I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Phil there was a company on the far west side of Columbus that sold used machine tool parts (on Phillipi rd south of 70 on the west side---I'll edit this when I remember the name...) They also had a branch in Lima, also the used machinery dealers might have piece parts hiding in their stashes---the one in the old part of Columbus used to have a yearly tent sale to get rid of the small stuff that built up from selling off entire factories.

EDCO Tool & Supply
COLUMBUS 445 Phillipi Rd Columbus, Ohio 43228 (614) 276-8181. Fax: (614) 276-8285 ... Lima, Ohio 45804 (419) 228-6176. Fax: (419) 228-9066. edco@edcotool.com.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are threaded back lathe chucks the same thread for most models? If I measure the lathe, and count threads per inch is that all i would need?

Thanks Thomas, I'll check it out.
Phil

For that size lathe they come in pretty standard sizes.You got it,Diameter and TPI(usually 8 per inch for this application) are what you need to know.

Pull up MSC on the web. They have charts showing the different mounts for chucks with dimensions.

If you were out this way I could set you up with some contacts, but a chuck for that lathe should be an easy one to locate.

You can make your own lathe dogs.

Cracked 4 jaw chuck- some are steel, and can be welded. Cast can also be repaired, but you would need to determine the cost benefit ratio.

I have bought stacks of chucks from 8"-16" at auctions for $25 a piece, and a machinery dealer I know has paid as little as $8 ea. There are a lot of them available, so shop around.

I just picked these up from an elderly gentleman today:

post-4446-078118900 1279688316_thumb.jpg

He also had 2 very nice forges he wanted me to buy. Right now I don't have the room or the money. If anyone fancies a trip to Canada about 3 hours north of North Dakota to pick up a forge, drop me a line and I will put you in touch with the owner.

Good score Mark -

What do you call the small set of "tongs"? I have the same set and use them all the time. They seem to be a glorified pair of pliers. I thought you may know the former use of name?

Where are you in Sask? My Brother and Sister-in-Law live about 30 miles East of Regina.

John

Thanks John.

I am still a relative newbie to this gig, so I hope someone else can provide some insight to the correct names of the tongs (besides my calling them 'grabby thingys'.

I live right in Regina. It sounds like your brother lives around Indian Head? If that's the case, he lives within 45 minutes of where those 2 forges are.

Small Tongs - Double Y: The smaller tongs showen in Sask Mark's picture are 'Gas Fitters pliers' or so I've have been told they several reliable and experienced folks. I've have a set myself, and they're very handy for small work pieces. Also those pliers are not a very common find.

Don

Mark, the tongs in the center of your pics. do you know what the name on them are?Just picked up a pair like them.Anyone have a idea what there intended use is?Thks Dave.

I have seen similar ones without the notches referred to as 'Round Tongs':
http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/Templates/cart_templates/cart-detail.php?theLocation=/Resources/Products/Tongs_and_Pliers/Orange_Round_Tongs

Once again, I will defer to the more experienced members...

I set up the Mead BandSander today with the 1/6 Hp motor that came with it. It is a 1x42, and some new belts were had from Lowes. Works great and is somewhat hard to stall, even though the motor is 1/2 the size specified.

It is definitely a "face shield" tool, about 30 seconds of grinding and I felt like I spent a windy day at the beach with grit in my eyes.

Huh? What was that Watson?
Watson, you know that kind of language is not appropriate for IFI.

Phil

Every now and then, I visit the neighborhood sales to see if there is an anvil available. Have had some humorous and not so humorous near misses.

I just bought a bottle of Stoody 85 TG hardfacing powder for a few bucks. I thought I could use it for some substitute anvil hardfacing experiments. After searching this stuff on the web, it looks like it contains tungsten carbide powder as a major ingredient, and would probably not be appropriate. Does anybody have any idea for alternate uses?

Every now and then, I visit the neighborhood sales to see if there is an anvil available. Have had some humorous and not so humorous near misses.

I just bought a bottle of Stoody 85 TG hardfacing powder for a few bucks. I thought I could use it for some substitute anvil hardfacing experiments. After searching this stuff on the web, it looks like it contains tungsten carbide powder as a major ingredient, and would probably not be appropriate. Does anybody have any idea for alternate uses?

ev I would tend to stay away from any hard surface product. most I have seen give a hard thickness too thin to be worth much.
ken

That stuff is meant for a wear resistant coating in a similar manner to case hardening. I wonder if it would poison a forge welded billet, the nickle content would look good if it worked.
Phil

I went to the antique fair in Moss Landing yesterday in search of a borax soap dispenser and after 4 hours of searching and asking around I found the wholly grail (first booth where I entered of course). Also picked up a set of babbit scraperspost-10376-063873300 1280155694_thumb.jppost-10376-047116700 1280155752_thumb.jppost-10376-068282600 1280155739_thumb.jppost-10376-039446700 1280155746_thumb.jp

I went to the antique fair in Moss Landing yesterday in search of a borax soap dispenser and after 4 hours of searching and asking around I found the wholly grail (first booth where I entered of course). Also picked up a set of babbit scraperspost-10376-063873300 1280155694_thumb.jppost-10376-047116700 1280155752_thumb.jppost-10376-068282600 1280155739_thumb.jppost-10376-039446700 1280155746_thumb.jp

Follow directions now and don`t forget to moisten your hands before you run that hot steel under the dispenser. ;)

I know it has been a bit since I was on here, but I had to tell somebody that might actually appreciate what I found today. I told my wife and from the look on her face she couldn't have cared less. In fact I think she even said don't you have one of those?

