I Forge Iron

What is this axe????

Frosty I was waiting till you showed up.. :)    

You need to go back and read it again..   I never said I was having fun at anyone elses expense..  Nor did I make fun of anyone..   Gotta real in the attitude..  

I don't make light of anyone opinions and as they say..  And as they apply to me also..    It's only an opinion..   it can be something or not..   

One persons idiot is another persons Genius..   

You and everyone can say what they want..  As we all do..   Unless someone here knows exactly what it was for or it's intended purpose it's all opinion..  And from my limited understanding of tools and usage  Putting in a groove was and is it's intended purpose, be it for chinking or otherwise..  

" I can see in my mind, how the tool is used".. I can also see by the wear and clean area on the handle how it was used".   its not rocket science.. 

Some people like to do the bait and switch..  Or even follow up with "Show me".. LOL..    Every single person has their own experiences, beliefs and imaginations..   That's all great.. 

I gave my honest opinion and I do agree it's for putting grooves in..  A chinking job is what.. A groove..   LOL..   

I make light of no one else opinion but my own..   :)  Not sure where you think I am making fun of anyone else but myself..     

Is it intriguing sure it is..    LOL..      

By the way.. it doesn't really matter if you have or have not done something if you can "Stay at a Holiday Inn Express"..  You can fly a space shuttle or a Jet liner after the fact..  :)  I know because I have seen it on TV.   

You guys gotta make my mind.. You want the serious Jennifer or the joking one?   I'm still trying to figure it all out..  

I put in LOL, funny faces and I'm not sure if you guys are just not seeing the humor in it..   LOL..  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

A chinking job is what.. A groove.. 

Not even close. 

LOL  doesn't make a statement "all in good fun." And you don't have to say you're making fun of someone to make fun of them. Though you did in fact say another poster's observation and reasoning was to a post that was just in fun. Wasn't in fun till YOU said it was?

I knew I would regret engaging in a thread with you. I apologize to IFI members I shouldn't have said anything, I won't do it again. 

There are some very vindictive people on here or very egocentric..      Why for the life of you or anybody else..  Think I have nothing better to do than sit around thinking of things to say to offend other people..   Thats crazy..    Why is it crazy.. 

Because that is the farthest thing from my mind..   I'm only here to help, the information  is a way that will move a person along in both understanding and reason..    I won't say I'm hurt, just disappointed.. 

If you think your comment about offending another is really what I am after then you don't know me at all.. 

What is it that you guys really want?       If I give my experiences they are challenged..  If I say something based on what I read.. I'm asked to prove it..  If I make fun of myself, it automatically turns into making fun of someone else..  

What is it you really want..   Opinion, fact, experience because mine are  different..  what?? 

The bottom mating side of an individual timber gets the groove cut. When said timber is placed, the groove is over the previously set timber.

Prior generations had their share of stupid people, Just as we do in ours. We know that adzes planes, chisels and axes all existed before this thing. Every one of which would be a more expedient and effective tool for your suggested purpose. If it was for cutting chinking grooves, the inherent limitations likely lead most craftspeople to conclude that it was a bad design for that purpose which is why the idea didn't take off.

So if we're going to show respect to the intelligence of craftspeople, it seems only reasonable to conclude that it's the wrong tool for the job.

Your responses suggest that you think we were dismissing your idea.  Moreover, you were "chuckling" at our feeble attempts to explain that which was obvious to you.

I responded because I wanted to show you that I respected your input. Please bear that in mind.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:21 PM, Matt Scanlan said:

Went out and tested it. It does make very uniform cuts. And once it gets started you can use the two grip handle to put some power behind it. 

Are you pushing it without lifting it out of the groove after It's started? I know it's a lot of trouble but if you have the time posting a twenty second video of it cutting would be greatly appreciated. 

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Pnut, not at all

I'm having a hard time picturing it being used if it's not swung. The only sense I can make out of it is if it was pushed along the cut like an offset chisel of sorts. .

Pnut

Since I had no idea what chinking is ... sounds like something to do with shooting ... I looked it up and this is what I came up with 

When it comes to building, purchasing or maintaining a log cabin, you can’t go far without discussing log cabin chinking.

Chinking is the material that fits between the imperfect joints of logs to ensure a “seal” from external elements (e.g. rain, snow and sleet) whilst eliminating heat loss and air infiltration.

In simple terms, chinking is the flexible sealant used during your log home’s construction or maintenance to seal joins between the logs, gaps, holes and checking.

Log Home Chinking today has replaced the traditional portland cement and daubing which historically was used on log homes over 200 years old.

I see now. (sort of) it's like caulking between the logs. The groove should keep the caulking in place (?) And what is it with the last sentence ... portland cement ? Hard to obtain when you are up a mountain and a few days ride from the nearest town. I thought that lime or mud would have been more the thing ... or tar. 

If the use of the mystery thing is to carve a groove along a log for purpose of sealing with ... whatever they used ... the fact that you need to swing it sideways, shouldn't be a problem. After all it is not like the groove needs to be perfectly straight. It should work on soft wood. Good luck using it on our timber. :)

As for the argy bargy above ... may I say that it is the tone that makes the music, and also that the intentions of the author are irrelevant and only the potential effect words have on the reader are important. That is why when you write what you may think is funny or clever, you have to think that may be, just may be someone else is not in the mood for jokes and may be over sensitive to something due to personal issues or events.  Yes, it is different from having a conversation because the body language is missing, and the words stay on the screen.

Just saying. 

I’m enjoying this mystery and have contacted some English historic tool groups, with no success thus far. 

To keep the conversation going, here is a thought. To begin with, I still think that if you are creating a bevel for chinking you most likely would do it with a broad axe/hatchet while prepping the log because you have that tool in hand already and the log is well positioned for such a cut, and also it would likely be much faster than stacking or lining up the logs and using this odd tool. So here’s a thought...what if it was designed for cleaning out old chinking in preparation for new chinking? Crazy, yes, but it’s a crazy looking tool!

26 minutes ago, MilwaukeeJon said:

By the way, here is a really beautiful video about log cabin building in the Finnish manner:

https://www.protradecraft.com/video/video-treat-finnish-axe-men-build-traditional-log-cabin—windows-and-all

Right now we don't know if that is the original handle or not.  Is the eye tapered with the "top" being larger than the "bottom"?  If not I am wondering if the original handle and use was making grooves in a beam using the tool almost like a drawshave, given the grooves in the head above the "V's" to allow the chips to exit the cutting surface.  It would have enough weight to make the grooves easier and dependent upon application the user could make larger or smaller "V" grooves.

If the eye is truly tapered, I would agree with the suggestion it was used much like a hewing axe.

Just my 0.02.

Moosetrot

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 3:12 PM, Red Shed Forge said:

Did anything ever come of this?

From my end unfortunately not, I contacted a few friends as well as experts on early hand tools and none have a clue what its purpose was. I can definitely post a video, I recently moved and it ended up in storage until my work shop is up and running so it will be a few days until I post it.