• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

vaughnt, on the other side of the shield there are several trays for drills and oil, etc.
frosty, yes it is a variable speed, has a leather belt 2" wide by 1/4" thick. i have dealt with drill press angst for a couple of years using a hand drill and a cheap bench model. this should cool my jets for a while.

thanks

Visited the scrapyard Saturday; didn't get much: 12" section of WI wagon tyre, some sq tubing for a gazinta, a length of twisted 1/2 stock from a fence that got burn over in a wildfire, a piece of perforated stainless to make a vent cover for my truck's hood, and a steel milk crate---I pick them up whenever I find them for storage when I get the heavy duty shelves installed in my shop extension.

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago. The guy had a Harbor Freight bender for $100.00 and this #2 Di-Acro for $200.00 complete with boxes of dies, and other tools like hand held rivet sets, and several of these neat little bending jigs. The decision was easy.
Dan

post-13715-0-85175500-1347853225_thumb.j

post-13715-0-79927200-1347853299_thumb.j

post-13715-0-45681400-1347853356_thumb.j

post-13715-0-48762500-1347853374_thumb.j

post-13715-0-01397000-1347923208_thumb.j

Picked this up today as a swap for a Damascus hunter.

100_2799.jpg

Says 198 # on the side but no other markings - base is wrought and besides a few repairable holes and nicks on the face it's in good shape - face is still very flat. Weighed at the yard at 88 Kgs and I had to carry the beast 50 mtrs - gonna know about it tomorrow.

A bunch of years ago I was selling some junk, mostly the skins off of hotwater heaters, I was making smokers out of the tanks. and someone threw away a Whitney Angle Iron notcher..I had to climb this 50 foot tall mountain of Junk risking life and limb..but I got it and brought it home to my dad who's a better mechanic than I am because it wasn't screwing down for some reason.
Anyways he had to take it apart and said he had xxxx getting these ballbearings back in it. but now it's works great and we've used it for many years.
I keep hoping& praying to find a Beverly shear ,or a Hossfield bender lodged off somewhere in some mountain of Junk.
and when that day comes I guess it will be time to climb the mountain again!!!

post-14716-0-62216000-1348023719_thumb.j

Climbing the pile at the local scrap would get me tossed out and banned; bribing one of the workers with a sixpack delivered at closing time to use the crane to get it; is positively *encouraged*.

The random dozen doughnuts dropped off on the way to work in the mornings with a discussion of the type of things you are hunting for can lead to amazing results!

Having the Scrapyard crew look forward to you stopping by is *priceless*!

I hear you,I can see where they would freak out if they saw somebody halfway up the mountain but that was years ago when I got that
I was young then!!
I'm starting to become frends with a couple of scrapyard owners here in Dallas and the other day the other day I was selling my cans and wound up buying 2 sheets of 4'x8' by 3/16s. Dad took one of the sheets and used it in his bed of a 54 ford that he's been rebuilding..He sprayed that "Rhino lining" in it when we were done welding it in and it come out really nice.

Spending time chatting with folks is still pretty common out here in the sticks. Some "city folks" seem to think that it's a waste of time and impairs productivity not realizing that it's an *investment* that can pay back big time in the future.

For example when I was given two 40' utility poles, I called up a family friend who had a 20' trailer and he cheerfully came over and cut them to 20' lengths and hauled them to my shop extension building site and came back with a manipulator to lift and set them when I was ready for them.

Then months later his brother in law showed up with a broken jackhammer bit on a weekend where he had rented a jackhammer to do some concrete work only to be stopped by the bit breaking. So I forged it back out and heat treated it and told him to come back if there was any problem---first time I had ever done a jackhammer bit; but I'd read about them here...

No money changed hands either time save for I insisted to pay the gas for hauling my poles. Folks looking out for their neighbors and friends is still a country meme.

Scored 4 packs of heavy leaf springs about a month ago.

