I Forge Iron

Show us your Hammer Stand

Chris C

I am continually impressed with the ingenuity of the members of this forum.  I've truly enjoyed and learned tons of tips from the "Show me your Anvil Stands" thread.  Blows me away with the way people approach something a supposedly simple as a place to set one's anvil on.  I recently brought up the question about how to attach a hammer rack to my anvil stand and picked up a lot of ideas.  I know many people are on IFI for the purpose of learning as well as the camaraderie.  JHCC, Arkie and Les L showed me some interesting ideas.  So how about showing us your solution to "where to put all these hammers"?????

Chris

I have a rack on my anvil or I throw the rest in a blue plywood box that I have 

i dont have a picture with the hammers as the focus currently and I’m away from home but here you can see them. 

I plan on building a dedicated rack because I need somewhere to put my extra hammers besides in a box 

6B5063EC-866A-4733-A814-3E068FCFB9D2.jpeg

Replying here on a new device, so bear with me if it all goes pear shaped. My go-to daily hammers are at the anvil. Tier 2 are on basic nail racks on a wood table. The rest are on a reclaimed typewriter table with 3 ranks of doubled rebar. (A typewriter is a primitive mechanical word processor type device that was once common in offices, homes and businesses). I tend to go for the down and dirty when it comes to just about anything I do. It ain’t pretty but it works

Steve

3B7870E2-8498-4E19-B573-93B2ADE75A8F.jpeg

C4F5F060-64A6-42D6-99D6-830DCD67110B.jpeg

FA723F87-E217-4D42-B05C-C4B48E0C46E6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

In my local scrapyard in central New Mexico which has no body of water in the state large enough to support a boat that would require a cleat that size!

I recently cut off the remains of the bolts projecting from the bottom. It will go into the armouring shop once it's cleaned up.  One was steel and the other was wrought iron. The steel one was corroded to a much smaller diameter than the wrought iron one. I am wondering: did they mix the two on purpose? Or was one a replacement---if so I'd think it would have been the steel one and it was already farther along the path to needing another one.

The 99# spherical cast iron dock weights I could understand out here as even the small bodies of water get a lot of wind and they could have been used as counterweights in the old mines.

The cone is a penetrator from a missile, (fellow sold a flat bed load of them as "seconds" at Q-S one year.)

The Swageblock I bought in the early 80's in Oklahoma to be sure that Chris wouldn't luck onto it 3 decades+ later. (It was US$1 a pound.)