• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, ianinsa said:

Were you shopping or looting?:D looks like a great deal

It's kind if funny: the previous owner posted a classified asking $75, I contacted him to let him know I was interested, I planned to offer $50, and then he emailed to let me know that it was $50 before I'd even had a chance to ask. When I'd come round to look at it, he said, "So, is $50 okay?", to which I replied, "Sure, especially if you have some bits to throw in!"

The really funny thing is that he gave me all the specialty bits, but kept the twists!

The hatchet seems to be hand made/forged as there no machine marks anywhere and sharpened quite well.

The cross peen head is a Heller made in USA with the horse logo and it appears that it was used for a bit with the broken haft but in very good condition.

I found these at the Santee swap meet  located outside of San Diego, CA.

3$ for the Heller and 5$ for the Hatchet

SM3.JPG

SM2.JPG

SM5.JPG

SM1.JPG

SM4.JPG

14 hours ago, RICKOFF said:

The hatchet seems to be hand made/forged as there no machine marks anywhere and sharpened quite well.

The cross peen head is a Heller made in USA with the horse logo and it appears that it was used for a bit with the broken haft but in very good condition.

I found these at the Santee swap meet  located outside of San Diego, CA.

3$ for the Heller and 5$ for the Hatchet

Nice! 

There's a great video of how these axes used to be made here.

On 2/6/2016 at 5:06 PM, JHCC said:

Smallish ( but practically new) drill press with a set of small Forstner bits and a handful of other specialty bits. Fifty bucks.

A small drill press is handy to have, especially if you find yourself needing to drill very small holes. The big floor model presses just don't give sufficient feedback and it's too easy to break a bit. You made out better price wise than a trip to Harbor Freight and probably ended up with a better machine too. Nice.

50 minutes ago, ianinsa said:

You want me to bother the neighborhood?:rolleyes:

Yes.  Yes, I do. :D

You'd be surprised at how many people will buy them just to put them in the garden and never get rung!  Check out the guy from "imakebells" dot com.  Very impressive metalwork.

IMG_20160214_150728557.jpg

Some kind of bashed-in sheet metal box from the grocery store parking lot. Not sure what kind of metal this is: there's no rust, but it doesn't look like galvanized. (The reddish smear at the bottom is some kind of varnish or something, and the white powdery stuff is road salt.) I'm going to put some in vinegar and see if that changes anything.

4 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

I thought if was the only one who picks up random bits of metal that nobody can see why I want it. What are you thinkin about doin with that? I'm lookin at the picture and I just can't see anythin unless the metal is thick enough then I might cut it up for candle cups. 

I'm thinking roses.

On 2/14/2016 at 4:51 PM, Michael Cochran said:

I thought if was the only one who picks up random bits of metal that nobody can see why I want it. What are you thinkin about doin with that? I'm lookin at the picture and I just can't see anythin unless the metal is thick enough then I might cut it up for candle cups. 

Welcome to the club.:D