• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"money helps!".............Money helps? WOW, that's a new one I thought this was all free stuff :( Oh, the sadness that now envelopes me. I thought that you fellows were getting all this stuff for nothing but your good looks and charming personalities. :blink:
I was given a very rusty and pitted hammer head does that count? <_<

It is about what you get, where you find it, and how you came across it. in order to help others know where to look and wht to expect when they find stuff. and yes salvage and free truely is best, but any advice is best. AND of course we all like to look at the nice pretty picturess ...lol.

i sell my knifes at bow hunting shoots, gun shows, flee markets, and a glass blowing shop in Ohio i get 1/2 commission. maybe when i buy some more titanium i will sell them on ebay for all to see. 110 pounds do not go very far considering it cost $1500.

xxxx i made 250 of those suckers they sold fast i will try to see if i still have a few. then comes the part of my stupid camera. i am going to buy a 110 lbs round bar of titanium in 1 year or 2 i defiantly can get you pics of that. even know the bar is $2500 i make i lot off of every one. they take 11/2 times as long to forge tough. but they are worth 10 times as much one the right market. that bar only lasted 3 months. and the knifes 1/2 that. no kidding them knifes sell fast.

Why don't you spend some of that big money on a camera, some coal and some real steel to make your gun barrel out of.

Then you can either put up some pictures or start talking sense.

Too bad TI won't get hard enough to take and HOLD an edge. The hardest is will get is about R46 and that is way too soft for a blade. With that said there are some exotic Beta TI's out there that will get hard and hold an edge. But that material is not available to most people and if you do manage to get some the heat treatment of it is not something you can do in a home shop.

Titanium. A knovelty knife for knife knuts. :rolleyes:

Some SCUBA divers use them for their corrosion resistance, and some military units for its nonmagnetic properties.

Then again, I want to make a Beryllium copper knife, just because I have quite a bit of CuBe bar stock on hand. Yes, I am aware of the hazards, and I am in contact with our supplier for their safety info on this material. Non magnetic, non sparking, and very different. Not for an everyday knife, just an exercise in manufacturing.

Now to keep this thread on track.

For my latest freebie score from the attic at work. I got a big bundle of new band saw blades that don't fit any of the saws we currently have. 9'8" in length, now I have to see if they fit any of my saws.

A 2'x4'x6' 6 shelf wood shelving unit that will go good down in the basement.

A set of 4 big Dexter Axle electric brake shoe assemblies, and magnets.

A pair of regular jack stands.

It also looks like I may be getting several hundred pounds of large tumbling media of various shapes, and grits. Should know by the end of the week.

So last week I was lucky enough to pick up this little guy. Granted it is on the small side, but it was inexpensive and is in good condition. I just have to make tooling for it now. Pics for your viewing pleasure. The threads on the screw are really sharp, I just need to clean it up a bit as there is some dirt in the grease and the lube it. Overall not bad at all for the price.

post-3506-0-40652400-1291868911_thumb.jp

post-3506-0-17769700-1291868959_thumb.jp

post-3506-0-85602300-1291868962_thumb.jp

The advice often given - talk to the rail crews... This afternoon while my wife was at a doctor's appt I took my grandson to the coal burning power plant a couple blocks away where he was happy to see some trains moving coal around. When I was getting him back in the car, I noticed we were parked next to a small railroad work site and there just so happened to be a crew dropping stuff off... I asked where the nearest maintenance office is so I could see about buying some spikes and some small chunks of rail to make an anvil for my grandson...

The kind gentleman tells me to wait a couple minutes and he comes back a few minutes later with a 2' chunk of rail and a dozen used spikes..... He was quite happy to be thanked with a RR Spike knife. His parting words - we never met and you didn't get any scrap from here... Works for me!

Of course the wife was NOT happy to find a bunch of rusty metal in her Charger when we got home tonight... Oops!

I remember reading about making a brake drum forge at one point, and after doing nothing for a weekend I decided to see if I could find a nice brake drum to make a forge with. After about 15 minutes in the junk yard this is what followed me home today for $10.00. I figured since it was in such nice shape it was worth it.

Can anyone tell me where they have found information about making one of these forges I would like to see if my ideas fit an actual design.

Thanks.

post-15635-0-29720500-1292275940_thumb.j

post-15635-0-62816900-1292275997_thumb.j

I bought a Dixon #6 and #19 hammers at an estate sale Sunday after church for $1 apiece. I missed the mother load of stakes & hammers by about 15 minuets. These were not with the rest of the stuff, they were in with the kitchen tools, you know the spatulas, egg whisks, that kind of stuff. Looked like they had been used to drive nails. Now they are all nice and pretty, ready to work silver again. :P
The lady running the estate sale said the guy before me bought about 40 pieces of equipment for $2 apiece since it was the last day of the estate sale. There were hardly any tools worth having when I was there. Just shovels and rakes left in that garage. :(

That reminds me of when I bought my 360# Sodefors anvil at a machine shop auction. The guy who loaded it for us said that forklifting an anvil into a Cadillac was first for him. :P

Got one better for ya. Worked in a sub basement under a strip mall. Water leak under the main parking lot.2 brothers
who owned the mall said NO to the cost to dig up the lot. Did it with picks and shovel. Shoveled the dirt back in then drove their new Caddie and Lincoln to the asphalt plant and each got a trunk full of hot asphalt to do the patch. Both were worth over a Mil at the time. (guess thats how they got there)
Ken.

One of the guys who owned a drilling company(drilling for oil)used to buy a new Caddy every couple years and have it delivered to a body shop that would turn it into an El Camino.
You`d see it by his rigs with drilling tools in the bed.I want to say it was King drilling but not sure,it was a while back.

One of the guys who owned a drilling company(drilling for oil)used to buy a new Caddy every couple years and have it delivered to a body shop that would turn it into an El Camino.
You`d see it by his rigs with drilling tools in the bed.I want to say it was King drilling but not sure,it was a while back.

The process wouldn't be too different than the way they cut down Caddy's to make hearses.

BentIron; reminds me of the estate sale they were having at a Q-S where there was a pile of grotty tongs in a wooden crate with a sign saying $5 apiece. When I dug through the tongs I found that underneath them was a pile of Lynch Collection hammer heads. As it was a sale for another blacksmith I asked if they meant for them to be $5 as well and they said yes---I bought 11!