I Forge Iron

Strange looking horn on a Swedish anvil

Welcome to IFI Boneyjoe. Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST  It will help you get the best out of the forum with tips, like editing your profile to show your location.

I've never seen another like it, probably an on site modification for some special purpose.

2 hours ago, Boneyjoe said:

I think it's a soderfor 

Soderfors Sweden and the crown shield logo is stamped right above the weight so I'd say that's a pretty good . . . think. :rolleyes:

I've  never seen a horn like that either but Soderfors is a foundry first and anvil maker a couple steps down the list, when they were casting anvils. They'll cast anything you're willing to pay for so I suppose you could find: horns, heals or bodies in almost any configuration.

I love cast Swedish steel anvils, I have a 125lb. Soderfors and have never worked on finer. Put that beautiful old lady to work, she'll put a smile on your face as you shine up hers.

No grinding please, a wire brush to clean off loose rust if you wish but no grinding removing steel only shortens the useful life.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:15 PM, FlatLiner said:

I wonder if the horn broke off and they ground down part of what was left so they could have a small bick.

I guess that's possible but the lines are so clean really seems to have been built like that. I think it's a soderfor 

20191202_132725.jpg

20191202_132721.jpg

14 hours ago, Chelonian said:

Given the slight gap on the bottom (meaning it's not one piece), my guess is the horn broke off, and someone bored a hole into the end of the horn and jammed that extra piece in as a replacement.

I agree after closer inspection not really sure how one would go about boring a hole in something this hard I know anything would be possible but to drill with an inch and a half or inch and 3/4 hole in an anvil this solid would be no small undertaking..

Thanks for all the great information we passed it along to a young knife maker in my area @finchs_forge  Christmas came very early for him we included a large box of really big industrial files and a massive 10 inch Vise he's going to make each of the family members a Custom Knife from the old files

Thank you pretty excited about it the Anvil, Vise and large box of files all came from a 4th generation welding shop that made everything from car batteries to their owns acetylene through the depression , World War II, all the way up to a few years ago when the last owner passed away there's just so much history in this old anvil if only it could talk. Now the young man that has it @finches_forge gets to help the family celebrate by making a set of knives from the old industrial files that came with it. Eric Finch spent last week cleaning and polishing the old Anvil with wire brushes and wire wheels I will keep you all updated.

IMG_4338.jpg

• 1 month later...

HH yours is one piece. The op's anvil looks like a fix. I haven't been able to find another one like yours. I've been looking since I seen the first picture of it. I'm dying to know what it was made for specifically. 

Pnut

Same here man (i doubt we will ever know any solid info on my anvil) I use the "step" horn for many many projects. It's a softer steel but better than cast iron. And your right about the OPs anvil, looks like repair instead of intentional. Having a mini horn, or a bick is a really handy tool. He will enjoy it, good for tight bends, and eye work on hatchets and hammers.