• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

here are two things that sortof followed me home in the past few weeks.Picked up the guillotine tool off of ebay and the stake was from an auction locally. Just taking abreak right now( working on clearing out where my "new" forge is going to go).

2999.attach

3000.attach

3001.attach

here are two things that sortof followed me home in the past few weeks.Picked up the guillotine tool off of ebay and the stake was from an auction locally. Just taking abreak right now( working on clearing out where my "new" forge is going to go).

Nice scores.

The guillotine tool is a cable cutter.

Frosty

Bear,
The guillotine tool looks like a crimper to put terminals on large electrical cables. Let us know how it works as a guillotine tool.

John

Frosty replied as I was typing

Yeah, I'm sneaky that way John. ;)

We carried a cable cutter just like it on the drill rig for field repairs, so I'm pretty sure of what it is. That doesn't mean I'm right, there could be details of the contact surfaces that'd change my mind.

Frosty

Picked up 8' of 1/4" square stock off the side of the road on the way home for lunch today.

Bear I use my stake like that for penannular brooches and bracelets---using a wooden mallet to bend the metal around it either hot or cold as needed.

I'd say cable cutter all the heavy duty electrical cable we worked with uses hydraulic crimping tools to get it done just right---750 MCM

...all the way from southwest Michigan :) Here's a teaser.

I forgot my camera takes huge photos that don't fit in the gallery, so I'll post the link to them on flickr for now.

Flickr: Photos from the_sandy_creek_forge

Read more about my newest toy under the "machinery" thread in the forums.

-Aaron @ the SCF

EDIT: yep...so big that the teaser photo wouldn't even show up when I linked to it from flickr......dumb technology anyways.....

I stopped by the local machine recycler/refurbisher (70+ year old man). I was looking for a trip hammer/power hammer. Found a power rivet hammer, I dont know if it would do any good or not? If anyone has expertise in that area let me know. Anyhow, as I was skulking around, ahem, I mean looking, I spied an old Atlas tabletop metal shaper. It was in pretty rough condition but appeared to all be there except the vise. I casually remarked on it to Bob. He replied that it worked and he was asking $200. I let it drop and looked around for another 15 minutes or so. later I asked what a shaper did, he replied that they were pretty much obsolete, etc and he would sell it for $150. SOLD!!! He plugged it up and it cycled though the power feed would not engage. It has been home now for 4 hours and is completely tore apart and I am in the process of scraping all the old layers of paint off. It will undoubtedly be done by the weekend and I will hopefully be able to post pictures soon. By the way the power feed gear is pretty worn and that is why she wouldn't engage.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up today( actually got it off ebay for just over $300). Considering a new one costs about $2400 its a good deal. Every thing is there and it seems to be in good working condition( just needs a good cleaning).

Sean

3112.attach

3113.attach

Rolled up on a yard sale today had a Pexto sheet metal brake and a Pexto sheet metal shear that had just sold for $150 for the pair :-( My karma was seriously screwed up! Went to another Yard sale guy had just sold an Atlas 6 inch lathe for $300 and another small geared head Jet lathe :-( The bright side is that I found a vise for my Atlas shaper for $5 and bought several 1/2 hp motors for 1$ each one of which was a geared reducing motor. Also picked up a like new clamping kit for my mill $20 and 30 lbs of bolts for $3. About 10 lbs of that 30 is all brass :-)

Steve

Neighbor had a Sears lawn mower that the Sears repairman could not get to run. She knows "I do blacksmithing" and ask if I wanted it. This is what we brought home.

Carb needed cleaned, the loose parts were put back on, and it fired right up. Now we are trying to grease in ALL the fittings, straighten the blades, and give it a once over for any problems. There is some rust on it but nothing a wire brush and some paint won't cure.

I told her I would cut her smallish yard for the rest of the summer in return for the mower.

3121.attach

Neighbor had a Sears lawn mower that the Sears repairman could not get to run. She knows "I do blacksmithing" and ask if I wanted it. This is what we brought home.

Carb needed cleaned, the loose parts were put back on, and it fired right up. Now we are trying to grease in ALL the fittings, straighten the blades, and give it a once over for any problems. There is some rust on it but nothing a wire brush and some paint won't cure.

I told her I would cut her smallish yard for the rest of the summer in return for the mower.

Yeouch!!!,
Thats gotta hurt to ride that thing whitesmith! If your gonna cut the lady's lawn you are really paying for that free mower! :D

jj,

The week before my wife and I hit like 15 different sales and scored a big fat zero. A month earlier I went in to a local flea market and picked up 2 Mousehole anvils 90 lbs + or - for $95 and the other for $55 at two separate vendors. The $55 one was beat up pretty badly and had the rear feet broken off but is a mid 1800's near as I can tell. I won't use it but I will give it a safe home along with my Peter Wright and my other new Mousehole.

Thanks
Steve

A wire brush and a little paint can inprove the looks of most things.

There was a lot of rust pitting on the mower deck, so it had to be removed, completely wire brushed top and bottom, and then painted. I found two spray cans in the blacksmith shop that had been on the shelf way too long. They were looking for a project so the deck is blue.

3147.attach