I Forge Iron

Converting an inverted hydraulic press into a light-duty forging press

JHCC

Unfortunately your dealing with one of the problems of "re-purposing" equipment. You don't really know exactly what you have for some of the pieces of your system. There is also a chance that you control valve is not rated for the flow rate you are at now (unless you have already checked that) 

As I have mentioned earlier, there are websites and calculations to figure out every piece of you system. I strongly suggest you take a few hours  to find those calculations and analyse every piece of your current system. With the current pump flow and pressure analyse all of your pipe sizes and flow rates of the whole system, and the return pressure. Make sure every piece will work for your flow rate and your pressure.

Your system was originally a low volume system so there may be one fitting too small, or one port too small that is causing your issue. With all of the changes you have made nobody really knows exactly what you have but you.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grabbed the old hose that used to go from the pump to the valve; its internal diameter is about 5/16". I suspect that the ID of some of the fittings I've put in place to connect the 3/8" solid tube may be smaller still; I will check those later.

• 1 month later...

Got some fittings and switched in the larger solid tube between the reservoir and the pump and between the pump and the valve. It definitely works a lot better than with the smaller tubes, and I'm getting about 0.82"/sec. I guess that means that it's still stuck in second stage, but it's not stalling out when it goes under load. I'll see how it does with hot steel.

9BB26419-3914-48D5-AB44-C077B553DD4F.jpeg

The valve might have an obstruction restricting the flow to the point of tripping the relief valve in the pump. 

To isolate the problem would require testing the various size plumbing with a timed flow test. Fill a gallon jug or measure container through the various plumbing one at a time.

Start with the main HP hose from the pump to the valve. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Long-overdue update: I finally got around to trying to forge with the new pump in place, without success. So, I’ve put the previous pump back in and resigned myself to working slower than I would like. 

On the other hand, working with a kiss block makes forging down to 1/2” round much easier.

C9817BE9-4733-4BE9-A8EE-AFFC2E15B700.jpeg

You have a new valve too don't you? I'm thinking it's a return it, rather than mess with it. I'd call and see if you missed something though.  How complete is the manual? There isn't much to miss with a pump but I don't know 2 stage pumps well at all. 

This is a bummer.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 months later...