I Forge Iron

9 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Very nice sculpture. 

Its hard to guess the size of it. What size is the square stock at the base? 

1 inch square stock base ring.

6 hours ago, Nodebt said:

I agree.  That arched section of the base is pretty cool too.

Flat stock chisel split & expanded, ends incerted into slots   (mechanical joint)

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Looks pretty green for Olympia Greece!

No gods here.

Ken, very impressive and I catching.  I am wondering about some of your techniques and tooling.  To twist a number of 1" square bars together like the base would take some pretty hefty equipment.  I also suspect that you use a good size power hammer.  How did you make the cuts for the curls in the upright portion?

Thanks.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

15 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

World Wide Web here,  I wonder about folks not listing at least a continent when they use a non-unique place name.  I've known folks that got tripped up over Georgia in the USSR vs Georgia in the USA before.  Of course I'm fussy that way feel free to ignore me.

U.S.

6 minutes ago, Nodebt said:

Hi Ken!  What is your avatar doing there?  Is that one of those ground wheels for measuring off hectares the easy way?

I made my own version of an old toy, stick guiding rolling hoop. Did both in plastic tubing. Steel would have been more durable and environmentally friendly. 

Never stick with stuff for long so I built a coffee roaster and delivered in my neighborhood, used the toy company logo for the coffee business. Too lazy to think up new stuff all of the time, so I use Stickman along with other terms linked to past fiascos. Turned out alright anyway.

17 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Ken, very impressive and I catching.  I am wondering about some of your techniques and tooling.  To twist a number of 1" square bars together like the base would take some pretty hefty equipment.  I also suspect that you use a good size power hammer.  How did you make the cuts for the curls in the upright portion?

Thanks.

Sorry, not very clear. The base is 1 inch square stock, not hard to twist with a long, deep heat, double handle monkey wrench, pipe to contain and stabilize the stock. Vertical is 3/4 square stock, curls chisel cut supported in leg vice. These are all Yellin elements, I think, or that is where I remember seeing them. He was a great one to seek out older stuff and make it his own. What we all do. Hard to be original except in the way elements are combined. Like music or any art/craft.

OK, thanks.  I was way off on scale.  I thought the base was several 1" bars twisted together rather than one 1" bar that was notched on the edges and grooved down the center and then twisted.  Sorry.  It looks like some of the things I saw Francis Whittaker do.  He was one of Yellin's apprentices.  Possibly, he learned it from the Master.

Haha, well at least U.S. lets us know you don't need to Google translate your posts.  There are 9 cities worldwide named Olympia, with 6 in the States. No big deal to me , but I thought it was interesting how many there are. I grew up In Fairfield CA, and there are 53 worldwide and 35 here in the States. I live near Las Vegas now and there are only 3 of those in the States, with one being kinda well known. The remaining 55 are mostly South of the border, so I usually don't need to clarify.  I am pretty sure I know which one by your comment of

On 1/9/2022 at 10:52 AM, Ken Albert said:

Garden before wind, rain, general grey nastiness.

that describes one state pretty well. :lol:   I moved to the desert because I hated the rain we had where I grew up.

Olympia - Washington

Olympia - South Carolina

Olympia - North Carolina

Olympia - Missouri

Olympia - Kentucky

Olympia - California

Your garden art is very well done, and it is a nice clean forging.

I grew up with older parents and I learned how to roll a hoop. Dad cut the spokes out of a trike wheel, and made a tee stick for it. I have seen some hoops that were quite large in old pictures.

I live between San Antonio New Mexico and Las Vegas New Mexico  (and used to live in Columbus OH but never in Columbus NM.)

Confusion in locations can be pretty easy.  One time there was a Billboard by the local Interstate stating that a motel chain had 6 motels in San Antonio, no state listed.  Well San Antonio New Mexico was 15 miles down the road from that billboard and with a population of 11 people did not have *any* of their motels!  (Famed for the Owl Bar whose green chili cheeseburgers were a favorite of the workers at the Trinity Site---folks who upped the ante on "hot stuff"!)

Having spent about 30  years working on international projects or field support; it's been pounded in that you need to specify so your partners in Europe, Japan, Chile, Mexico, and the USA know where you are at.  (I threw in Sol 3 just for our alien visitors---a New Mexico Specialty---to know as well.)  I Forge Iron has folks from all over the world participating---remember the fellow from Norfolk Island?  

Mr. Nodebt,

Permit the SLAG to offer a suggestion. Do a patent search for barbed wire and barbed wire production machines. I suspect that there are many such patents.

It is a very good place to get ideas. Try Google patents, for your search.

SLAG.

Thanks SLAG.  I will have to get my laptop going, it's dead as a door nail.  I'm operating off a phone now and can you imagine navigating the patent office site on a 3" screen?  I'll try google though.  I used to do searches and saved many images years ago, intending to make specialty calendars to sell.  Good advice all the same and when I can I will exploit it!