I Forge Iron

It followed me home

"Pounding out the Profits" shows two different powerhammers using a Fisher for the Anvil.

The Blacker is best known. It has a really weird action where the ram is supported by a double shaft and is actuated sort of like it's a very large sledge. The Blacker also had the ability to traverse the ram sideways in use and the cut out is so there was a spot where the edge of the ram would meet the edge of the anvil. Very handy for certain jobs!

I have a Blacker Fisher and at one time owned a Blacker hammer that had been through a shop fire---bought it just to keep it from going to the junkyard and later resold it for no profit to the fellow who was doing the Fisher Museum in NJ.

Thomas

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a prayer list for folks who sit at the breakfast table reading "Pounding out the Profits" or "Anvils in America"; or other smithing esoterica?

You got me on that one. Psychiactric care might be in order though. Not that a smith could afford psychiactric care of course.

Frosty

Well another banner week, I ran across about a dozen Hardy tools, an equal number of specialty hammers for SCA type stuff some 2" rollers for my 2" X 72" grinder, a sheet metal spot welder, a 5 1/2" post vice and a bunch of other misc. stuff. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Steve

Just got these today walking from work to the parking lot. Nice plumber at a construction site near there was threading 1/2 inch pipe with a power threading machine. Had a whole drop bucket full of various lengths and sizes. One question later, I had a coffee can full to take home. Nice guy, hope he's there tomorrow, too. :D

Looks like it's time to try one of those Bill Epps style smokin' hot peppers!

Or maybe a small burner for a gas forge, as some are already threaded.

aaron c.

(Note: all the pipe is black iron, no galvanized in the lot)

4091.attach

keykeeper, I know you know this but I have to say it anyway...If there is any galvanized material use it for your gas forge, don't forge it into any pepper or such. sorry, just had to say it. Nice score tho. And like AM said, take him a goodie that you made from his scrap. He will be amazed I'm sure.

I was parked between inspections and saw three "foundation bolts" leaning against a tree. In normal construction these are usually 10-14 inches long and 3/8 to 1/2 inch rod, bent in an "L" and threaded on the long end.

The three I picked up were all of three feet long and 7/8 inch diameter. They are almost walking canes. they weigh a bit for that though. (pics to follow)

Now my problem is that my little balloon-tyme forge is too small to heat them up. On that one, my loving, beautiful wife told me to stop on the side of the road and picked up two empty "balloon tyme" tanks that were just laying there. Then, bless her heart, she asked "how much would it take to make two more forges?":D
nice_jugs.JPG
the little one is my 2-year old - G

Well folowing the advice of thomaspowers from my "what stock would be good to use" post a while back, I went to get some election signs for the metal frames. Well starting out with only the three from my yard it wasn't looking good for me until I became buddies with one of the men who's job was to take them down from the road, then it was the simple task f picking them up from his house, over sixty pounds of metal! yeah, I'm quite excited and have already been making blue prints on some candle stick holders.

Well folowing the advice of thomaspowers from my "what stock would be good to use" post a while back, I went to get some election signs for the metal frames. Well starting out with only the three from my yard it wasn't looking good for me until I became buddies with one of the men who's job was to take them down from the road, then it was the simple task f picking them up from his house, over sixty pounds of metal! yeah, I'm quite excited and have already been making blue prints on some candle stick holders.

haha, I have made so many things out of these its unreal.. chains, practice welds, scribes, clay tools, hair pins, dental tools (messing around a little..) and so on.. good stufs, that and old garage door springs.. you can heat it up and pull on both ends and you end up with 6 or so feet of usable high carbon wire.

I don't have pics (camera is a little flaky) but this weekend I picked up a 4x7 inch horizontal band saw. It was a craigslist find. It was about 10 years old and in great shape. The owner had added shelves, casters, and a fresh coat of paint. Paid sixty bucks, and when I went to pick it up a friend of mine was hanging out with the guy, so we got to sit around in his shop and bs a bit. The sad part was when I went to unload it with a friend.. I opened the back door of the rig (suv) and the whole thing fell out on top of me. Seems it had shifted during the drive, and the whole top heavy bit didn't help... Anyway, it banged up the belt guard pretty good. Not to mention my foot..

I had a post vise and anvil follow me home this weekend. the anvil is really beat up but still has some use left in it (in my oppinion anyways)

I'm not sure if its wishful thinking or not but I think it says armitage on the anvil. I'm also pretty sure the numbers on it are 0 3 11. which should be 95 lbs right? it feels like about that weight wise (after removing it from the stump) the height on the stump was about knee to lower thigh.....much too low for me.

IMG_0419.jpg IMG_0421.jpg

the vise has all the hardware with it and the jaws are in good shape. the only problem is that the legs are bent in from over tightening it. I hope to bend them back sometime after the hollidays. any suggestions? heat or no?

IMG_0410.jpg IMG_0411.jpg

I just found a welder on craigslist for 75 bucks. It said stick welder with an HF unit. I called and asked if it came with a TIG torch and flowmeter. Yes! :D So I brought it home, and found out that it was an OK deal, but not a great deal. The welder was AC only, and had a 21st Century HF unit sitting on top of it. I had a bottle of argon sitting around in the garage just for such an occasion, and I found out that the torch would not flow any gas. I cut the thumb slider valve, also 21st Century, with a hacksaw, and found out that an internal passage was melted shut for some reason :( I drilled this out and epoxied the unit back together again. So now the argon has to be shut off with the tank valve. Turned on the HF, and welded a bunch of beads on some 5/64" sheet metal. Works just fine, but the AC is noisy and unpleasant on steel. Low pen is good, though. Is there a good reason, other than pen, that you are supposed to only use DCEN on steel?

The HF makes the fluorescent lights flash, and it shuts down the GFI outlet. What a pain. I opened up the unit and noticed that there is no filtering either upstream or downstream. Also, no HF intensity switch. Also, no HV cap! Apparently, the coupling transformer is self resonant. What a pain: very difficult to replace/repair. I will have to try grounding my table and put in a line filter to see if I can calm things down a bit.

On the plus side, there was a box of stick rods that came with the machine. Some 6013, 7018 (probably waterlogged), 7014, and NI99 <- :) . Also 3 chipping hammers and welding masks, and plenty of TIG consumables for the torch. I guess that one gets what one pays for.

In retrospect, looking at the TIG torch and the HF box, I have learned something about old American made tools. Not all of them are high quality. You can see where the engineers cut a bunch of corners in the design to save money, compromising the quality, usability and durability. It was not as bad as the Chinese stuff, though. I saw a picture on the WWW of one of those cheap Ebay Chinese TIG welders. I can't remember if it was a Chiry, Riland or CTD. The spark gap was flimsy copper stuck right up against the control board. This is just meant to fail after a short while. At least the 21st Century has the standard tungsten tipped double gap.