I Forge Iron

Blacksmith shop for sale?

Do you ever see shops going on the market?

Here in Sweden it happens, but usually it is just mentioned and almost ignored.  

Like the farm with a full Smitty gets a "... and this extra building that used to be a blacksmith shop can be renovated into something usable..."  I always laugh at that one.

Sometimes though a full-out facility is up for grabs.  Here is an exceptionally nice one next to a small river for a very reasonable price.  the exchange rate of SEK is around 8.5 to a $1.  So asking price is about $55-60k

Thought that some of you would get a kick out of seeing this.

463857545_ScreenShot2021-04-14at1_23.26PMcopy.thumb.png.81bd7b7ba12521f3434c3e3e9975667b.png203399350_ScreenShot2021-04-14at1_25_20PM.thumb.png.cd7c41ce6f72d53fbaa2deb257963a76.png1326916482_ScreenShot2021-04-14at1_25.09PMcopy.thumb.png.b7953749e4b7c351feb8c4a4b6b24111.png143823067_ScreenShot2021-04-14at1_24_31PM.thumb.png.b5f67c0c341d1dbc7e9d85e8546c1c54.png232395478_ScreenShot2021-04-14at1_24_14PM.thumb.png.0ac2c81b2963203b49bb871dfd0b80a0.png

Just look at that equipment!  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh MY!  It doesn't look like it's set up as a line shop but that's now and the stream running past it looks like it was dug or maybe modified. 

I'm also looking at the large body of water, river, lake maybe like a natural for shipping by barge. It was undoubtedly a commercial shop, 4 chimneys serving two multi position forges each and the floor laid out like an assembly line. 

I imagine it'd make THE best club facility on the planet, add an auditorium for speakers, demos and films and people would be coming to events from everywhere. I wonder what it'd cost to move to the USA? 

Yeah, yeah it's be WAY cheaper to build one but it's a thing of beauty . . . <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

There's a house across the main lane next to the big water perhaps the master had room. There's also quite a bit that's out of frame on the close side where housing or a barracks could be. Maybe there's a village within commuting distance, I had a job a half hour walk from home and really enjoyed the morning warm up and afternoon cool down.

Frosty The Lucky.

Every couple of years it seems someone with a real, actual blacksmithing business and a few employees will want to retire and will put their business up for sale. There are brokers who help sell businesses, much the same as you would go to if you wanted to sell your home or buy one. 

My wife found it on Google Earth and from the street view it seems to be associated with a current or former folk school.  These are not uncommon in Sweden where they teach traditional crafts and ways, including blacksmithing, as adult learning.  I suspect that was its most recent use.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Do ya'll speak English there? The only Swedish i know is from the Swedish chef. 

Put me a bed and a shower in there and no one will ever see me again, heck i dont even need a shower with the stream right there. 

Beautiful shop, beautiful location. 

Looks like there is already electricity from the overhead lights. 

Billy, Most (like 95%) Swedes are very fluent in English.  In fact, you often have to ask them not to speak English if you want to practice your Swedish.  I have a cousin (2d, I think.  Our grandmothers were sisters. Mine immigrated to the US in the 1890s, hers stayed home) in southern Sweden who probably speaks better English than I do.

The website of the folk school is: profolkhogskola.se/om-oss/  It looks pretty cool with accommodations and dining facilities.  If we were able to travel safely (or legally) we might be looking at this with some serious interest.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The area is know for its steel production and was a hub of action up until early/mid 20th century.

I called and spoke with the listing agent for shttsss&grins and the whole upstairs is laid out as a conference room with toilets and a small kitchen.  The county doesn't allow for residential use, but would allow for B&B.

He said that most people interested would be using it as a storage facility.  What a shame.

The roof apparently is in need of repair.

Since you guys liked that one so much, here is another one that has been up for a while.  It comes with the complete inventory.

A funny side note, you very rarely see a Smith with a true Rounding hammer in his collection here in Sweden.  Not the preferred profile around these parts.

The Soderfors shot is for Frosty.  Love it when you see a well polished-from-use face.  Even with the welding scars.

Cheers.

1427592029_ScreenShot2021-04-20at10_28_01AM.thumb.png.973d6551472cef9f9c93779ae22d20c3.pngDCDCDCOR1EyAusF4fIIOcw.._4k.thumb.jpeg.a2f80facce98f10e0e60dceee5dfdaac.jpegZmfRUgb0HU2c0BHpfqh7dA.._4k.thumb.jpeg.3bce4b9593df98c522d2e1ba4dcf184a.jpegSaaViiXxj0S0iban8uMZJw.._4k.thumb.jpeg.2eff0284b1052ee177d549079a99fe74.jpegyZhsssD350C8VlF7aqeaow.._4k.thumb.jpeg.5f96d3daa1918b6f6c1be6bb52546a6e.jpegkPZAk8yjYUOytleOAU_iWw.._4k.thumb.jpeg.ce5202b5f4f7f60c9d86b5c41f0dc7cb.jpeg

UZQ4rxc80kSW2qVx-43tMA.._4k.jpeg

I did a 89 day business trip to Germany back in the 1990's; the company sent my wife and kids over for 6 weeks as cheaper than flying me back and forth all the time.  My wife spoke no German and spent the time I was working going all over on public transport with our two kids. The all had a blast!  A colleague of mine had his wife come over too; she spent the work hours in the apartment and wouldn't go out unless he was with her.    Didn't enjoy the trip.    I was good with languages back then and had my High School German  and as my usual wont; I had learned the basic words applicable to blacksmithing.  I had a blast!

BillyB; if you have not had much experience bathing in glacial fed waterways; you would be in for a bit of a shock.  Not to mention that that stream may freeze solid in winter.  Though a good sauna and snow wash would probably work then.

I was in Germany from 89-92. Had a blast, 19 years old, could be served in the local tavern. I really wish i could remember some of those days:lol:

Are there many Norwegian Blues in Sweden? I would figure they could fly to Sweden from Norway. I would have one as long as he is not pining for the fjords.