I Forge Iron

I got lucky with this Anvil!

Glenn I also dont really know what the Anvil is worth. I did see one on Ebay for 10,500... lol I have no idea if the price they were asking was correct. 

I am just extremely happy to have such an awesome anvil that has stood the test of time!

did the ring and rebound sound and look good to everyone?

I may be in New Jersey, but I am from the most southern state in the USA. So southern humor is not lost on me.

Edited by Mod30
Remove @name tag

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scooter, I had to spend the night in a gas station parking lot one frigid night during a blizzard in Purcell when the highway was closed, and I don't recall seeing any large trees in Purcell, but back to my intended comment.....see if there is anyone in Purcell who might cut down trees, like an arborist.  You might sweet talk them into more than one stump next time they cut down a tree thereabouts.

12 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Mr Harris; this is a blacksmithing site; *everyone* here knows to spell a problem working with iron as  "katastroFe"  

Kastrofy on the other hand is used when dealing with giants of the "Fe, Fy, Fo, Fum, sort.

Man!  Is there anything you can’t riff off of?:D

Scooter; you are from Hawaii?  " I am from the most southern state in the USA".    (Trick question; just like Alaska is both the westernmost and easternmost state as some of the islands cross the international dateline.)

If you throw in "contiguous" you get different answers...I graduated from Holmdel High School; Holmdel NJ back in 1975, (Holmdel is in Monmouth County, exits 114 & 117 on the GSP)

As for riffing: I was thinking we should come up with another Blacksmith's T shirt with:  "KatastroFe---what happens when you leave the blower on with your workpiece in the fire and get distracted."

awesome Idea. Now if I just had any idea what that was like...

did some forging yesterday, kind of. took a piece of 1/2 reber, heated it up with a oxy-acetelyn torch and hit it with a 2"x2" piece of angle iron. does that count?

I have heard of Holmdell. New Mexico! that is quite a move!

There were lots of stops in between: College in upstate NY and AR. Oilpatch work in OK, TX and 1 job in KS. Apprenticed to a swordmaker back in AR, Married and moved to Columbus Ohio for 15 years and *more* college---THE OSU!  *Then* out to NM where I worked for NRAO, Dell---in Mexico; but lived in USA; and finally here at New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology.  16 years so far in NM and I expect my estate sale will be held here too someday.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:12 PM, arkie said:

Scooter, I had to spend the night in a gas station parking lot one frigid night during a blizzard in Purcell when the highway was closed, and I don't recall seeing any large trees in Purcell, but back to my intended comment.....see if there is anyone in Purcell who might cut down trees, like an arborist.  You might sweet talk them into more than one stump next time they cut down a tree thereabouts.

Purcell?  As in Oklahoma?

I have a cousin who was an arborist in Duncan, Oklahoma until an accident put him in a chair. He and most others sold would on the side. 

so I got anxious and used my torch to heat up a piece of 3/4 rebar. think I did three cycles of heating and hammering. used a 4lb sledge and just to see what a ball pen hammer would do I hit it with that too. think I should have skipped that part. anyway this is what I ended up with.

20200704_182746.jpg

20200704_182822.jpg

20200704_182800.jpg

20200704_182817.jpg

3/4" is a bit large to get your toes wet but what the hey I'M not swinging a 4 lb. hammer. If you have some 1/2" rebar it makes good tent stakes, be sure to either bend or roll the up end so folks won't cut themselves tripping over it. I can't say for sure but I THINK the main purpose of tent stakes is to trip folks who are distracted.

What kind of forge are you going to build. You've probably already said but I opened another post and forgot the details almost immediately.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ouch!!!!! Bet that broke your heart when it happened.  Youngan's are "eye-level" with an anvil, so I'd be very wary of letting one that small anywhere near mine when striking it unless they had a face shield, cap, full length sleeves, etc.

I find it funny that I post under my real name and people still mess it up! (An old hangover from usenet days when I found that flame wars tended to not get so out of control if people used their real names and so had what they posted "attached to the person" posting.)

I prefer using my real name on forums.  I went to a lever-action rifle gathering one time and it took me the entire weekend to connect all the strange forum names with everyone's real name.  I have enough trouble remembering names...............people shouldn't try and confuse me like that! :D

Chris; I'm so bad with names my wife used to tell me that she was "Going to write my name backwards on my forehead with a Sharpie so I'd know what my name was when I got up in the morning and looked in the mirror!"  Nowadays I have an extended forehead and she could use calligraphy!

Back in 1970, I took a Dale Carnegie Class on "How to win friends and influence people" because I was going to be taking a place in a sales position at our family's company.  During the course, we learned how to remember names.  There were 35 people in the class and I ended up getting one of the "coveted" Dale Carnegie mechanical pencils as an award for being the only student able to remember every single name in the group.  The test was to start at one end of row #1 and go through the 5 rows of people and then go through them in reverse and THEN start in the middle of the middle row and go left and right alternately until you jumped back and forth through all 35 people in the room.  Got every single name right.  Today, I can shake a new acquaintance's hand and not know his name 30 seconds later!!!!!!!!  :angry:  Irritates/embarrasses the heck out of me.  And, like you, I often am not real sure who I'm looking at when I shave in the morning. ;)