoke.

Since getting the shingles (GET THE SHOT!) my left eye tends to be dry so almost everything irritates it. I've taken to wearing just the safety goggles, even the forge exhaust irritates my left eye.

I've had too many things dug out of my eyes to not wear eye protection and be pretty hard case about other folk wearing it in my shop.

Do you have an eye flush bottle in your shop? They're excellent things to have around if you can get your eye flushed as soon as something gets in your eye the chances are good you can get it out before it scratches things up.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Do you have an eye flush bottle in your shop? They're excellent things to have around if you can get your eye flushed as soon as something gets in your eye the chances are good you can get it out before it scratches things up.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'll look for one or two of those to add to the kit. 

Im also looking to get some good quality sealed eye protection. But like I said this one must have been hanging out because I never felt it that night. Who knows. Just goes that it's better to be safer then sorry. Even with ppe something can bite you, so not wearing it is just asking for trouble. 

Debris will get caught in your eyebrows and hair so you don't notice anything till it falls out and into your eye. The eye goggles fit above my eyebrows and I wear a welders skull cap to keep crap out of my hair. I keep my hair buzzed too, I buzzed it years ago in support of a late friend who had brain cancer and was undergoing chemo. Anyway once I discovered how much easier it is to wash my hair with a wash cloth and how little of anything can catch in 1/8" long hair I . . . It's been my look since 03 I think.

Back when I had long or normal length hair there were times I got in the shower wearing my eye goggles, adjusted the water and didn't open my eyes till I'd shampooed a couple times.

Like I say I've had too much stuff dug out of my eyes to not take precautions, even over the top precautions. It flat out gives me the willies to see a pair of tweezers coming at my eyeball!

Frosty The Lucky.

14 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It flat out gives me the willies to see a pair of tweezers coming at my eyeball!

Frosty The Lucky.

Points taken and yeah. Even worse when a doctor scrapes at it side to side with an injection needle. And takes his glasses off to do it. :blink: it was a terrifying and horrible experience.