I Forge Iron

A foot is not always a foot until Jan. 1, 2023

Glenn

There is a difference between the 3.28083333333 US survey feet per meter, and the 3.28083989501 International feet per meter can make a difference.  While this should not make a lot of difference of small projects, it could affect large projects.

Whether you embrace the new foot or not, the old foot will be obsolete as of Jan. 1, 2023, according to the National Institute of Standards and Technology, the agency within the Department of Commerce with the authority to fix weights and measures for the U.S.

Reference NYT Article

Reference Civilgeo

The property stakes should remain in place.  The gain or loss should be due to conversation of chains, rods, to other measures.

The rod or perch or pole (sometimes also lug) is a surveyor's tool and unit of length of various historical definitions, often between 3 and 8 meters. In modern US customary units it is defined as 16 1⁄2 US survey feet, equal to exactly 1⁄320 of a surveyor's mile, or a quarter of a surveyor's chain, and is approximately 5.0292 meters. The rod is useful as a unit of length because whole number multiples of it can form one acre of square measure.  

The chain is a unit of length equal to 66 feet (22 yards). It is subdivided into 100 links or 4 rods. There are 10 chains in a furlong.

• 11 months later...

Always use .3048 exactly (or the inverse) to convert meters to international feet but be sure to check with your juristiction.

Some local control networks are still in US survey feet and some even in NAVD29. !!

Arizona state plain switched to international feet years ago but some indian tribes still use the survey foot. All gps data is metric of course

I have seen descriptions in rods, poles, chains and varas but not one described by smokes yet.

When I was working in the violin repair business, all the instruments were measured in inches, but the work itself was done in millimeters. Sometimes when an exceptionally high degree of precision was required, we'd go by the thick side, the thin side, or the middle of the line on the ruler.

I am fascinated with metrology especially distances. 

We turned down a job to set monuments in the floor of a chip manufacture plant because we could not guaranty one millimeter accuracy (horz and vert)  I told my boss that no one could check it either. Last I heard the facility never used those monuments as their technology was obsolete before the factory was finished. 

5 hours ago, BillyBones said:

We used Little Kings beer bottles

The little tiny ones? I'm asking because when I was a teenager they made them in sizes from 7 oz all the way up to a big 64oz jug. My uncle used to work at the Hudepohl Schoenling brewery. 

Pnut