I Forge Iron

Motorcycle Chain for Hold Downs

I brought home a couple of motorcycle chains yesterday.  One of them is 6 feet long and weighs 5 1/4 pounds.  (the other is smaller, shorter and as a result, lighter)  If I pop a pin out and make myself two 3 foot sections would that be long enough to work as hold downs or do I need it to be 6 foot long?

Don't really need to do that.  I can see it will go from my stump stand, over the top of my anvil and back down to the stump.  I just need to know if that's enough length.  I've never seen one in operation and have never used a chain hold down, so I don't have anything to reference to.

Well, that's why I'm asking.  Why can't I have cable that goes from the end of the chain down to weights? (or as you suggest, a foot pedal)  I don't see why the chain has to go all the way to the floor.

Roller chain comes in all sorts of sizes. If there's a company that runs or maintains road graders ask the mechanic if he has an old drive chain from a walking beam. 

If you've ever wondered why a grader sounds like it has a chain drive when it goes by that's because the drive wheels have a big honkin drive chain liking each wheel to the drive sprocket in the center of the walking beam. 

Chain hold downs don't have to go to the ground or be anchored or anything special, they just need to keep your work from rolling off the anvil. Heavier holds more securely but is harder to handle.

Frosty The Lucky.

Chris, timing chains are kind of a thing of the past. Most cars now a days have timing belts also timing chains rarely go bad. So it may be harder to find than you think. My suggestion, transmission shop. Ask for a transfer chain out of a front wheel drive trans. Transfer cases  also use a big chain, and some trans pumps are chain driven. Explain to them what you are looking for and they provably got 4 or 5 in the scrap barrel. Trans parts are very rarely mild steel too. So you may be able to also score some input or out put shafts, usually higher carbon steel or bearing races, CV shafts, etc. All but 1 shop i worked in was more than happy to just get rid of the scrap. 

Thanks for the tips, Frosty.

Biggest problem around here, BillBones,  is that all of these shops have someone who contracts to come and pick up their scrap steel.  I've been trying to make points with some of them, but not having much luck.  I need to start dropping off a dozen donuts when I go begging! :D

Find an implement dealer with a nice bone pile out behind the repair bays.  Lots of chain driven stuff in the oldies!

(I've worn out a timing chain before; old Toyota pickup, over time the chain stretched enough that the slop wore a hole through the cover.  My mechanic replaced the chain but the cost of the simple cover was a good fraction of the worth of the truck.  As all it had to do was to keep the oil inside I asked him why they didn't just weld it up and slap the old one back on. They did so and I drove it to the final big ticket repair showed up.)

I use a motorcycle chain, but hopefully can get a timing chain, as they lay a bit flatter across the anvil than the motorcycle chain.  Just been too lazy to drop by my shadetree mechanic's shop and with COVID-19 still rampant, running around is not on my list of priorities!

• 1 month later...

Really heavy chain can be a bit of a pain to use as a hold down as it's more difficult to maneuver when you have hot stock and it also pulls more heat out of the stock in contact.  I use a fairly light chain and just have a bar on the end to step on when I need greater grab.  Use as a weight looks like it works well.

Hey, Chris....somewhere here on IFI are a couple or more threads about hold downs, specifically chain types.  Try a search using "XXXX iforgeiron" on Google, where XXXX is the subject; chains, hold downs, etc.  The search function here is not really that good.  I use the motorcycle chain as well and it works great.  I just hung a 2-3# weight on the free end and hook the static end on the anvil block.

Good Morning,

One way, is put a hook on the far side of your anvil base. The hook will grab a link or a pin to go through a link. Drap the chain over your anvil to a stirrup for your foot to hold pressure on. Or, a big bungee cord to hold tension, then you aren't doing the 'One Foot Hookie-Poockie', forget about whistling or chewing gum.

Neil