I Forge Iron

Get " HAMMERED " at MOONY'S

Moony started off with I seem to recall about 300mm of 100 dia 4140, jumped that up to a cube about 150 x 150 x 150 (can't be right as my calulations gives 432 of 100 dia to make a 150 cube, but anyway).
Then held that out the front of the dies with about 30mm sticking out and necked it down to about 90 thick x by what ever it came to. We then used a round back to spread the foot in both directions, working at 90 degrees turn about, with the anvil face sitting on the bottom block of the hammer. Then used the round back to spread the face of the anvil lenghtways, with the anvil sitting right way up on the bottom block.
Then working out the side of the hammer, Moony drew out the heel and rough tapered it down, turned the anvil around and did roughly the same with the horn/bick. We then held the anvil under the hammer and used sledge hammers to offset both the bick and the heel to the line of the face.
The anvil was then dressed up on the anvil by flatters, swages and sledges.

I know that this may not make sense to many people, but if you see it done, it makes more sense, then reading about it.
Others should have more photos to post, I hope.

18547.attach

18548.attach

18549.attach

18550.attach

18551.attach

• 5 months later...

Just bumping this up to the front again, and to ask Dale and the Moon Man if it will be on again this year. I'm keen for it. Maybe we need to look at a date soon, if it is to run again. Maybe we could all kick the tin this year to assist glen with what it costs, re food etc.
My thoughts.

Phil

Just bumping this up to the front again, and to ask Dale and the Moon Man if it will be on again this year. I'm keen for it. Maybe we need to look at a date soon, if it is to run again. Maybe we could all kick the tin this year to assist glen with what it costs, re food etc.
My thoughts.

Phil

G'day All,
yep Phil Get HAMMERED will be run again this yr . I was just waiting till i had my shoulder op to post it

29 th , 30 th & 31 st of October .

There will be a $ 25.00 " donation " to Mr Moon to help cover costs

Also a sign-in sheet & name tags ( i know after 20 tinnies i tend to forget peoples names ) :)

Bang either me or MOONY an pm / e-mail to let us know if your comin' ( need to know ow much tucker ta get in for the feed the Saturday nite )

Same deal as last yr , camp on site , bring food for all other meals ect

chopperdale@hotkey.net.au

Dale Russell

Ok , that " 3 " maybes .. still need an e-mail / pm from youse blokes

Andrew . you wanna come up with something ?
Maybe set 3 diff contests , Beginner / semi exp & Pro ( MOONY / Forgemaster / Damo ect )
May try talk the Pro's ( & youse know who youse are ... :) )inta givin' a tong ( or what ever ) demo under power hammers

Glenn is goin' ta finish off 1 of the 10 station forges he was buildin' for the class with Uri Hofi
This will be set up most probably outside ( or in the other part of shed if weathers bad )
This should give us plenty of forges to play with , each station will ave it's own anvil

Remember to bring your campin' gear , BEER , food , BEER , tools , BEER & any project you want to work on while at Glenns

I " found " & cleaned up a 3 burner bbq which has been left at Glenn's for cooking , once i get clearance from doc that i can start usin' my shoulder again i'll rig up something for hot water ( coffee / tea ect )

29 th , 30 th & 31 st October . Braidwood NSW

We also need an international ( Richard Thibeau first yr , Ian Lowe second yr ) Grant , mite be a good time to visit your daughter seein' she's thinkin' of stayin' on our lovely shores ... :)

PM / e-mail me if your comin' , we need ta know ow much tucker ta ave for the Saturday nite feed

Dale Russell
chopperdale@hotkey.net.au

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the offer mate, but I'm flying into Canberra this time. I re-arranged my flight after Hofi had to cancel his trip.
No, no ute yet, RR or otherwise. Still temping @ work, and until that is resolved one way or the other there's no point buying a vehicle.

