I Forge Iron

Fill Your Tank Up

Scott NC

I keep more docile breeds of chickens. Geese can be very mean and Messy. I won't keep those again. I'll pass on ducks as they are really messy as well. 

I almost lost an eye to a rooster when I was little so I won't keep aggressive birds, especially with my young daughters. 

Egg chickens aren't the best eating. Free range are even tougher. You have to brine them and cook low and slow. Not like meat birds that are ready to butch and eat in around 7- 9 weeks. I keep wanting to get a munch to raise and fill the freezer but I'm not setup to do many birds at once and I get no help from Liz or the kids with that stuff yet. 

For butching chickens I use a road cone with the bottom "foot" cut off and the tip cut down. I can hang it so I plop them in head first and dispatch them that way cutting the jugulars. It's not much struggle. Personally never did it with the old head chop. 

I've never enjoyed dispatching an animal. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We’re on our way home from my mom’s place. My son was doing number 1 behind a dumpster and got chased by a random rooster just a little while ago. 
Just thought it was funny. We’re stopping for dinner, I checked the forum and saw where the conversation turned. 

We used to have problems with Canada Geese where I worked in Ohio; lots of empty lawn with water near by.  The would foul the walks---a bigger problem for a friend of mine who was in a wheelchair!  And chase people to boot.  I had read an article that a neighboring municipality had been using dogs to move them on from their parks; so the next time a couple tried to gang up on me; I started barking at them!  They stopped and looked so perplexed and moved away when I kept barking and walking...turns out the "crazier than thou"  worked on those geese too.

Lol Thomas. Might try that if I run into a pack of angry geese. I've told my buddy before while kayaking to avoid the geese and stay as far away as we can, especially when they have young ones. Like other side of the river far away. He was interested in seeing their young ones and I know very well what can happen when you are on land let alone sitting on a narrow vessel in the water almost at eye level with them. 

A couple friends and I had a little trouble with a Loon on a canoe trip once. She wasn't particularly aggressive and did some spectacular things trying to lead or drive us off. When we got to the next lake and deeper water she kept swimming under the canoe and hitting the bottom. Her most spectacular trick was to pop out of the water next to the canoe sort of tread water vertically wings spread wide and yell at us. Any idea how loud a loon is from 2'?

We never saw the nest and weren't interested in bothering anything but some lake trout. It was memorable.

Frosty The Lucky.

Probably as memorable as when a very large cottonmouth dropped out of a tree along the bank of Lake Okeechobee in Florida. Needless to say, I gave it the canoe for as long as it wanted it.

A friend of mine had that happen also. However he must have forgot he was in a canoe and shot a large hole in the bottom with a 12 gauge shotgun.

I like to kayak and I live in Louisiana. I give geese just as much a wide berth as gators! Luckily, the geese think they’re a match for the gators so I usually don’t have to worry about the geese. 

Lol, great stories. Shooting Into the canoe is a bad idea. Haven't been assaulted yet but I imagine a large knife is good. Far as snakes, yeah. Give them room. Thankfully never been air assaulted by snakes (or bees for that matter). I usually inspect any tree I go under. So far so good. 

A cottonmouth from the sky, oh how good! Bummer there aren't any snakes in Alaska even though they escape occasionally they usually don't last long into fall. It might be a good excuse to forge a pair or two of long handled snake grabber tongs. 

Failing that I'd have to try a paddle as a snake spatula before abandoning boat. A snaketula? Wait does that sound like a Transylvanian snake?

Every once in a while you hear stories about folks landing halibut without shooting them first ad shooting holes in their boats. Sure just .22 long rifle but still, holes in your boat are holes in your boat. Fish boppers work on halibut but halibut can be too large to get close enough to do more than irritate them. We're talking broken bones or thrown out of the boat large halibut. One over 100lbs. can knock your boat to piece, imagine what a 600lber could do, welded aluminum is not halibut proof.

Frosty The Lucky.

Do y'all have winches on your boats?  I had to go in the crawl space today to check for a leak.  I imagine a skeleton would have room to wiggle around under there.  I got pretty well wedged under some water pipes when I started thinking about all the venemous, poisionious things nc has.  I think I saw a brown recluse...

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Failing that I'd have to try a paddle as a snake spatula before abandoning boat. 

As a youngster paddling my pirogue out through the swamps and "plarie" (local term for the marsh down Bayou Lafourche) snakes were common, but moccasins DID command special attention. I used a paddle to encourage one to leave my pirogue, but then made the mistake of trying to further discourage him with the paddle while he was in the water. Instead of hitting with the edge, I hit with the flat. The paddle immediately disassociated into three separate pieces and the snake was not perturbed at all.  I had to get to shore with the remaining handle and cut a sapling to pole home.

Kids do the darndest things. Eh? I grew up with rattle snakes likely to turn up and happily never had a close call. Polite critters that they are they let you know if you're getting too close. The first official how to deal with them was IIRC in kindergarten. 

Something they don't tell you is the rattle is silent if the snake is swimming. I'm sure they're trying like heck to warn you off though. 

I caught a good sized diamond back on a single egg hook stream fishing once. Lil' Frosty says, "Hey Dad, look I caught a snake!" Without batting an eye he reached over with his cigarette and burned the line. "That was a rattler Butch, don't play with them like that just cut the line," and he went back to fishing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

A new friend took me panning a few weeks ago and thought it would be fun to scare the new guy.  He told me tales of moccasins.  Well he did and I'm wondering about him.  He had a buddy cast out a rubber snake on a fishing line and reeled it in towards me.  Scared the you know what out of me.  The bright side is, we had color in our pans, I know where to go and I don't need him.  I'll also bring a gun, most likely.  I have a legally sawed off 12 g.

• 2 weeks later...

I live on a spring fed creek,have a large garden,lots of game,salmon in the freezer   All the stuff the guys in silly "bug out bag" ads want...Don't need to go anywhere in hard times.. Only problem that could arise would be convincing city "bug out boys" that I still shoot straight..

Just got stuff to make charcoal with two barrels but haven't tried it yet... Anybody burning charcoal?

Oh the things I can't and won't say... haha. 

It's like having kids, don't mention a thing you don't want them to think about if you don't want them to have or do it. Cause then they obsess about it. Like icecream when they need to be eating dinner.