I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Craigslist Rochester had an ad under tools, turns out a relative long since dead was a blacksmith farrier, the sons of the current owner had no interest in the tools. pretty much just tongs and some odd tools, pictured here, I could use some help identifyint the wierd ones, but got em for a good buy, and maybe he will let go of his anvil at some later time, no hardies etc, but lots of tongs, aprox 70. of course several nippers were in the bunch, but he discounted those, and tossed in the hammers you see in the back, it's been a good day, I'll pass the savings along to whoever in the group wants to buy some. I just have to pick out the ones I want first.

post-4158-091848700 1283203164_thumb.jpg

post-4158-040785800 1283203220_thumb.jpg

post-4158-031415100 1283203339_thumb.jpg

post-4158-061753500 1283203372_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much you want for the gray hammer? (Like I need it or something condsidering the condition I'm in.) That's an interesting compoud linkage on that one nipper, overall you done very good with all of those tongs, You can set up begining smiths with all kinds of tongs for a long while( off subject but how did you do on your civil service test?)

Nice score Mike!

In pic two, the tool with four rolling blades is a pipe cutter.

The #3 looks like a nail puller but isn't though it works in a similar manner. If there's a patent # on it Google it.

Nice hammers too. The gray one that's like a BIG rounding hammer is (I think) a "plate" hammer. It'd be used to straighten or form plate over 1/4" or so. I have a double bit one about 9lbs but I don't know how to use one. When I was WAY little, maybe 4-5 I remember Dad straightening out a piece of dished plate with one just like mine. I sure wish I'd known what he was doing and why. I use mine as a BIG rounding hammer now.

Frosty the Lucky.

I was told the big domed hammer was a boilermaker's hammer; I have two and armourer's like them for dishing!

They are different from the british version as I once ran across a box of WWII surplus "Hammer's, Boilermakers, 1 ea" with the broad arrow on them. (Managed to keep *one* of them for my hammer rack the rest went FAST at Quad-State)

Since tailgating is free at Quad-State I'd suggest dragging what you want down there; marking your price on them and leaving a can out for the money---what I used to do.

Thanks for the responses fellows!! Bentiron, I placed #1 in my county, so I did ok. The leftover tongs will either go to quad state or just wait for a needy newbie!! But they look good on my rack for now!! The doming boilermakers hammer will go into my collection, I have 2 others, one is a huge thing!!

Found this Dake benchtop screwpress in the back of my van when I got home today. I'll never tell how it got there...lol!

It's tiny... only 21" across. Model P 10 according to the manufacturer plate. Not sure what I'll do with it but I'm bound to find something.

4949260693_5079bf508c.jpg

Found this Dake benchtop screwpress in the back of my van when I got home today. I'll never tell how it got there...lol!

It's tiny... only 21" across. Model P 10 according to the manufacturer plate. Not sure what I'll do with it but I'm bound to find something.

4949260693_5079bf508c.jpg

Make a nice hi end nut cracker if nothing else. Grin.
Ken.

Yard sale finds ... misc. lengths 1/4" round bar used to tie up bundles of rebar (handles for striking tools), various pieces flat bar and some heavy wall box channel, scissor jack (great acme screw), 18# no-name sledge, and an 18x18" cast iron grate. Total outlay $7 Cash and $3 gas :D

Cast grate will be top of a small sit-down welding table - no heavy hitting here. The sledge will be hammer for an Ollie I will build this fall - lotsa heavy hitting there ... I've been looking for a sledge this size for 8 months.

Late note: Just started cleaning the sledge hammer head, removed the broken handle and cleared most of the thick covering of rust off ... has the Atha Tool logo, horseshoe shape with word "Atha" clearly visible and the large "A" in the center. So, it's maybe 80+ years old. Both faces dinged, one has large chip missing and other has small chip missing. The face with the small chip missing is easily dressed. Any thoughts about a value?? Should it be shelved for display/conversation or do I put the old girl to use? I'm thinking finish cleaning it up (leave faces alone)and make it a display piece for old times sake.

post-10988-019742100 1283721499_thumb.jp

Yard sale finds ... misc. lengths 1/4" round bar used to tie up bundles of rebar (handles for striking tools), various pieces flat bar and some heavy wall box channel, scissor jack (great acme screw), #18 no-name sledge, and an 18x18" cast iron grate. Total outlay $7 Cash and $3 gas :D

Cast grate will be top of a small sit-down welding table - no heavy hitting here. The sledge will be hammer for an Ollie I will build this fall - lotsa heavy hitting there ... I've been looking for a sledge this size for 8 months.

Nice. I need to move near you. Best I find are plastic child toys and VCR's. Neither last long in a forge :P

Since I scored those tongs, I thought I'd better reorganize my tongs rack, and since I was doing that, I decided to do the hammer racks, did not get to the shaper tools, you can see them below the tongs on the last pic, but what the heck. some newbies have contacted me for some of the tongs, so now I gotta figure out how to get them out to the boys who can use em. I have some tongs that look like they are made to hold pipe by the end, kinda cool, and some wierd ones with a split on one part and a straight on the other, discovering what these are all for is kinda fun actually!! Just hit control minus, to shrink the pics a bit!

post-4158-097025500 1283888088_thumb.jpg

post-4158-020983900 1283888307_thumb.jpg

post-4158-071161600 1283888347_thumb.jpg