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the offer mate, but I'm flying into Canberra this time. I re-arranged my flight after Hofi had to cancel his trip.
No, no ute yet, RR or otherwise. Still temping @ work, and until that is resolved one way or the other there's no point buying a vehicle.

Yeh Andrew, he does'nt want to have to get out and help push your old jalopy up the hills, nor be overtaken by a bullock team and dray going down the other side.

Phil
I should be diesel turbo uted by then.

Count me in Dale and a big thanks to you and Glenn for the other weekend at Braidwood. B) Attached is a photo of the finished hammer and my first attempt at a pineapple twist letter opener. The hammer started life as a Hyster forklift axle shaft supplied by Dale and was roughed out by Glenn on the Massey with final shaping,polishing, hardening and tempering done at home using 60 and 80 grade flap discs on a 4" grinder. You were right Dale, flap discs leave grinding discs for dead. ;)

post-5570-056774500 1273408395_thumb.jpg

Ian , any time mate . Just glad you had some " fun " .

Ok , i'll mark you down as comin' , still need a PM / e-mail from you thou

Nice job on the pineapple twist too mate .Ave youse tried out the hammer yet ? Don't forget to stamp " G M or MOONY " on that hammer mate . See , told youse flap disc's rock :)

Dale Russell

Thanks Dale, I used the hammer on the pineapple twist and a few other things too, it weighs in at 2.9 lbs which is close to the 3lbs I was wanting. The stamp you put on at Braidwood is still there, on the other side of the hammer ;)

Cheers Ian

Thanks Dale, I used the hammer on the pineapple twist and a few other things too, it weighs in at 2.9 lbs which is close to the 3lbs I was wanting. The stamp you put on at Braidwood is still there, on the other side of the hammer ;)

Cheers Ian

Doh ! , had a lot of BEER & a shoulder op ( oh those cloud 9's :) ) between then & now Ian , forgive me for not remembering

Dale Russell ( aka ) Lefty

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day all you AUSSIE'S ,
don't forget about this yrs Get HAMMERED at MOONY'S this yr

Let me or MOONY know ifin youse is comin'

Hopin' ta ave at least 10 IFI members there this yr , we're at 8 , so who else is comin' ?????

"G'Day all you USSIE'S [[ ,
don't forget about this yrs Get HAMMERED at MOONY'S this yr"

Oh, is this an occasion to discriminate against us Outlanders ?? B)

Richard , as youse know , any 1's welcome . Must be as we's let youse come :)

Any of you " international's " ( Grant you readin' this ? ) are welcome to drop in " if " your here in OZ

P.S . Shoulders gettin' better , but there is no chance of me swinging a " hand " hammer this yr , you " mite " find me " playin' " on the power hammers thou ... :)

Hey Dale
Hand hammering is over rated anyway, why use a hand hammer when you can use a power hammer. Can you at least hoist a beer to your mouth yet.

Hi Richard we will have to wait till next year then, will be good to see you again.

Talking to Moonie the other day, if we get much more rain we will all have to pack swimming togs, moonie has a water view from the front of his 7 cwt, and thats not even looking outside of the door.

I reckon that Grant will just turn up unannounced, just to give us a suprise. Grant are you listening to me?

Cheers

Phil

post-5537-075874300 1275565417_thumb.jpg

Phil , they make real long straws these days .. :) Physio has got me movin' a bit better , still havin' ta take a cloud 9 or 2 ( pain pill ) now & then ( like now , just back from pool :( ) & yep i'll sure be usin' at least " 1 " of MOONY'S hammers

Grant , October / November is a real nice time ta visit your daughter seein' she's thinkin' of stayin' down here

Richard ,, only 16 more months

That's our MAD MOONY for youse , put a swimmin' hole in front of the Massey ta jump inta after smashin' hot iron .

P.S . i've had 10 rsvp's from IFI members so far for Get HAMMERED , come on , i'm sure theres more of youse out there lurkin' out their . Bang me a PM or e-mail chopperdale@hotkey.net.au to let me know your comin'

• 2 weeks later...