Today I went to my favorite scrap yard and spent about four hours walking around with some friends. The walk started out pretty depressing. Last time I was there they had a couple tons of high carbon 1/4" rod that I was hoping to snag more of, but the whole pile was gone this time. That made me sad, so I spent some more time walking around and stumbled upon two really good finds. The first major find was two steel tubs of Champion Forge Blowers! I quickly snagged one of the samller ones, a model 60A, that turns freely. The second find was a 4 3/8" Iron City Post Vise in great condition! I spied it about a 1/4 of the way up one of the scrap mountains, quickly climbed up, and yanked it free. The total bill for a blower, a post vise, and a couple of springs $38.00, -Not bad.

Scott

post-9521-081325800 1280177252_thumb.jpg

post-9521-023633300 1280177254_thumb.jpg

post-9521-081991200 1280177255_thumb.jpg

post-9521-083099400 1280177256_thumb.jpg

post-9521-074453700 1280177257_thumb.jpg

I know it has been a bit since I was on here, but I had to tell somebody that might actually appreciate what I found today. I told my wife and from the look on her face she couldn't have cared less. In fact I think she even said don't you have one of those?

Today I went to my favorite scrap yard and spent about four hours walking around with some friends. The walk started out pretty depressing. Last time I was there they had a couple tons of high carbon 1/4" rod that I was hoping to snag more of, but the whole pile was gone this time. That made me sad, so I spent some more time walking around and stumbled upon two really good finds. The first major find was two steel tubs of Champion Forge Blowers! I quickly snagged one of the samller ones, a model 60A, that turns freely. The second find was a 4 3/8" Iron City Post Vise in great condition! I spied it about a 1/4 of the way up one of the scrap mountains, quickly climbed up, and yanked it free. The total bill for a blower, a post vise, and a couple of springs $38.00, -Not bad.

Scott

First,incredible score man!
The wife will be greatly impressed if you were to go back and buy those blowers by the pound only to turn around and sell them for about 4+ times the money either here or on either Craig`s list or Flea-bay.
I`ll bet you could unload a few of them here if you posted them.
Better hurry though,remember what happened to that pile of 1/4" HCS rod!

The blower cost me $10, by the pound price for mixed Al & Steel. The outside diameter of the casting is about 7 1/2" the inside fan of the one I have is steel finned, others there were cast Al, like the case. The gears look like steel. Some of the input shafts were milled others were not. They are out in the rain and elements so they have some water in the blower section and might be in the gearbox. They way I checked out the blowers was to try and turn the fan first and go from there. When I could get the fan to spin then I put an adjustable wrench on the input shaft and gave it a crank or two. Most of them hummed away pretty good and blew dirty water, leaves, and the occasional mouse nest all over me. Some had a little noise but nothing binding. Since I do not know the actual condition of these things, I cannot guarantee them other than a good spin test.

If you are really interested let me know I will go and get one for you. I hate to see these things go to waste and would like to help others out. I would like to let them go for as cheap as possible, blower plus S&H. That being said do not ask for all of them.

Let me know,

Scott

Here is a couple more shots of the blower gearbox and fan rust.

post-9521-039327000 1280253682_thumb.jpg

post-9521-031398900 1280253685_thumb.jpg

post-9521-084942500 1280253687_thumb.jpg

The blower cost me $10, by the pound price for mixed Al & Steel. The outside diameter of the casting is about 7 1/2" the inside fan of the one I have is steel finned, others there were cast Al, like the case. The gears look like steel. Some of the input shafts were milled others were not. They are out in the rain and elements so they have some water in the blower section and might be in the gearbox. They way I checked out the blowers was to try and turn the fan first and go from there. When I could get the fan to spin then I put an adjustable wrench on the input shaft and gave it a crank or two. Most of them hummed away pretty good and blew dirty water, leaves, and the occasional mouse nest all over me. Some had a little noise but nothing binding. Since I do not know the actual condition of these things, I cannot guarantee them other than a good spin test.

If you are really interested let me know I will go and get one for you. I hate to see these things go to waste and would like to help others out. I would like to let them go for as cheap as possible, blower plus S&H. That being said do not ask for all of them.

Let me know,

Scott

Here is a couple more shots of the blower gearbox and fan rust.

If it`ll fit in a large flat rate box I`ll take one.Aluminum or steel fan,whichever`s easier as the shipping will be the same.

I purchased these for cheap, I think I got a great deal. They are wrought iron, finely made, there is a "7" stamped on one of the legs, but they span slightly better than 8".
I really dig these stinkin' things. The age of the tool I would not be able to guess, until I did some research. I can't imagine when the last time is they made tools from wrought iron?

post-2133-054915500 1280281170_thumb.jpg

post-2133-060008000 1280281191_thumb.jpg

post-2133-062487500 1280281209_thumb.jpg

post-2133-057284400 1280281221_thumb.jpg