Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, JHCC said:

And experimented with a new method for gluing up grinder belts: cotton jersey and cyanoacrylate glue.

Interesting, I never thought about gluing a grinder belt (never noticed bulk belting for sale). Are you gluing the belt because you've got a roll of stock, or is this a repair? Will be interested to hear how well (long) the joint lasts as I thought that cyanoacrylate glues were for non-porous applications, but I've got plenty to learn! 

--Larry

My grinder is an odd size (2x90), so there aren’t as many options for purchasing belts as there are for 2x72s. I buy oversized belts from an industrial surplus warehouse, split them to proper width, cut them to proper length, and glue them up. I’ve experimented with a number of different splicing materials and glues, this being the latest combination. 

Cyanoacrylate comes in a number of different formulations. This one is thicker than most and works pretty well on fabric. 

I keep a fan running, which helps cut down on the blood suckers quite a bit. 

I'm generally a magnet for skeeters, so I usually still end up with a few and those are probably from when I'm standing behind the fan or while I'm cleaning up and the fan is off. 

Spent most of the weekend picking and canning green beans. 

Did manage to get another sconce done. I attached the "basket" before scrolling, that turned into a fiasco but it came out fairly good in the end. Just picked the long route to make it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9a808c6be6c7209aef571c4c8353c2fb.jpeg

I love the wall clock Alex, it has me looking at our walls. I expected to see a table with a TV sitting on it but I get it. We're speaking different languages through computer translation software. Nice little table but the clock is my favorite.

Here's a "pro" tip from someone living in mosquitosaurus territory. Buy and use a good quality mosquito repellent OTHER than the one "everybody" uses. Plant and grow Citrosa plants Or Citronella Geraniums around the yard or keep a few in pots. It's a perennial so should be good for a couple years anyway. 

Unfortunately there's not much that will keep any from getting at you but if "Fireweed" grows where you live plant some. Breaking or cutting a fireweed stalk and just squeezing some sap on a mosquito bite will stop the itch almost instantly and the swelling will go away in seconds, under 10 typically. Rubbing it in doesn't help, just dab it on. Little kids crying from being eaten alive will think you're a magician. Well, so do most adults, especially the kid's parents.

The fireweed trick is no fooling "Old Indian" medicine, shown to me by an honest to goodness old Indian, name of "White Raven."

Frosty The Lucky.

Jerry, THANK YOU for the fireweed bit.  Madelynn is terribly allergic to mosquito bites.  One bite will swell up to an area about the size of a silver dollar and itch for days.  I'm going to investigate cultivating fireweed and/or if you can buy fireweed extract.  If it works out it will be a godsend and will allow her to get out more in the summer.

G

Thanks Frosty..  That is a good one..  does it work on bee stings too? 

Years ago I had read that bee stings were good for joint inflammation so spent a number of years harassing all the yellow jackets, white faced hornets i could find..   I guess it worked as my joints felt great..   Not sure it was because of the poison in the stinger or not.. 

Now when I get stung I have a tad bit more reaction..    LOL..  Back in the day I'd get stung every week except in winter.. Sometime 2X a week. 

I also like 7min itch for joint inflammation reduction..   

It worked for me..  I guess if one doesn't mind then it does not matter..    Ha,   Mind over matter.. 

Finished cold forging the froe and acid etched it..  Not the stunning etch I was hoping for but the eye came out brilliant.. 

I ran it thru the knarly wood with all the knots just because I could..  knocked off that new car smell. 

20230814_191602.jpg

20230814_191611.jpg

20230814_191617.jpg

20230814_191625.jpg

20230814_191820.jpg

20230814_192057.jpg

20230814_193502.jpg

Shainarue: I run an electric cord out to my forging area for my coal forge blower and a light for working after sundown. I’m going to try setting up my box fan.

Frosty: Thanks for the advice!  I’ll look into the plants.  I used to have some really good bug repellant that I had “held on to” after getting out of the Marines.  The warning label mentioned it could melt some plastics, though.  Hahahaha!

jlp: That looks awesome! 

You're very welcome George. The Wiki article about fireweed is pretty good and it looks like you can buy seed online from lots of sources. One I saw was selling 10 seeds for only $20. If you can't find better than that PM me and I'll stuff some in an envelope as soon as they start seeding. They don't need anything more special than moist soil. 

You hear lots of stories about the name and it has lots of different ones, Canada and the UK it's known as Willowherb and similar but in WWII London it was called Bomb Flower because it was the first thing to sprout in bombed areas. It's called Fireweed because it's the first thing to sprout after a fire. 

No idea Jennifer, I do know it doesn't work for no-see-um or "whitesock" bites. I don't see how it'd help with  bee, wasp, hornet stings or ant bites, the pain in those is formic acid which works similar to a cytotoxic (flesh eating) venom. White socks bite a hole and lay eggs and no-see-ums bite out pieces.

The swelling and itch from mosquito bites is caused by our immune system rushing white blood cells to the bite to counteract the anti-coagulant component. They're literally mini allergic reactions.

They're so different I'd be very surprised if fireweed worked on be stings.

Frosty The Lucky.

Tobacco will take the sting out from bees, wasps, and hornets, do not know about the allergic reaction though. My understanding is nicotine is an anesthetic.  

I looked up fireweed and it is what my grandma and mom called willow weed. A bit different than willowherb, not the plant the word,  i would guess just something lost in translation into the Appalachians. 

For poison ivy jewel weed works a wonder. It also grows in the same places as poison ivy so they are found near each other a lot. Where ever you touch the poison ivy at crush some jewel weed leaves up and rub that area with it and it keeps you form breaking out. 

Alexandr, is there going to be any ‘hot’ work done in the area with the spray foam exposed? In my area, spray foam must be enclosed (usually with gypsum board) to meet fire code. I’d hate for you to lose your shop to fire!

I had the my shop walls spray foam insulated when I build it. It’s been great in the winter months, but I really need to get more ventilation for when it’s hot outside. Overall, I wouldn’t do it any different.

Keep it fun,

David