I Forge Iron

It followed me home

You bet, Roper Whitney is still making them and there are lots of sizes and models. Search Roper Whitney with your model or even patent number, you'll find all the info you need.

I picked one up at a yard (boot) sale two summers ago for $1.00 and couldn't get the person selling it to take more. I was giddy with excitement but it's been too long for me to remember what the die set cost. It won't be long before you'll wonder how you got anything done without it.

Frosty The Lucky

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recieved my Cergol Hammer, it's a 4 lb rounder, Brazael style, forge finish, Aaron did a fine job on it. I have to leave it under the tree till the 25th sadly! But my boys bought it for me for Christmas. I was sitting in the hot tub when I thought about posting a pic of it, thus the bathrobe!

post-4158-0-24228800-1417484919_thumb.jp

had some stuff un-follow me home today; was forging at the local SCA event and a fellow talked me out of a 3.75" millball and a sucker rod end to mount it on and another guy got the 74# chunk of steel (appx 8"x8"x4") to use as an anvil; I'll have to pick up another next time I go to the scrap yard...

Boraeili, what are the alloys you got there? Looks like a nice assortment, did you hit a sale?

O1, A1, A2 tool steel. i got it from my grandfather(for free :)  ), he special ordered it around 30 years ago back when he was a smith. he considers it "scrap" now

O1, A1, A2 tool steel. i got it from my grandfather(for free :)  ), he special ordered it around 30 years ago back when he was a smith. he considers it "scrap" now

:) Some well matured tool steel you got there! 

Happy hammering on it!

Gergely

Was scrounging around some old blacksmith stuff and assorted junk and came across these two old cast iron crucibles.
Thinking of displaying them in our blacksmith shop, but not sure they would have found use in general blacksmithing.
Also in one of the pots was the ingot of something very heavy - seems heavier than lead - perhaps white metal for casting bearings etc. Given the history of the area, I'm assuming some mining connection. I have all the 100 year old timber patterns for a nearby tin smelting works, so maybe these crucibles were used in casting. One is obviously a later design as it appears to have a gas connection.
I'm wondering if they would find a use in a blacksmith shop or would they be better displayed elsewhere?
post-50874-0-70232400-1418645513_thumb.j
post-50874-0-93902500-1418645549_thumb.j