Converting an inverted hydraulic press into a light-duty forging press

JHCC

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

I should add that making a cord from Romex is asking for trouble

Certainly wouldn't do that! If I do put a 240v outlet in the garage, I suppose the appropriate gauge Romex would be good for the 50'-60' run from the breaker box, but not for anything that's going to be moved around, coiled out of the way, etc necessary for my little shop. 

I thought that amp draw seemed low, and Steve seems to agree. Something is not right with that label.

Just straight by the numbers, 1 hp = 746 watts. That would mean 5 hp = 3728 watts. Watts/volts = amps, so 3728 watts @ 230v = 16.2 amps. These are theoretical numbers and would need put into real work application.

Wire for extension cords is different in terms of wire type and coatings. Romex is actually just a brand name of wire, not a type.

While this is an interesting discussion and I find myself thinking of how I'd test the actual BHP of the motor, it's just curiosity. I hate guessing about things that can kill someone and burn down the house, garage, . . .anything. Think your insurance will pay off on any fire if they find do it yourself wiring anywhere?

This is exactly why I bite the bullet and hire someone like Steve and just point at where I want: lights, switches, outlets, panels, etc. and pay the bill. When I can't afford it I wait and save up.

Getting advice from people on the internet is just entertainment at best. Just look at how many . . . Nevermind, forum rules. suggestions you see in this thread.

John: Have it done by a licensed and bonded professional. I don't have so many friends that I can afford to lose one if I can help it.

Ahh, I see we're typing at the same time again. The pump motor I took out of our old spa is 2HP. 240v and the one that was given to me is 3HP 240 v. the amp numbers on the tags match up and neither gives you the option of 120v. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The motor in the press right now is 3hp, which is a little underpowered. I wanted to go up to 5hp for more squish, and this one came up on the website of my local industrial surplus place for very little. 

About the same; maybe a hair smaller. 

I’m starting to think this motor may not be what I’d hoped. The good news is that even if it’s not, I’m out less than $50 and still have a working motor. 

• 3 weeks later...

Added some locking casters to the feet:

7B79ECDA-7372-4DF2-AD27-32E85746D000.jpeg

The basic idea is to give me more flexibility within the shop, as my half of the garage is getting more and more crowded.

This also raises the working height to about the middle of my sternum. While this is perhaps unconventionally high, I found myself having to bend over much more than my lower back cared for while using The Pressciouss, and I’m hoping this will help. I also have an idea for an adjustable stock support, should that become necessary.

• 2 months later...

Starting to think again about upgrading to 5hp and feeling a little gun shy about amps etc. Looking at some new motors for sale online, I see that a number that are labeled "SPL" where the hp and the amps don't look like they match up. On the other hand, there are some reasonably priced ($230-$330) 5hp "air compressor duty" motors running around 22 amps at 230 volts; does that sound about right?

That is actually just what I ordered for mine, should be here tomorrow. I found that Ebay had the best prices on motors, mine was like $195 with tax and shipping. As you mentioned, make sure you look at FLA. There were quite a few that were listed as 5hp then the spec's said 16 FLA's and an actual 3.5 hp.

• 1 month later...

Having done pretty well on this year's tax refund, we're back in the realm of considering upgrading the motor to 5 HP. Since we didn't do quite well enough to get an electrician to install a 230V outlet in the garage, my current thinking is to run a cord to the unused dryer outlet in the basement. As best as I can figure, it's about a 50-60 foot run from that outlet to where The Pressciousss stands. I think the best option would be to make a long extension cord with a NEMA 10-30 fitting on either end and use the dryer cord I mentioned in this comment wired into the new motor and its switch.  This will enable me to disconnect The Pressciousss and move it around the garage without being leashed to the wall.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:33 PM, Steve Sells said:

IF YOU WANT A  LONGER RUN,  you will most likely need a heaver gauge wire to compensate for voltage drop

Steve, does this sound like a reasonable plan? If so, what gauge wire would you recommend? Also, am I correct in assuming that I need a switch that can handle the 22 amps or so that the higher HP motor will draw?