I Forge Iron

Pizza oven andiron

Roy Ubu

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the "Great Divide" there is a geographical oddity in Wyoming, Two Ocean Creek comes down off the Yellowstone Plateau near the SE corner of Yellowstone National Park and splits in two at The Parting of the Waters.  One side goes down the Atlantic drainage and the other to the Pacific.  A picture can be seen at:

https://earth.google.com/web/@44.04395051,-110.17303903,2507.76860778a,7982.65670099d,35y,0h,0t,0r/data=CkYaRBI-CiUweDUzNTI3NDUwMWU5M2QxOWI6MHhjMmM0MTI0M2Y3NzM2ZWUxKhVQYXJ0aW5nIG9mIHRoZSBXYXRlcnMYAyAB

Another oddity is that there is a large area in south central Wyoming ,the Great Divide Basin (aka the Red Desert), which is a closed basin which does not drain into either the Atlantic or Pacific.  When travelling west on I-80 you cross the Continental Divide into the Great Divide Basin from the Atlantic drainage and about 80 miles later cross it again from the Great Divide Basin into the Pacific drainage.  In both places it is pretty unremarkable high desert and you wouldn't know it except for the signs.  That is why the Oregon Trail, the transcontinental railroad, and I-80 go through Wyoming, no high, tough pass to get across the Continental Divide.

Not really blacksmithing related but still interesting, IMO.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

On 1/11/2022 at 12:10 PM, anvil said:

i think Wolf Creek Pass has been tamed a bit since C.W. Mcall and his chicken run,,

After looking at your picture, It looks and sounds like that’s prolly a road you don’t want a chromium plated fully illuminated genuine accessory shift knob on while hauling a load of chickens! 

Good Morning George,

The great Divide is very long. Coming into Field BC, from the west, the water drains west. 1 km east of Field, the water drains east. Within 30 miles of Field, is the start of the Fraser River and Columbia River going west. McKenzie River goes North to above the Arctic Circle. Bow River and the Saskatchewan Rivers go to Hudson Bay, There is a little finger that goes south east and joins up with the Missouri River, that joins up with the Mississippi and comes out at New Orleans.

Yes the world is Phlatt!!

Neil

I didnt realize that C.W. McCall had been the mayor of Ouray. Red mtn pass is between Durango to Silverton and Ouray. Wolf Creek Pass has that cotton picken CW Mcall chicken pluckin hair pin, but Red Mountain has a relatively straight, I think, 5 or so mile stretch, with a 1000 drop on one side and an overhang on the other,,, too narrow for guardrails. Awesome pucker factor. 

Heres another thasts close by to me in Utah. Its called the Moky Dugway.

"The Moki Dugway is a staggering, graded dirt switchback road carved into the face of the cliff edge of Cedar Mesa. It consists of 3 miles of steep, unpaved, but well-graded switchbacks (11% grade), which wind 1,200 feet from the valley floor near Valley of the Gods to atop Cedar Mesa." I'll add, no guard rails. Beautiful country.

Moki Dugway.jpg

Moki Dugway2.jpg

We have a narrow winding road to get to our house from town.  They did finally run some equipment down it so the hill doesn't end right at the road edge---we have a 12" berm on that side  now!  The other side has the irrigation canal paralleling the road and in places a 40' drop on the other side of the canal down to the fields.  It also has multiple places where the arroyos cross over the road.  They have finally started posting  "Turn around don't drown" signs for them.   

We call this our "drunk trap" and several times a year they have to haul a car or pickup out of the canal, luckily it's dry except for irrigation sessions.  It doesn't help that it's the only road from town that is not the interstate, and the State Police station is right by the interstate so folks tend to want to avoid there if they've been drinking.

Now for a pleasant summer drive: Highway 59 in North Western Arkansas/SW MO---near Noel MO, has a section where the highway is UNDER the bluff face, a tunnel without a side wall and a nice view down to Elk river below.  Used to be a big tourist cabin area before air conditioning was common.

You say that like it's a bad thing!    I still remember a lot of trips from NJ or VA to Arkansas before the interstate system was completed. Hairpin curves through the mountains, lack of facilities, few places to stay. (We had it down where we would buy gas, stay, eat...went to visit the kinfolk most every holiday...)  Of course I still have paper maps tucked away in the truck...

Paper maps!!! :o
surely no one uses those anymore! Lol,

it’s funny you say that, for years now when I got someone coming here that’s never been here, the first question they ask is waist the address, and I tell them GPS won’t work! 

then I give them real directions on how to find me, 

but they ignore me and want the address anyways…

so I give it to them and say when you get lost call me an I’ll give you directions again…

I’ve never been wrong, every single time they follow that stupid gps they always end up lost an call back for directions again… lol

Your right both Arkansas and Oklahoma 59 highways are beautiful drives through out the seasons, 

of course if you drive them during hay season plan for a longer drive time lol, between tractors an hay trucks you could spend awhile on the road sometimes 

As an old geologist and infantryman the doors and glove compartment of my SUV are stuffed with paper maps.  If I go someplace new, such as San Francisco or New York or London, I am uncomfortable if I do not have a paper map of the city with me.  As a result, I am seldom lost or misoriented.

