I Forge Iron

What is this axe????

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, since the link got removed (didnt read the post about eBay links) I'll try screenshots of just the axe. I think it is really interesting because aside from a 16th century corner chisel ive never seen 90 angle blades on a tool. No idea what it may have been used for.

hammer head 1.jpg

hammer head 2.jpg

hammer head 3.jpg

Your images have been cropped and reduced in size from 2.1 megs to less than 50kb

The mortising tool makes sense seeing that the corner of the cutting edge is aligned with the side of the tool, however ... that would force you to keep the tool at 45 to make a straight angle. Weird.

I say it is to cut bear's  toenails. 

Or carve a V channel in a plank ... to make a hand made washing board? 

Folks,

The tool may be some sort of scutching tool for masonry or rock carving tools.

There are also similar ones for scutching flax. But that is not at issue here.

A scutching hammer is used to knock masonry off of old bricks. It is a brick layer's tool.

But that is just a guess.

Take a look at this figure,

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=stone+masonry+tools+pictures&t=h_&ia=images&iax=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fimage.slidesharecdn.com%2Fbrickmasonrytools-151127123349-lva1-app6891%2F95%2Fbrick-masonry-tools-7-638.jpg%3Fcb%3D1448627784

It shows a scutching hammer, but there are scutching tools that are also used.

also look at ,

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=scutching+tools+pictures+images&t=h_&ia=images&iax=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk%2Fmedia%2Fwysiwyg%2FScutching-tools%2FST-1-2.jpg

SLAG.

I doubt it would be too good for carving a channel because the bottom of the "Vee" is in plane with the face of the hammer.  It wouldn't allow a self-registering cut below flush the way an adze would.

Based on the bevels, I'm thinking they are arranged to better cut a V than a point.  A triangular notch might be useful in making loomed sheet goods tear at the apex.  I wonder if it was used for something like sail making?

41 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Its for chinking in log homes

Correct me if I'm wrong (happens more than I'll admit) but chinking is filling the gaps between two logs on a log home. With the blades at 90 degrees to the handle it seems like it would be a very awkward way to use the tool. Or are you talking about before the logs are in place. 

Yes..  And depending on location depends a lot on what was used in between.. 

Not at all.. its designed to cut upper and lower.. You can also do it on the ground.. yes on the ground..  You can cut both left and right or up and down..  :) 

the back was used to control the depth of cut.. 

People were way smarter than they are today..    Thats why it doesn't make much sense.. 

Ok, so what did I win? 

I'd like more info to back up that that is a chinking tool. 

I've never come across a tool like that for any log work. I see no need to vee out where the chinking would go. 

Old time chinking was moss with a mix put over it. No wood cutting needed.

Here's about the only tool needed for chinking log houses, including moss. 

chinking5.jpg

I'm thinking it' a cope chisel for relatively shallow mortises say planking. The two sides allows you to cope two corners without moving. A single hammer type coping chisel would require you to move or turn the piece three times to square up one hole. This one would allow you to square a hole and only move one time. 

I can't see chinking anything with this one or how it'd make chinking better. We just made two sided logs or made the top log's bottom side slightly hollowed to match the log below. One of us made the notch and another would hew the face. Yeah, I've done it with: axe, adze and slick and made saddle notches with a bowl adze or large gouge. Making two sided logs with a chain saw works best, a LITTLE practice and you don't have to chink, a bead of calking works a treat. 

One of the locals chinked with tar soaked manila rope like it was a boat. It worked a treat but he couldn't find anybody willing to help a second time.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not all chinking was done like the ways shown.   

I bet when you get this ax finally you will clearly see the ax has a rocker face on side for the corner cuts.. It won't be flat..  It is not used as most will see it.. It is not really swung like an axe at all.. 

But, the nice thing is.. It's all fun.. 

Can't wait to see more detailed photo's..  

And I still stick with Chinking..  Keep in mind with my relatively shallow understand of mechanics today of what actually took place 100+ years ago. LOL.. is impeccably abstract with modern Idiocy wrapped in. 

the other things that is kind of neat is simply this..  As an example of use vs miss use.. 

Years ago Myth Busters did a show on Mizo Gumo.. Or Water spiders.. These are Ningu used by ninja to walk across  ponds..  LOL.. Or so people think.. 

Only people who know how to use them properly can use them for the intended purpose..     The myth buster guys tried to use (walk ) in a swimming pool and labeled these water spiders as a busted . 

Running on Water

Myth: Ninjas could walk on water using the aid of mizugumo

Mizugumo

Mizugumo (Japanese for 'water spider'): flat wooden disks meant to be strapped to the feet

Adam and Jamie wanted to test if mizugumo would have allowed ninjas to walk across water. Adam manufactured a pair using pine board cut into four quarter-circle pieces and a rectangular center piece. The entire contraption was laced together with twine.

Here's a photo of mizugumo in a Japanese museum:

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/resources/2007/mizugumo-thumb.png

photo by markcbarrett

Adam sunk like a rock as soon as he stuck his first foot in. He decided to do go crazy fast for the second run, "like cartoon," for the second run -- same result.

Adam: "I don't know about you, but these seem a little cumbersome to me... the important thing is I look xxxx good"

As it turns out, mizugumo were actually meant for rice paddies and mud flats, like snowshoes.

I finally got it in the mail today but didnt get a chance to test it on anything yet. I do want to say its hand made, theres a few "errors" I can only attribute to human hands. For instance the bevel on the right is not a perfect 90 degrees to the handle. If it was machine made I can't see that happening.

The body of the tool looks reminiscent of a double bit axe. The head weighs about 8 pounds, the blades are 72 degrees so I guess that rolls out a being used to make a square mortise.

Actually holding in my hands didnt bring any light to its use. Also no touch stamp, brand name, or date anywhere on it. 

The pitting on it also isn't uniform, not sure if my pictures do it justice but there's a varying range of large and small pits, biggest one being about the size of a pea. 

20200129_115627.jpg

20200129_115616.jpg

20200129_115656.jpg

20200129_115610.jpg

Yup, has the rocker I was talking about..  also has the 2 handed grip that would be used for running a groove down a log..  :)     LOL..    Giddy up.. 

run a straight edge across the back tops of the tooths  (top of the V) .. see if they are parallel?  Betcha they are not and follow the rocker of the blade or are pretty close..  :) Giddy up..   LOL..