I Forge Iron

I got lucky with this Anvil!

Hi First Post here and hopefully many to come. I have been on the look out for an Anvil for a long time now. I didn't go looking for one, but kept an eye out for one. Man did I get lucky!!!

I know I need other tools. I am not 100% sure what they are, but I am pretty sure i can make them!

I found is sitting outside among some other metal bits behind my work garage. asked what was the deal with it. few weeks later i was told i could have it. So i grabbed it with a forklift and put it in the back of my truck. at the time the only thing I knew about it was that it was that it weighted about as much as I could dead lift.... about 300 lbs. I wasn't far off the mark. After getting it home and doing some research did I finally learn exactly what I had. Not to mention how fortunate I am!

My wife says she is none to happy about it. Does not like the idea of me "stocking a fire" in the back yard or the sound of hammer on hot steel and an anvil, but she understands how bad I want to try this. With a 111 year old anvil, how could I not!

20200623_221541.jpg

20200623_221554.jpg

20200623_221613.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Scooter';

That is a seriously good score.  A Peter Wright in prime condition for free uses up all your good karma for a long time.  Don't buy any lottery tickets because all your good luck is depleted.  Fair market value is probably around $1000 or more for the quality and condition.

You may be able to allay your wife's concerns by going with a propane forge which is a lot cleaner than coal, coke, or charcoal.  Also, if your new baby rings too loudly there are ways of mitigating the level of sound, including but not limited to magnets, a layer of rubber between the anvil and the stump or stand, an not hitting the anvil with the hammer (just hit the hot iron).  Also, show her pictures of the pretty things for the house and jewelry that you will learning how to make.  There are some very impressive pieces out there to use as inspiration.  Finally, there are a lot more expensive things that you could be getting into than black  smithing such as various automotive projects, big 4-wheelers, a huge flat screen TV for sitting on your back end watching other people play sports, fancy wood working machines, guns, etc., etc..  This keeps you off the street corners and out of the bars.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."  

Now that is a thing of beauty! I hope you’ve read up on not letting a grinder touch it. If you have to clean any rust off, just wire brush it. How’s the ring and rebound? You may know this already, but find something better for a stand. Those blocks are not a good idea. A good stout stump or heavy welded stand will serve you much better, and a bead of silicone caulk between the stand and anvil will go a long way in deadening the ring of the anvil.

Build a JABOD, find a good hammer and put it to work. When you have questions, there will be someone here who can help.

Enjoy,

David

If you mount it right, hammering doesn’t make nearly as much noise as you might think. Now the angle grinder you will undoubtedly buy later if you don’t have one already, that will sure let your wife and anyone near by know you are there.

There are several posts on how to mount an anvil and lessen its ring. You seriously did get lucky with that thing. 

George, thanks for the pointers, but.... as far as those other things I could get into... automotive? ooppss. lol. also have a 76 beetle in the garage I have to yank the engine out of again.... fix the 1,2 intake leak I have remove all the tins, take them to work to clean them. paint them, clean up the engine bay, install new engine compartment gaskets and finally put the engine back in. Did I mention the shed?.... I have to finish building that. but my forge will be right outside the door on the side. Did that is obviously getting done first. haha

FB_IMG_1590714891913.jpg

20200622_054257.jpg

Goods I honestly have not educated myself on rebound and ring yet. so not sure. I did hit it with a hammer to see how well it did bounce. about the same height it was struck with is where it bounces back to. the ring... sounds solid and long.

as far as a stand... not really. I have a old paint shaker stand I am using to hold my vise, but I think it is to tell for the anvil. I saw some took a bunch of 2x4s and made a stand by nailing them together.

Great anvil at a great price.  Do not tell anyone the value of the anvil. They do not need to know. 

Wire brush and use boiled linseed oil on everything but the face of the anvil.  Since you have the shed already, a 2 wheeled dolly will allow you work outside and to keep the anvil inside the shed of a night.  A couple of wraps of light (1000 pound test) chain will deaden the ring.

A 2 pound flea market hammer is all you will need, the rest of the tools you can make on your own.  

Congratulations.

Rebound is listed in %. 70~80% is ok, 80~90% is good, above that is excellent. Usually tested with a large 1/2”~1” ball bearing dropped from 10”, measuring the return with a scale. If you are looking for information on a specific topic search with google adding “site:iforgeiron.com”, the built in search tool is useless. 
I learned my lesson early on about rebound while leaning over the anvil doing some final finishing. I missed on a fairly hard blow and got lucky I didn’t break my nose with how the hammer returned...

Looks like you are in a thickly settled area.  Definitely go with a propane forge---instructions for building them are on this site!  And QUIET THAT ANVIL DOWN immediately.  Mount your forge in an old gas grill cart; harder for folks to tell you that gas grills are not allowed with a straight face.  Look up the local ABANA affiliate and go to some meetings you can learn MUCH faster and better in person than on the net!