TW, do you give your directions in lefts and rights or cardinal directions (east, north, etc.)?  I have found that some people do better with one and some the other.  I am a cardinal direction person but I understand that some people have no sense of direction but can do left and right.

Nodebt, it is like that in NE Colorado.  The county roads turn into trenches once the corn gets high, about mid summer, and stays that way until it is cut.  No lines of sight at the intersections.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I usually give people cardinal directions but I also give them stuff to look for,

I’m not hard to find though I’m the guy out in the middle of nowhere with 300 machines, tractors, lawnmowers, atv, utvs, welders, ect… setting right beside Oklahoma 59 highway, kinda hard to miss lol

It's been 50+ years since I lived in S. Cal. so I can not for the life of me remember the name of the city in which you did NOT want to get off I-5 the N.S. highway. So, of course the first time Dad and I drove to Washington with me as co-driver I got off to top off the gas. The thing that stuck hard in my mind was the town and don't Exit, so I did. I got off, filled up and followed the signs to the freeway. About 2 hours later Dad woke up and I was on some road out in the sticks following the signs to I-5. The last onramp sign I'd found was South bound and we were headed North.

There were a lot of excellent windy roads, we called them "shot snake" roads some called them "worm ball" roads over the mountains to Antelope Valley. It was a great place to own a sport car, I had a 62, Vette instead but it was a fun ride anyway. A friend of mine had a Vega,:rolleyes: he'd just walk away from me in the curves and I'd almost be drifting them to keep up. 

The last I heard Tom was part of the class action suit against GM for putting that piece of junk on the market. The engine was an un-serviceable ONE piece engine. You couldn't get into it without taking a saw to it. Ticking valve? Get used to it. Worse GM didn't offer replacements at much less than the price of a new Vega and they discontinued it. 

Vegas were actually really nice early 70s cars: comfortable, good vision, great suspension and cornering, early anti skid brakes, economical, and powerful enough to deal with freeway traffic. Unfortunately the engine rarely lasted more than a few thousand miles without hope of repair.

Give me MAPS! I can NOT believe putting a TV screen in the dashboard is even legal, let alone a way to find your way around. GPS is often wrong, sometimes dangerously wrong. There's nothing wrong with GPS itself, it's what is programmed into your unit that may have zero relationship to what's there. 

Maps don't try to think for you, anticipate what you MIGHT want to do, they don't TALK:angry: to you and they don't change every time you turn. Seriously, Deb's GPS has sent her on scenic routes rather than where she wanted to go. I'm pretty sure they're programmed by people who don't drive so they've ever made those kinds of decisions.

A few weeks ago we went to a dog competition, Deb was a judge. We had directions but weren't sure of which public building was the one we wanted. What the hey, the entire street is less than 2 miles long, we'll just drive slow and look for the street address, 3,805, Uh I forget, Street. EZ. PZ. yes? I don't know how many times I said, "Watch for the address." I looked on my side and she looked . . . . at her Iphone. ^_^

We found the place when we started seeing people with dog kennels going in the door of one of the buildings. Address? Foot tall black numbers 3' above the door on the WHITE building. Plain as day if your nose isn't buried in a 3" screen. <sigh> 

I'd better shut up now or I'll get going on several trails.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm old fashioned; I like giving directions using landmarks that are no longer there; or are unrecognizable by "outside folks".

I've been amazed at my wife taking longer to get a set of directions than to drive it.  We got off the main road, made two turns and were there.  Going home just do the two turns in the opposite direction and get on the main road.

I enjoyed my casita down near the border; all the mapping/directions aps wouldn't get you within sight of the place.

Of course in the good old days you could walk from Newark to Mombasa, or where they would be someday...

6 hours ago, anvil said:

Heres another thasts close by to me in Utah. Its called the Moky Dugway.

"The Moki Dugway is a staggering, graded dirt switchback road carved into the face of the cliff edge of Cedar Mesa. It consists of 3 miles of steep, unpaved, but well-graded switchbacks (11% grade), which wind 1,200 feet from the valley floor near Valley of the Gods to atop Cedar Mesa." I'll add, no guard rails. Beautiful country.

Anvil, I'm not familiar with the Cedar Mesa area, but there is a place in the Moab area, Shafer Trail, that is unbelievable!  There is a YT'er who goes by the handle of "trail mater".  He does recoveries in the Moab area and one of his videos was of a motorcycle recovery on Shafer Trail.  He "films" going up and then down the road cut into the side of the mesa.  The video is worth the time to watch, the scenery is phenomenal and in places it made my stomach queasy a little. On some of the turns, one can see forever and the road edge is straight down for thousands of feet.  I highly recommend the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig7i_NBWwFY

He did NOT need to speed up the video! I don't think I'll have to work too hard to get Deb to NOT drive that road.

I just realized I used not in all caps twice. Does that make it a double NOT road, Jethro?

Frosty The Lucky.