I Forge Iron

Fill Your Tank Up

Scott NC

Like Scott's taxing comments, Das?

My folks had a realistic if interesting approach to telling us NOT to do something dangerous. Dad would say, "Do NOT do (X)). This is how it's done" Knowing we'd give whatever a try anyway he'd tell us the safest way. Mother on the other hand would tell us, "Hurt yourself and you'll get a beating when you get home from the hospital."

By beating a swat with the wooden spoon was almost all it ever took, if we got two swats we'd gotten a beating. 

It was a good place to grow up.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol yeah Frosty, that which shall not be mentioned with those we do not speak of. 

Or something.... 

Oh that wooden spoon.. unfortunately my grandfather made good wooden spoons for his daughters. Because any cheap store bought wooden spoon surely would have broken. 

I have a wooden spatula blank that my grandfather started. I still have yet to finish it. 

Maybe the holes made it faster but I don't think aerodynamics matter to a mother that is fed up enough to be grabbing the wooden spoon for a behind wooping. And trying to block it just enraged them more and got you a smacked wrist, hand or knuckle on top of the behind haha. 

I will say having kids now, I understand the old "this hurts me more than you" saying. 

For my family it was an old fashioned yardstick for my Father; except he worked for Bell Labs and so it was a solid hard maple meter stick---narrower, thicker, stronger, longer.   Mom grew up on a farm in Oklahoma and she believed in cutting a switch.   I can only remember a few times getting paddled and clearly remember the WHY too.  I got to raise two battered kids through their adolescence and their younger experiences meant there was no linkage between the paddling and the WHY.  It happened often and randomly.  Messed up the kids' "cause and effect" system something terribly! 

• 4 weeks later...

It's the same guy, he has a set routine on the high wheelers and didn't look too much worse for the fall most times but that one he sure looked like he wanted the camera man to help untangle him. 

I wonder what he was getting paid.

Frosty The Lucky.

That first one reminded me of a more recent bike that someone built to have it steer reverse of which way you turn the handle bars. That person had people try to ride it and found it nearly impossible.  Then there was the spring frame bike someone built. 

Then the one in this video with the single handle that looked like lifting it was the brake? Lol. 

20 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Lefties are just sinister people!

What!?!? 
you sir have offended us left handed people! 

I’d throw my left glove at you an challenge you to a duel!….if you weren’t so far away! Lol

Sorry to change the subject back again, but I gotta gripe that kinda follows the original topic, 

a couple days ago I needed finish a hydro job on a zero turn mower, I ran into a local parts house and told the guy at the counter I wanted 12 quarts of castrol gtx 20w 50 oil…. He came back with a case an rang me up…. For $87 an some change!!! $7.25 a quart!!! :o

I didn’t wanna be rude an walk out so I reluctantly paid an went on,

I checked at a couple more places for prices on sae 30 and 10w 30 and 20w 50 on various brands and everything was $6-7 a quart,

even the cheapo harvest king oil made by Citgo at Atwood’s is up to $3.29 for conventional, used to be $1.98 not long ago,

so I got online today and did some cruising through various oil distributors, i found a super cheap Chinese oil company distributing across the US with free shipping on 55 gallon drums for $525, but I’d never heard of their oil an don’t trust it,

so I kept looking, I found a American oil company that offers free freight on 55 gallon drums and was $564 a drum,

now if my maths correct, a 55 gallon drum comes out to 220 quarts, at $564 that’s $2.56 a quart,

so can someone explain to me why buying it in a plastic bottle drives the price up so high?

also one more thing, I ordered a 1 pound part from ingersoll rand in Oklahoma City, 3 hrs west of me, and those guys charged me $64 freight! And took days to get here, 

but oil companies can ship a 55 gallon drum of oil free? :huh: Something ain’t makin no sense here