I Forge Iron

Fill Your Tank Up

Scott NC

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never know what could happen, natural disaster, panic buying due to not so bad weather, cyber attacks, shortages, inflation, whatever. Best to be safe and stock a little back just in case if you can. 

If it is shelf stable try to have a backup so you dont have to worry or run out before the next shopping trip. If you can keep a little extra on longer lasting food you eat often, store a bit extra and rotate as you buy more. 

And Most important is keep extra forge fuel and forge stock!

24 minutes ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

by all means stick up! 

Oh no Scott, Billy knows what he means. His first sentence says it all, he uses the one sheet of Toilet paper method. Poke your finger through the center. Clean your butt and use the sheet of toilet paper to wipe your finger. 

Say Billy, do you fold a corner of the sheet so it's several layers thick to clean under your fingernail? How many generations would 4,000 rolls last you?

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't know if I'd resort to a stick up.

One backup pack of what you usually buy should get you through. 

Besides, if everyone that was hording at the beginning of the pandemic doesn't have enough for another year or two then They are in real trouble.

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Oh no Scott, Billy knows what he means

Good grief y’all… one Typo an I done woke up the Jerry! Lol :rolleyes:

I normally Have plenty of gasoline and diesel here at the shop for both my machines and my customers that I’m working on,

and our cabinets and fridge stay pretty much stocked all the time, 

like Randy I keep all the vehicles full as well as the tractors and four wheelers I use around here,

Only thing that’s been missing from my local Wally World since the shortages began a couple years ago is my favorite brand of frozen taquitos and favorite can of chilimac but other then that it hasn’t been to bad, 

As far as a cyber attacks goes, I really wish those dudes would use their knowledge to attack websites actually worth slowing down! 

like the car warranty phone call system Or the pop up ad companies! Lol

Around here it's a rat race to get what you need.  Store shelves are a joke.  I couldn't find saltine crackers for a long time.  I just got one of our freezers plugged in and am going today to see if I can find some meat to fill it with.  They never seem to run out of fatback and chicken feet. 

Chicken feet. Now there’s something to fill the freezer. :blink: Actually, I like chicken feet if cooked right. I was raised on offage. We didn’t throw anything away. You develop a taste for things you eat growing up. Chitterlings, maws, pig feet, cow tongue, chicken gizzards, and so on. I’d rather have these than a ribeye.

Back on subject, I still don’t know who is doing all the hoarding. Everybody I talk to are having the same problem finding stuff.

You can get ready. Another price hike is coming. Don’t know how some people make it.

12 minutes ago, Randy Griffin said:

You can get ready. Another price hike is coming. Don’t know how some people make it.

My battery company has went up three times in less than a year..

I now am paying more for a battery as a dealer then retail was 2 years ago! 

Scott, my grandpa an my dad both cooked corn dodgers pretty regularly, it s been years since I’ve had one

I  look on the positive side of things, cost of gas is my Magic 8-Ball:  Will I get to go to my Grandfather's 97? birthday this year in late March?    Last year Gas price: US$1.98 a gallon; nope everything locked down!  This year Gas price: over US$3.50 a gallon  looks like I may be travelling!

My wife has been getting "prepperitis"; only problem is she isn't taking into account all of our situation.  She went out and bought a couple bales of wood shavings to be able to make an improvised toilet according to the plans on her favorite site.  I pointed out that we are on a septic tank; proper "prepping" would be to get it pumped and then store up water and we would have indoor toilets working for several years!    Went out and bought battery powered led lights, I mentioned that I could find our oil lamps and matches in the dark that we use when there is a power outage already.  More oil would be a more cost effective buy.  (And have forged several "camping chandeliers"  that convert to solar charged lights just by dropping their stems in place.

Oh well it keeps her busy. 

A quick search of local gas prices show a $0.05 cents per gallon difference in this area.  For 20 gallons that is a $1.00 difference.  Makes you wonder if chasing down that bargain is worth the dollar after you factor in time, wear and tear on the car, mileage, and exposure to traffic and traffic hazards.

What people call "prepping" now a days was called living when i was a kid. We always "prepped" for winter. Canning veg and fruit, butchering and storing meat, making lard, soap, apple butter, etc. to be stored away. Anyway growing up like that "prepping" is just how i thought it was always done and has carried into my adult life. 

One thing about prepping that i cannot stress enough though, and i have seen some do this, is :  Do not forget the dog (cat or any other pet) doggos will need food, water and sometimes meds also. 

That's how I grew up Billy.  We didn't butcher anything but chickens but we knew farmers that did.  Learned to fix just about everything.  For the last 20+ years we did the farm market thing, everything we didn't sell, give away or donate was canned or frozen or dehydrated.  Fruit juice, veggies, every year we had at least 8 five gallon buckets of potatoes in the cellar door for winter, they never froze.  It was kind of comforting knowing it was there.  We bought some essentials at the store.  Now we sold the farm and it feels downright bizzare having to buy everything at the store.  One thing I used to like about the store was fuel points though.  I had a LOT of gas cans and a fuel barrel on the farm and the savings really added up.  I'm working on raised beds as fast as I can at the moment.  

When Y2K was approaching, I filled 2 55 gal drums with gasoline at $.98 a gallon, treated with Stabil. It took me the better part of 2000 to use it up. When we added the addition to the shop, I moved the barrels into it and discovered one barrel still had about 10 gallons in it. The gasoline still smelled good so I added some to the old Willy's Overland M38A1 Jeep and it ran just fine. Those old Willy's would run on kerosene.:D