I like the gorgeous blond smiling out from your sweet ride.  She looks like she could grow up to strike iron along with Daddy.  There has been more than one daughter do that.  It can be intimidating for potential boyfriends in 15 years but that is all to the good.

As to anvil stands I have always preferred wood.  Steel stands have always seemed a little bouncy to me.  I suspect they may "walk" on a concrete floor unless bolted down somehow.

And if she doesn't want to strike; she could be a powerful lure to young men wanting to get on her Daddy's good side by striking for him.  (I have a friend whose girlfriend's family ran an egg business and he would always have to candle a bunch of eggs before they could go on a date...now married for a heap of years.)

What a SWEET score Scooter! I LOVE the sweet ride and blond beauty smiling out the window.

You're living the life Brother!

There's an anvil stand section and propane or solid fuel forge sections. Take a look around and pick a stand. My preference is a steel tripod they quieted my really loud anvils considerably. If you go propane forge, we'll help you get it tweaked.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Glenn  why not the face? it was going to get rained on so I sprayed the whole thing down with wd-40. including the face. hope I didnt mess up...

took video of the ring and bounce.

Also ironically a light pole snapped near my house. there was a good chunk of it with no hardware on it that I grabbed. will have to cut it in half and attach it together some how but i think it will make a xxxx of a stand.

20200628_213217.jpg

You didn't hurt it a bit with the WD40. Trying to cobble together a stand out of that old half rotten light pole would be more trouble than it's worth (IMHO) I would pick up some 4x4s and bolt them together with threaded rod. Have you looked at the "Show me your anvil stands" thread lots of good ideas there.

No I haven't. it's not rotted. wires got hit by a semi trailer, which is why it snapped. Figure I whip my chainsaw out and cut it down to size, lag bolt some pressure treated pine to the bottom and put threaded rod through the 2 pieces. i think I would need 8 4x4's bolted together to be the size of the base of this anvil. I don't feel I have read or learned enough yet to know enough to make a solid choice.

I will definitely look at that topic. As well as how to make a Forge. I was looking for anything to put the anvil on and when I saw that wood i figured it's big and free! lol

Any specific threads you suggest to look at?

Coating everything except the anvil face will protect the anvil.  Hitting hot metal on the anvil will put a shine on the face.  A quick wipe with ATF automatic transmission fluid will protect the face from oxygen and moisture (rust). You do not have to burn it off, and It will not interferer with hot metal the next time you forge. 

A good anvil stand will support the anvil at the proper height for you, and will hold the anvil securely.  Cross bolting and wrapping with metal straps will make the wooden stand solid.

On 6/24/2020 at 4:04 PM, Glenn said:

Do not tell anyone the value of the anvil. They do not need to know. 

So true. For years I worked close to a second hand shop and instead of stuffing my face at lunch time, I went to shop for bargains. over the years I bought scores of good tools at bargain prices. At first I told everyone what a good bargain I found, only to get laconic comments like ... it is probably stolen.

So now I don't tell anyone.

Well I can tell you ... I bought a Fein Magnetic base drill worth close to $3000 for $150. It was missing one handle I bought for $20 ... :)

Scooter, you messed up big time. THe WD40 will penetrate the anvil face and make it swell and blister. It's a desaster. 

Neee, schmier away, no harm done. 

Scooter, don't take Marc seriously.  He's a kidder "an' was jus' a funnin' ya."  Also, since he is in the Southern Hemisphere the blood rushing to his head gives him a strange sense of humor (or humour to us his spelling).

The reality of who is "up" and who is "down" ... :)

image.thumb.png.696e9c99c9aa0e30dd964e457edf92e6.png

And what is the problema with my spelling?

From the sarus.com

What is the closest synonym for the word desaster?

desaster
  • katastrofe.
  • patatrack
  • emergingcing 
  • falure
  • phiasco
  • disharmonious
  • hollow cast
  • miss hop

:lol:  You goob!  Everyone knows the correct spelling katastrofy, not katastrofe!!!!

Scooter, if you want a log, you can almost always find a good selection down at your town’s recycling and bulk trash center  Usually they are free. You will need a chainsaw to level the top though  Elm is very good because it doesn’t split easily, but any hardwood will do really.  Soft woods such as pine don’t last as long  

Speaking of city recycling centers, about 20 years ago my wife and I were going through very lean times. I couldn’t afford gas for the furnace and couldn’t afford wood for the Franklin stove.  I heated our house that Winter with wood I loaded up and brought home from the city recycling and bulk trash center. It is how I learned about free stumps and logs available from cities. Splitting so much wood by hand when it was already bloody cold out was not fun. You can also find logs and such neatly stacked along the side of the road where electrical crews have been clearing trees and limbs from power lines.