I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

At my old job instead of a handle for the extra o2valve, they had a turning valve. 

Works nice for melting away the welds.

No different torchheads. Just on plate tickness. But almost everything was done with 5-20 tip (oxyathyleen)

Takes some practice but you learned quick if you can see your melting bath. (Just like welding, but than in reverse).

• Replies 26.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Working on signs to set up a stand in my corner property to sell some sweet corn before the deer eat it all. Grew about an acre of sweet corn. While it isn't the biggest because of a dry early season, it is good enough and I have enough for me, the deer, and to sell some to recoup my investment. 

Ooh, sweet corn….

I had an idea for the fly press, which I started to put into effect. Since the depth stop is missing and hasn’t (yet) been replaced, making regular circles is difficult. It occurred to me that if I made a top tool with a larger radius, then it would never make a tighter curve than with that radius. So, I made a handful fixtures that slip over the cantilevered top tool:

5FFD34FE-AAAA-438E-B7E3-560C6A183EC5.jpeg

These are welded up from pieces of welding tank, with diameters of 5-1/2”, 6-3/4”, 7-3/4”, and 9-1/4”, reinforced with some bits of pipe. 

0AE2867E-174C-4A49-9CBE-C8A086F361BA.jpeg

There’s a bit of spring-back when bending cold, but the curve comes out nice and regular. 

3D0CD4E6-25A1-4BEA-BA1F-4A561A44FB52.jpeg

1111FE20-53F4-40D6-BEAE-3E93BFD7C51A.jpeg

With the help of some hash marks, it’s fairly easy to stop and start the curve right where you want it.

753EE975-81ED-4E42-BF26-0771741481BF.jpeg

The fixtures still need some cleanup on the grinder, but I think they will come in quite handy. 

Das, I used to grow sweetcorn for the farm market and found out not only deer trash it but coons, squirrels and even birds.  Probly other critters I never caught in the act.  I put up chicken wire fence and a top and bottom shock wire.  Something still got at it.  It was about 100×200 plot.  Then the silk worms moved in.  Never mind the corn smut.  Good seed ain't cheep.  It was our lively hood at the time.

Groundhogs. The deer like to just trample through taking a bite of an ear here and an ear there. Then the trampled corn gets eaten up by the groundhogs and every other little critter. 

Never dealt with corn smut. I do get the worms that like the ends.  They are just here and there. I prefer not to use pesticides on my food crops. If it got bad enough I might have to consider it. 

I use the 100# tank that used to run the Kitchen range.  Local laws are just that *LOCAL*; I don't have any issues running 100# tanks in my shop here in NM. I do have to strap them upright for travel to get them refilled.

After I installed the piping to go from the tank to the kitchen range we had it inspected before they would connect the large tank that gets bulk delivery.  My wife was very disappointed with the inspection; they said I had done an excellent job...

Ask the chief at the local fire station. Sometimes if you ask someone in the code department they get really persnickety. The fire chief can just tell you what you need if anything. Might cost you a bottle opener or box of doughnuts some day.

Frosty The Lucky.

Some municipalities prohibit flammable gas storage tanks in excess of X pounds or gallons or require a certain setback from inhabited buildings.  The propane supplier should know all the local regs and if a permit/inspection is needed.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thomas, a bit late but thanks for the info on crucibles and sich. I tried to do a small cleaning melt and just as my bronze started to melt i got low on fuel. I knew someone a while back that tried making a crucible from info they got from the youtube. It worked, well, not good. Bottom broke out inside the furnace and the floor was covered. 

Our local sweetcorn festival is next weekend. They use an old tractor to cook the corn in. I may be wrong but i think they steam it in the boiler, then dipped in butter, a little salt... i will be pickin corn out of my teeth for a week but it is worth it. In this part of Ohio we grow a lot of sweetcorn. Something i learned recently but a very small percentage of corn, like 5%, grown in the USA is sweet corn. The rest is feild corn for feed and what not. 

Brent Bailey does beautiful work. Let us know how it is on the anvil. 

56 minutes ago, Coltsauer said:

I put some lime in an old Parmesan cheese container 

Carefully labeled and kept out of the kitchen!

3 hours ago, BillyBones said:

They use an old tractor to cook the corn in. I may be wrong but i think they steam it in the boiler, then dipped in butter, a little salt... i will be pickin corn out of my teeth for a week but it is worth it. 

The best way I have yet found for cooking sweet corn is in its husk in the microwave. Nuke it for a few minutes, cut the butt end off, and squeeze the ear out of the husk, leaving all the silk behind.