Also picked up an old Curtis 2 stage air compressor & a forney arc welder at auction. I think the tank on the compressor is 80 or 90 gallons. The welder is missing all the leads and the power cord is shot, probably try to resell it or scrap it out.

Scored 4 packs of heavy leaf springs about a month ago.

Also picked up an old Curtis 2 stage air compressor & a forney arc welder at auction. I think the tank on the compressor is 80 or 90 gallons. The welder is missing all the leads and the power cord is shot, probably try to resell it or scrap it out.

SMAW leads are cheap to make (well, not crazy expensive at least).

Tap plugs are easy to make from brass if you have a lathe too (nobody uses them anymore, so you are stuck). Measure the hole, turn a bar to size, chamfer/ball the tip, and drill the back side for accepting the cable to be soldered/sweated in. Saw the front side almost to the shoulder, clean up burs with sandpaper or a file.

Get some PVC that fits over the cable and drilled portion of the bar. Drill a small hole into the side of the lug though the PVC and fasten with a small screw.

I almost had to make a set of taps for my welder, and after discussing with the old man at the welding shop this was his suggestion. My taps cleaned up just fine. I had to sweat out the old wire, and sweat in the new.

If you change your mind and toss the machine keep your new leads for use on another machine, although you will probably need to change the ends.

Pictures of the old plugs before cleaning in this thread. I can take new pictures of the cleaned up plugs if you want.

Phil

Will,
I am an addict for old equipment!......... That said, any peice of equipment meant to handle max. 12mins of work every hour has got to be even in the manufacturers opinion a peice of dogs..t. it probably has a good deal of copper inside. possibly worth twice its commercial value stripped and sold as scrap............Stripped i.e. clean copper is worth a heck of a lot more than a whole machine!

Got to pick over the metal pile at the trash transfer station Sunday. They had a bunch of exercise equipment that the owners finally gave up on and I didn't need; but I did find an larger apartment sized water heater that I've been needing to make a heating stove for the shop. We're close to 5000' above sea level and it can get brisk during the winter---why sometimes I even have to wear a *coat*!

I plan to find another smaller one and nest them with a dry sand packing to act as heat ballast so I can burn small stuff in a hot fire for a short while and let it coast the rest of the day. Probably do it Q&D rather than fancy though.

I'll have to look into it more to see if its worth it. I wiped off the dirt and got the specs off the unit today.

Fourney C-3
180 amps max output
Input 230v @ 32 amps
duty cylce 20%
power factor corrected

Will,
I am an addict for old equipment!......... That said, any peice of equipment meant to handle max. 12mins of work every hour has got to be even in the manufacturers opinion a peice of dogs..t. it probably has a good deal of copper inside. possibly worth twice its commercial value stripped and sold as scrap............Stripped i.e. clean copper is worth a heck of a lot more than a whole machine!

Thing is until you get into an industrial welder, 20% duty cycle, weld 2 minutes, wait 8 minutes. If you pull the covers off and the coil is still fully varnished with no obvious burns on it, it probably is still good as a welder, even if it isn't industrial grade. (Or do you have better already?)

If the varnish is falling off, there are signs of burning inside, not just piles of dirt and dark varnish, then maybe it is better to scrap it anyways. If it is broken, then strip it apart and maximize the value you get!

Phil

Thing is until you get into an industrial welder, 20% duty cycle, weld 2 minutes, wait 8 minutes. If you pull the covers off and the coil is still fully varnished with no obvious burns on it, it probably is still good as a welder, even if it isn't industrial grade. (Or do you have better already?)

If the varnish is falling off, there are signs of burning inside, not just piles of dirt and dark varnish, then maybe it is better to scrap it anyways. If it is broken, then strip it apart and maximize the value you get!

Phil
I have found consumer grade welders extremely disappointing. There are many older industrial machines around for good prices people think they are too much because they are big but they weld just right.

Phil
I have found consumer grade welders extremely disappointing. There are many older industrial machines around for good prices people think they are too much because they are big but they weld just right.