I Forge Iron

Get " HAMMERED " at MOONY'S

Just back from getting hammered.

We had a brilliant time great company, great food and great information.

It was just a "bit" of culture shock to go from my little rivet forge to Moony's. I could not even find a set of tongs to hold anything below 1/2"!! At home I reckon 1/2" is getting rather large.......

Of course thanks and comments are in order:

• Moony - for hosting the event and for the tips on hammer technique. Boy, it feels strange but I'm sure it will become more natural with practice.
  • Dale - for helping organise the event and working toward its success all weekend.
  • "Little" Jeremy - great to put a face to a name. Strange to think I have virtually chatted with him many times but could walk past him in the street and not know. Strange world we live in. If nothing else, I think I would recognise a Aspen tree now. This great big bloke was punching out some of the most delicate work, aspen leaves, at the event and it was a real pleasure to watch. I really learnt lots from him by just watching.
  • Other faces for names include Longstrider, he still didn't leave that chopper for my kitchen set, even after all my hints. Monstermetal, Ian R and Ratel.
  • One of my mates came down and had never done any forging. One of the blokes there took him under his wing and he proudly displayed a wall hook and gum leaf to his wife and kids yesterday. He may be hooked......
  • The industrial boys are in a world of their own. I did lots of watching and learnt a lot but they don't play with small stuff like I do. Still the techniques are the same, just need applying in a slightly different way. They really love their power hammers.
  • The others all contributed to my blacksmithing knowledge and I thank them. Not by name but just as important. We all learn something from everyone we meet in life and I learnt lots this weekend.
  • Reckon I will be changing from coal to coke now with an electric blower. The lack of white smoke/fumes was a pleasure and the constant fire with the blower made things MUCH easier to use.
  • The coupla furnace was an interesting display. Sure shows why steel was so precious in earlier times.
  • The Rich Hale knife that was raffled was a thing of great beauty. It certainly displayed the combination of forging, finishing and art. It went to one of the apprentices who will really appreciate it for the skill needed to produce an item like that and be suitably proud to be the owner.

Just a bit stoked at present and wishing I could push on at home tomorrow but work calls.

Included a couple of pictures for of the 10 station forging table that Moony had set up for us. Fantastic communal feeling when working like that.

I'll be there again in a flash next year.

post-4402-092864100 1288561576_thumb.jpg

post-4402-066142000 1288561585_thumb.jpg

Just got back myself, awesome three days,gets better every year. I'd like to reflect Rob's comment in thanking everyone concerned and it was great to put a face to a name in meeting Jeremy K, he's a real nice bloke and loaded with heaps of helpful information. Also thanks to Longstrider from England who impressed us with his knife cutting skills and scary sharp knives.

Will post pics ASAP as will others I'm sure.

Cheers Ian

Here's a couple of pics to get started. It's not all serious, here's some fun we had with a 100lb sledge.

100lb? dont you mean 100 KG it was actually 107 kg when billy started but allowing for the hole getting punched and a bit of grinding maybe 105kg now.

Phil

G'Day All ,
" home " ( thank GOD ) , what a BLAST , Jeremy K's with me now , both of us suckin' on stubbie's :)

Rob , thanks's for the thank's , but tis MOONY who get's it all .
Told youse , youse would be dragin' youse jaw on the ground once youse got there

Rich , i'd like you to know the knife went ta a 1 yr apprentic smith ( on $ he'd borrowed off his boss " Forgemaster / Phil " ) No doubt he'll be doin' all the " dirty " job's for the next 3 months just ta pay it back :) BTW mate , thanks , every 1 just fell in LOVE with it ..

LOT'S of tinnies / stubbie's & plenty of HOT iron was ta be seen & enjoyed over the 3 days

All in all it was a GREAT weekend , can't wait for next yr .

Just ta let youse all know , due ta space we may ave ta limit numbers ... So get in early to let me know ifin youse is comin' .. OK

Dale Russell

JK ....Sittin' here w/ Dale talking about everything.... yea... was a superb time!!!!! - I'm Glad I could make it over for the event. Lots of great commerodery was had by all (well I had a great time for sure). I hope evertone else had as good of time as I. Rain came Monday and would have been a bust if it was over the weekend - glad it held off. Again it was a superb time!!! Jeremy K

Hello to all GET HAMMERED attendies , I AM HAPPY you all had a good time and that we all meet and no one was injured , and the fire table worked a treat , and Jeremy and Ian and Sandy it was a real pleasure to meet , face to face and to all others that came that i had not seen before ,and to old faces from the other meetings , we all hammered till late in the night, I enjoyed the challenge of having a go at cutting the hanging rope with Ians beautiful knife, real SSSHHAARRPP, AND Ian sorry i hit the table with your folder, you are a real master with that cutting again thanks to all and GET HAMMERED , WE DID till next time
HAPPY HAMMERING Glenn Moon

