I Forge Iron

Sash Window Weights

I have a friend who replaced all his old sash windows a couple of years ago.  I was at his place the other day and noticed a pile of the weights next to a tree.  I'm guessing these are cast iron.  (????)  Are they of any use to a blacksmith?  Told him I'd ask to see if I could get rid of them for him.

I.F.I.  Citizens,   greetings,

Window sashes are useful , for hold downs, as  Mr. I. Dragon has mentioned and for many other uses.

And a close cousin are some of other types of counter weights used for small elevators.

I got a batch, years ago, whilst watching a repair crew fixing a lift. It cost nothing and I have used them over the years for

many solutions.

So a stop at such a repair outfit may pay off.

SLAG.

Window weights, you can throw them at a burglar, use singarly or tie a few together for workout equipment, deadfall booby trap again for intruders, throw at small to medium sized game, build a catapult and lay siege of your neighbors house, tie 2 together and go Bruce Lee with some iron nunchuku, hang from a hoop and make wind chimes.

just a coupe ideas off the top of my head. 

(just to be clear, that is my sad attempt at humor)

This thread, while originally serious, has ended up being very enlightening. Along that vein of thought, I guess I could use them as fly swatters.  :lol:  Sounds as if the only decent thing to do with them is to take them to the scrap yard and trade'em for something I need.  Only problem with that is my scrap yard seldom has anything I need.  :(

they are good to use as a weight to hold down something your working on.

drive a spike in your anvil base, with a chain attached to the window weight, toss it over the piece your working on. Not the most ideal way, but it works.