brush <split form another thread>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 years later...

New to this site but have noticed in some videos block brushes. Another industry that uses brush exactly the same and has actually few different types is commercial food industry has block brushes to clean grills so if you have a restaraunt supply store in the area that is a good place to check depending where live. Some come on long wooden handles that you would need to swap out but others come with handke fits in palm 

Yes, you want the "Butcher Block" brush, they have flat spring steel blades and do a good job of stripping scale. The D handled or unhandled butcher block brush works best for cleaning iron work. The long handled ones are good for the BBQ. WHICH is a valid topic for a blacksmith forum, we love to BBQ. BBQ Bullwinkle. mmmmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

Squirrel? I'm not hungry enough to eat rodent, unless it has long ears and hops. Where is my Hasenpheffer?!

There's enough meat on moose ribs to make them worth the effort. Filet of bullwinkle is typically about 5" in diameter and just as tender as filet gets. Mmmmmmm. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, Boris and Natasha pulled a Wile E Coyote and Bullwinkle ambled through without a scratch or noticing. That's about all I recall, I haven't watched in quite a while. BUT I have eaten moose since and it's very tasty. 

There's this young bull that likes to eat the dandelions in the clearing next to the house. He's growing his first rack so he's probably 2 years tender. Small though, probably dress out at 600-700 lbs. It's been a long time since I hunted but IIRC the rack has to be 60" to be legal. And NO shooting one in your yard, that's always a no no.

Frosty The Lucky.

There was a video circulating on social media a couple of years ago shot by some idiot humans who got too close to a moose and it charged right past them to get away. Infuriating that they would needlessly invade its space like that (and they're incredibly lucky not to have been charged directly), but awe-inspiring in the sheer power of a magnificent animal.

The proof in the hoof of self defense would body fluids of various types. Moose trying to GET you don't use their rack, they literally jump on you and stomp you into blood pudding. They'll fend off a charge with their racks or duel for a  moose babe's pleasure but don't attack with them.

Many years ago there was a cow moose and calf that browsed in part on the Anchorage of UAA Campus. Students were having good sport chasing them around with snowballs and other thrown objects. Surveillance cameras showed a gentleman who used the gym almost every morning try sneaking around the cow to get to his preferred entrance. Walked right past two entrances to get to the main door.

The footage of the moose stomping him to pieces was horrific. The first kick reached out, hit him on the shoulder and drove him into the pavement, the second the cow jumped off the ground and planted both front hooves in his chest. Then it was just a vicious stomping that lasted about 3 minutes. The man was obviously dead after the first 10 seconds or so, spines aren't supposed to bend that sharply in so many directions. 

Yeah, those idiots that got brushed past by the moose were lucky, that particular moose must've been familiar enough with humans to not take them as a threat or there would've bee SERIOUS injuries, maybe fatalities.

I do NOT know why video of the gentleman being stomped to death isn't made required viewing for all tourists, it might save lives. Probably to save the man's family from having to watch the horror over and over.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow just wow. That people even mess with a moose. Just like those idiots get out at Yellowstone and a bison or elk shows them how small we really are. Dont get why people think wild animals won't hurt them.  Like those latest videos of the father taking his child into an elephant enclosure through 3 fences. Common sense just not that common anymore.

I had a run in with an elk on a mountain trail in Perry county KY. He wasn't budging and my only option was to glissade down about a hundred feet of scree before he made me regret my choice to go hiking that day. We surprised each other as he seemed just as startled to see me as I was to see him. 

Pnut

I blame it largely on the, "nature is kind and gentle" sort of BS that is common myth. I used to call it the "Grizzly Adams" culture, not for the historical character but the TV show. It regularly showed him talking to wild animals and them reacting in desirable ways.

I make LOTS of noise walking in the woods, surprising anything can be bad news. 

Some years ago a woman wanted a close picture with Binky a polar bear resident at the Alaska Zoo in Anchorage. She climbed over a guard rail and squeezed through a fence. There is video of Binky pulling her leg through the fence and raking her up and down on the bars before his familiar zoo keepers got him to release her. 

