I Forge Iron

Strange looking horn on a Swedish anvil

Yeah Thomas that's why I don't let not knowing what it is keep me from using it daily. The quality and story behind the anvil is more important than the make of the anvil. And pnut the whole anvil is softer steel but tougher than cast. My arm and Hammer has a clip welded into the side and a cut all the way through the top plate and I use those "tweaks" that the last owner made for alot of my work today.  : )

Doesn't help that the folks at POS may not know.  I had a person at HarborFreight tell me that their 55# Cast Iron ASO was made from steel---when it said cast iron right on it!  When I argued the point I was told that they didn't have to know the details of stuff they sold. "So misrepresenting it is OK?"

5 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Doesn't help that the folks at POS may not know.  I had a person at HarborFreight tell me that their 55# Cast Iron ASO was made from steel

The sales associates at many retail stores are the least reliable source of information about the products being sold. 

Pnut

I know this is off topic but I have been keeping tarantulas for 4 years now and it's the same thing happening. They will have a 250$ female listed, and some sellers will send you a 40$ mature male at the end of his lifecycle just because there's little to no differences between the two. A mature male might have a year or two left in him when a female has 15 years. You can ventral sex the tarantula but you have to be there. There's many Online sellers who are just plain out crooks.

Cast iron ( mature male at the end of lifecycle)

Cast steel (the expensive female you were wanting in the first place) 

And Thomas Iv also seen the "tough durable hardened cast iron is suitable for your every need, the best cast steel anvil ever made!" Sells that's been happing. It's a shame.  

It depends on what species and the sex. A theraphosa stirmi (Goliath birdeater) male is around 90$ I got my female for 250$ the P. Metallica female can run you 400+ in some states. And then you have Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona blond) an adult female is about 40 bucks : ) 

Funny thing about that is that that tarantula isn't actually a Goliath birdeater. It's a lasiodora parahybana (salmon pink birdeater) it's still a birdeater but not the true.That term is more like saying a London pattern anvil. A Goliath birdeater is any big spider to most people that's why we don't use common names for them : ) for example you have the theraphosa stirmi and theraphosa Blondi, theraphosa Apophysis. All birdeaters haha.