I Forge Iron

Random signs of the apocalypse

JHCC

18 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

that’s more work then the weeds are worth!

Not when you left the farm and gained 35lbs of pure fat!  My bodies not used to it so I am going manual when ever I can.  What cc is your favorite forging hammer again?  ;)

One would think I would sweat it off here. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh . . . I have no comeback for sing along blogs. I don't think my reading was ever out there. I might have to check it out though, I do like theater of the absurd.  

Goat's eyes glow gold naturally, red would be kind of a downgrade. 

No hammer mill teeth and steel mill furnace digestive system leaving refined steel CyborGoat pellets in your smoldering parking lots? One of the 4 "stomach" chambers separates the oil and other flammables to fuel it's furnace and run it's steam powered muscles. 

Corkscrew horns and red eyes, kind of wimpy Cyborg goat don't you think? Get with the program will ya? It's weirdness Tuesday after all.

Frosty The Lucky.

"Villainous Villains" is not a double negative, as "villain" is not the negative of anything (even if it is the opposite of "hero" etc).

A linguistics professor is lecturing to their class about how in some languages (like English) a double negative is a positive, while in others (like Latin) a double negative is an emphatic negative, and says that there is no language where a double positive is a negative. From the back of the lecture hall, a student responds, "Yeah, right."

As long as we don't see the Cobalt Cat or the Hydrogen Dog -

From "The Space Child's Mother Goose"

THE HYDROGEN DOG & THE COBALT CAT

The Hydrogen dog And the Cobalt cat,
side by side in the armory sat,
Nobody thought about fusion or fission.
Everyone spoke of their peace time mission,
till somebody came and opened the door.
There they were, in a neutron fog.
The Codrogen Cat And the Hybalt dog;
they mushroomed up with a terrible roar,
and nobody never was there no more."

-Frederick Winsor

John your statement about the word villain is only valid if you ignore the context. Which is further corroborated by the statement that it's used as a negative is based on a story named or containing the contents, "The Evil League Of Evil," from "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog." 

What is any language without context but alphabet soup?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

The more cheap electric junk that gets sold the more I’m bein pestered by customers with electric weed eaters, blowers, chainsaws, pole saws ect…

then there’s the folks with the electric mowers, four wheelers, golf carts and golf cart chargers ect..

then I’ve also had people bring stuff that’s not even related to off road machines!!!!

like electric ice cream makers, electric meat grinders, and commercial restaurant deli meat slicers!!!

my is mid county small engine repair….

not Tesla….

I have no training no diagnosis equipment no specialty tools for that type of work

but i figure out an fix what electric stuff I that I can for folks

but I gotta wonder what posses people to bring stuff like that to a small engine shop in the first place?:huh:

i wonder if this is how blacksmiths felt when steam powered machinery first appeared in factory’s and started replacing their handmade work and their jobs…

then the electric machines started replacing the steam guys jobs a hundred years ago…

then robots started replacing the factory workers that ran the electric machines 40 years ago…

I wonder how long I’ve got left before my country small engine shop is like that country blacksmith shop was all those years ago?:blink:

TW, better get up to speed, for most home owners electric is a better deal. No bad gas and gummed up carbs.

i remember a neighbor putting a 1-1/2 110 ac electric motor on his tiller. As he only used it once a year the extencial cord wasn’t any worse than one on a floor buffer. 

I do have a “small” engine. 1300 cc Suzuki, lol 

Billy, Folk bring you electric devices because the last small appliance/electric motor repair shop closed 20 years ago.  I'm sure that you find that many things have a sealed plastic case and cannot be opened up for repair or parts replacement.

Yes, it is changing times like it always has been.  Here in Wyoming coal miners are retraining to work on wind turbines.

Like the blacksmith who learned to shoe horses in the 19th century or to repair automobiles in the 20th century you and many other folk will have to expand your skills and economic opportunities.  For good or ill electric motors and batteries are replacing internal combustion power.

I suspect that our next vehicle may be a hybrid.  Electric might be OK in an urban setting but in the wide open spaces and cold winters out here I'm hestitant to go 100% electric for a vehicle.  When you add decreased battery capicity from low temperatures to the need to run a heater I suspect that the advertised range would be reduced significantly.

Some of the younger smiths here may see a need to go to an induction forge because solid fuels and propane are unavailable.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Battery powered electric equipment is the future. It is growing fast. 

Anyway with signs of the apocalypse,  just been through my corn field and there aint much worth trying to sell. Between small plants, the deer and even more so the bugs, I got more in chicken feed than I do sellable ears.  So I'll be scrapping the selling sweet corn idea and just freezing the best of it, giving some to neighbors and friends and picking the junk for the chickens. 

Try again next year. 

Bought a new ear corn cutter earlier in the season. 

I shucked, am boiling and am loving this new cutter. Almost like an old slaw cutter on a board. It can do cut kernels or cream corn. I'm loving it. It is fast and efficient. 

No matter if I sell or put it away, I'm more concerned with having it put by. 

Next investment will be a pressure canner. And learning how to properly use it. Botulism is a killer. 

It’s coming for sure but i didn’t think it will be tomorrow 

I repair equipment here for federal, state, county, and city departments as well as Cherokee nation, fire departments, schools, street depts, utilities, ect…

and they are all still buying new gas an diesel fuel powered machines,in the tens of thousands,

Charles,

my home owner customers with electric are few an far between for now but I am starting to see it with them occasionally, I’m sure they will be the first groups to change over

I have yet to see any commercial company bothering with electric machines yet,

all the commercial landscape companies, logging companies, farmers, ranchers,  welders, ect.. are still buying engine powered machinery 

I’m not blind though I know that technology is just right around the corner…

with the amount of new high dollar machinery im seeing purchased now I think I’ll still be pretty steady for 20 years at the most an 15 at the least, after that I’m thinking there will be a steep an fast slow down, 

George,

it’s fun you mentioned small appliance repair, I haven’t seen a tv repair shop in over 20 years, 

The problem A lot of small appliances isn’t that I can’t tear them down but there’s no parts supply chain, you call the manufacture an they tell you they don’t carry parts, so I’ve had to do extensive online sleuthing to locate repair parts for stuff, 

the second problem with small appliances is in a lot of cases I can fix it but it would cost you more to have me repair it then you could just go buy a new one,

An even larger home appliance repair has slowed down, I used to repair washers an dryers too, but it became more hassle then the money was worth so I pulled out, 

I was just talking the other day with an appliance repair guy I know whos worked for a  big furniture an appliance store for 20 years and he told me outside of warranty work the calls are getting fewer an farther between,

im running the last small engine repair shop in the county the rest of them have all retired, folded up, burned down or passed away, ect… so I stay pretty busy because I’ll take on more then the big shops will,

everyone outside the county has turned into big dealerships; there’s not many more mom an pop shops left,

essentially the big shops only repair what they sale, or are required to repair by warranty,

I dunno what I’ll do yet when the market shifts electric maybe I’ll set on the side of the road and sale authentic creek made trinkets from my blacksmith shop lol

From 100% recycled, sustainably sourced, none gmo, organic, gluten free junk metal lol

Another random sign,,, There have been an increasing number of posts on the willys restoration sites for converting to electric.  

Hope this isn't political, its not meant that way.

The remainder of this comment crossed the line into political discussion and has been removed.

Edited by Mod34
Political content removed

"the rest of them have all retired, folded up, burned down or passed away, ect… "   And I'm *sure* Billy has an alibi for every last one of them!

Out here the electric company does their best to squash home owner solar tie in according to the folks with solar I've talked with... I was doing science fair experiments with solar cells back in the 1960's; my Father working for NASA and I could get a few...