I Forge Iron

peroxide finish, has anyone tried this?

pnut

I just watched a guy make a bracket for a chest on a woodworking show. He submerged it in simmering hydrogen peroxide from the drugstore for about ten minutes to rust it then cleaned it with denatured alcohol. He proceeded to submerge the piece in simmering distilled water for a few minutes which turned the rust a bluish black color then added a coat of wax while warm from the distilled water bath.  Has anyone seen or used this method for coloring cold worked steel? It seems like an easy way to age or color steel in certain situations.

Pnut

Yes, this turns the red iron oxide (hematite, Fe2O3) to black iron oxide (magnetite, Fe3O4). 

Rusting a piece and then boiling it is a classic method of forcing a patina. The Japanese in particular are known for using a preparation of daikon (radish) for the rusting part. Someone I know through Facebook was just talking about doing this  with a pressure cooker, which seems like a bit of overkill. 

I have an old book on blueing and browning of steel:

Firearm Blueing and Browning; R.H.Angier 1936  "with over 230 formulas for chemical and heat colouring of gun metals and for other processes -- rust removal, barrel finishing, nickel plating -- with practical instructions and notes."

Typically with old sources SAFETY IS THE READERS JOB!

I know a guy who found an original poem handwritten  by Rudyard Kipling in a used book of poetry he bought at a tiny bookstore in Covington KY.

Some folks have all the luck.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

I knew a fellow who found an old leather-backed book holding up one corner of a refrigerator in a used restaurant supply company. It was clearly marked "Volume One", so he argued (successfully) that he shouldn't pay a premium for an incomplete set. They settled on $50.

And what book was it? The original printing of the Congressional Record!

I think people would be much nicer to each other if the threat of a duel was a real possibility. I'm all for it. 

Unfortunately being considered dishonorable doesn't carry the stigma it once did so there's nothing to compel the offender to accept the challenge made by the offended. 

Pnut

Gentlemen, 

Firstly,  Mr. Taylor,  I shall not  presently,  diverge from said topic.

The SLAG

Accepts all challenges to a duel.

And as the challegee, he has the right to choose the weapon and details of the "affair of honor".

His stipulated request is always,  fragmentation grenades at twelve paces.

Seconds are permitted to take cover.

Now I shall desist from further comment upon said topic.

Regards,

SLAG.

• 2 months later...

All of the hooks I tried it on have been given away. It's basically a black oxide finish. You can try it out on a small piece of steel. It's really pretty quick to do. It looks like a forged piece that's been coated with BLO and wax while hot. If you're going to be forging the piece it's really not necessary as it will be black anyway. Just coat it with an oil/wax finish at a black heat. 

Pnut