I Forge Iron

Most versatile tongs

Chimaera

Hi. I'm a total newbie, and am looking to get some tongs. Right now I'm primarily forging rebar and 1/4" mild rod, but I hope to get some 1/2" mild round bar + square bar, 1/2" O1 drill rod, and maybe some 1095 flat bar, and I'm looking at leaf and suspension springs. Right now I'm just getting started, working on leaf keychains and kiridashis. I'm looking at Ken's Custom Iron rapid tong blanks. They have a bundle with v bit, flat jaw, scroll, bolt jaw, and slot jaw tongs. However, this bundle isn't much in the way of savings as opposed to buying those all separately. What I'm trying to figure out is what I need for those plans on a budget. Thanks.

Chimaera

The most versatile tongs IMHO would be vise grips... What with the adjustable jaws and such.. That's what I used until I had made enough pairs to retire them.

However, like many multi-tasking tools it's not ideal for everything. They aren't great for round things so I used to flatten one end for a better grip, then cut that end off (if needed).

I find myself using box jaw and bolt jaw tongs most often, but honestly it really depends on the project.

I've heard slot jaws are pretty handy, but I haven't used them yet..

The most versatile set i own is the first set i made. They are quick, easy and inexpensive. You need 2 pieces of 1" x 1/8" flat bar 18" long and a bolt or rivet.  Hold the 2 bars together and heat them up. Put them in a vice together and twist 1/2 turn about 2 1/2 or so inches down from the end. If right handed twist left and lefties visa versa. Find  spot an inch or so down from your twist, drill a hole and put in a nut and bolt. Thats it, done. You now have a set of flat jaws. What makes the so nice is the jaws will be big enough to work as Iron dragon says, but they are cheap enough so that if you ruin them somehow its no big deal. I have used these to hold everything from 1/4" rod to 2" square, they have been round jaw, square jaw and even goose neck depending on what i needed at the time. 

I would suggest also learn to make proper tongs. They are not a beginner project but they are not super difficult either. And depending on how you do them they will cover a whole bunch of skills. Draw, taper, off set, etc. and depending on what method even welding. And you must do 2 identical pieces but if they are off some will still work. I like making tongs, i think they are a fun project to make. I have 25 or 30 sets and i have only bought 1, and that is a set of really old, really heavy hammer eye tongs from  flea market for $4.  

I can attest to the ease of construction and functionality of the tongs in that blueprint. I ended up making a couple pairs of different sizes. I was a little skeptical but was pleasantly surprised. I still use them occasionally. 

Pnut

When I first got started I bought the same kit from Ken's. The were literally the first things I made. They turned out a little crude but they work just fine and I still use them all the time. I think they are defiantly enough of a cost saving that if you are on a budget are worth it. Then I bought a used set of wolf jaw's and I wished I would have done that from the start. 

• 3 weeks later...

From someone with the same beginner status, I wonder why so many people just starting gravitate towards making tongs right at the start.  Does not buying a few first make more sense?

A related question that the OP has raised in my head is out of all the metal stock available, is there one or two sizes that are best to start with, such as very thin or quite thick stock, and is round or square or flat the first thing as one is starting.  If one was limited to two beginner pieces of steel, two hammers and only two tongs, especially the tongs, what to run out and acquire? 

I'd like to forge a copy of the Eiffel tower, but realize that six months of experience and something small may be best at first. ;) 

For my "get them hooked" class I start people with 1/4" sq stock.  There are a lot of nice projects for that size and it's easier on folks without the hammer stamina.  I go with hot rolled when I can get it but even cold rolled at 12' long sticks will make 6  24" student starter pieces.  Also a lot of the 1/4" sq stock projects can go up a size, (3/8"), easily when they get a bit more skilled.

I think that folks start making tongs because they can't find them.  I agree with you that they are not starter projects.

My favorite pair of tongs is a pair of snub nosed, short reined  farrier tongs that I bought used at a flea market for US$1.50; they are sized for 1/4" stock and so are my teaching pair as well as my knife tang pair.  I did recently pick up and modified another set of tongs for knife blade holding.

If I were to add another pair to the snub nosed; I'd add a set that holds rounds as well as flats.

• 2 weeks later...

My first functional tongs were made quite simply from a piece of 1/2" round stock, about 3' long.  Heated and bent around a 2" round pipe, until the "reins" crossed.

At that cross, I heated, and hammered together some, poked a hole, then cut the jaws apart. Flattened the hinge boss some, rivited together, and shaped the jaws.

They work well for both square, and round stock, up to about 5/8".