Glenn - It was a Great pleasure to meet you and everyone that attended!!!!! - I'm Glad you and Dale invited me!!! Since I've been in Ausrailia I've had a great relaxing time. I will spread the great commrodery that was involed with everyone in the states when I get home. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and put a face w/ a name. To those that have never been to Australia....... GO THERE!!!! well worth the effort. Granted, I knew it would not be an ordinary sight seeing trip, but I have had a super time meeting other blacksmiths and seeing there shops when we could. I really appreciate all that Glenn Moon and Dale Russell have done to accomidate me during my trip over here in the land of OZ. Cheer's Mates!!! This is a trip I will not forget anytime soon. I hope I can make it work for next year!!! - Jeremy K

Well guys, what can I say ? THANK YOU for a most amazing trip ! :) Sandy and I had a ball :)
Special thanks of course to Glenn and his lovely wife for hosting such a great event and for making us feel so welcome.
Dale.. You're a Star mate. Thanks for the help getting sorted and for the tuition on my first foray into forging stainless. Leaves aren't all that different to blades you know... ;)
Everyone we met made us feel welcomed and part of the event. This is always the way, it would seem, with Hammer-Ins all over the world, but the welcome we got from the gang at Moony's was truly extra-ordinary.

We're just about over our jet-lag now, having got back to Blighty a couple of days ago, but the good memories of the weekend spent at Moony's will live for a long long time.

Sorry I had to bring the comp cutter home mate. I sort of need that for next week when I'm off to compete in a cutting competition in Belgium :) I am available for commissions though ;) It would certainly make short work of slicing and dicing carrots ! :lol:

All in all, we hope that everyones head has cleared now and that all made it home safe and sound.

THANK YOU for a fantastic visit guys !

Yeh thanks Glenn, hammered at moonies is one event I look forward to each year. Already counting down to the nest one. With luck we will have a hammered in the Hunter between the next hammered at moonies as a farewell to our old workshop. I'll keep you all informed anyway.

John, feed that boy up. We need him to build himself up a bit.

Thanks again glenn.

Yeh thanks Glenn, hammered at moonies is one event I look forward to each year. Already counting down to the nest one. With luck we will have a hammered in the Hunter between the next hammered at moonies as a farewell to our old workshop. I'll keep you all informed anyway.

John, feed that boy up. We need him to build himself up a bit.

Thanks again glenn.

Will do Phil
Got him on the porige just gotta find some cows
Cheers John and Dags

Here are some pics of a little bit of fun at Glenn's Hammer-in - JK

post-280-0-71574600-1289694392_thumb.jpg
Glenn playing with Will Maguire's toy hammer that weighs 107KG (235.89lb)

post-280-0-90406300-1289695580_thumb.jpg
A bunch of fires going

post-280-0-03105200-1289695405_thumb.jpg
A couple beers that were had

post-280-0-66926600-1289695759_thumb.jpg
Jeremy and Glenn with a super sledge made by Will Maguire

post-280-0-70178300-1289695861_thumb.jpg
Ken doing a little hammering (94yrs young)

post-280-0-97960500-1289696202_thumb.jpg
Glenn,Jeremy,Dale showing the "get it hot, hit it hard" on the sleeve of the shirts (gifts for Glenn and Dale from Jeremy)

post-280-0-71450900-1289696238_thumb.jpg
Jeremy with a Aussie hat from Dale, Glenn with custom anvil,stump and hammer dunny paper (Glenn and Dale got their own roll)

post-280-0-71217900-1289696320_thumb.jpg
Jay on the right - winner of the Rich Hale knife

post-280-0-06066100-1289696636_thumb.jpg
Saturday night feed

post-280-0-45558800-1289696683_thumb.jpg
Saturday night feed

post-280-0-15112000-1289696892_thumb.jpg
Iron smelting

Just in case anyone is curious, the big!!!! sledge hammer was made by Will Maguire (Billy)(one of my old apprentices) as a assignment for his uni art course, the theme that they had to come up with was "the application of music through the ages" or something like that. The hammer represents "heavy metal". It was made from a blank of mild forged up by Mr Peter Starling at Kymon Forge on a 2 ton Massey hammer, Will then bought it to my workshop where we punched the hole for the handle and forged the ends oct first on our 400 ton press, then prettied it up with our 5cwt Massey. He then took it home and ground the faces etc. The handle is made from the trunk of a small tree. The head weighs 107KG (235.89lb). When it is going to be in an art exhibit it goes on a plinth that stands the hammer with the head to the top.

• 3 weeks later...