A few years later two high school seniors climbed into his enclosure and were mauled. One managed to escape with minor injuries, claw slashes IIRC. The other lost his privates and significant muscle from his leg plus tooth holes in his skull and multiple claw slashes. 

Fence alarms alerted personnel and they arrived in under 3 minutes to find Binky sitting on the  teenager chewing and swallowing. They got Binky to go to his "cave" so they could let EMS rescue the kid. 

They weren't the first nor last to try to get in with the POLAR BEARS! We lost Binky a few years ago but the Alaska Zoo is the premier facility for rehabbing and returning polar bears to the wild. Ahpun is one of the new resident polar bears, he has a lady friend as well.

Here you go, I was looking for Ahpun's mate and ran across video from the tourist and Binky.

https://www.adn.com/multimedia/video/video-alaska-zoos-blinky-injuries-meddling-tourist/2015/07/22/

And if you want to watch real time. https://www.alaskazoo.org/polar-bear-camera

Remember, keep your hands inside the car and do NOT  feed the 1,500lb alpha predator, or the chipmonks.

Frosty The Lucky.

Mr. Frosty,

Great news about Binky. I hope that he (she) is in good form and enjoying life.

Anyone that would get close to a polar bear is terminally ignorant or crazy.

I remember years ago about us using a bell when we collected wild blueberries, in the bush,  in northern Ontario.

The bell was for announcing our presence to the brown bears were, also,  out collecting blueberries.

Neither the SLAG (& other family members), wanted to surprise the bruins, and they surprise us. They would hear the bell and move away to other blueberry patches.

Wild blueberries taste wonderful and make great pie fillings. Yards better than the commercial ones.

The bears liked,  them in order to bulk up for the upcoming winter hibernation. Those bears' diets consist primarily of plant matter, with the occasional side dish of meat.

So   carry a bell or make a lot of continuous noise whilst trekking in the Northern bush.

Thank you for the heads up concerning mooses. They do look cute.

I notice a moose in your picture logo. Was it your, or Deb's pet moose?

Regards to all.

Your friendly neighborhood,

SLAG

Binky and the moose were just doing their bit to improve the human gene pool.  Anyone stupid or foolish enough to get that close to large, dangerous animals does not improve the species.  Stupidity is not a survival trait.

That said, many humans get frightened of smaller animals that pose no threat or are intimidated by aggressive small animals.  Humans are physically large and dangerous apes who can take on many critters smaller than them.  A small yappy dog is not displaying good sense in trying to be aggressive with a human that outweighs them by a factor of 20 and could kick them into the middle of next week.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Yet so many small yappy dogs are out there.  My Daughter, the Veterinarian, prefers working with large dogs than the chihuahuas that are endemic out here.

I think that Moose was just trying a bit of method acting before auditioning for a part in the Stephen King story "The Moose"...

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Stephen King story "The Moose"...

"Moose The Movie" is a Chad Carpenter production and is as weirdly, spooky twisted, funny as Chad. He writes "Tundra" and lives not far from here. Deb and I have seen both his movies and I'm not sure if he's going to make another in spite of how popular they were. I hope so, maybe I'll go ahead and play an extra this time. 

Unfortunately Binky passed a few years after the Tourist incident. 

Carrying bells is an old trick in bear country, lots of folk have them clipped to their packs. The old Alaskan joke is you can tell how popular the practice is by the number of bells in bear scat.

IIRC miniature poodles are the breed that bites most. Fear aggression is the most difficult to control handling animals of any kind. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Mr. George N.M., & Mr. Frosty,

Polar bears are one of the few North American predators that will actively stalk humans. they are the largest predator  in The Americas. In the far north just about every adult carried a high powered rifle. All that to avoid being eaten.

I remember seeing a polar bear 'proof' fenced in area that was erected just before winter in order to protect some military equipment. When the folks came back in early spring the enclosure had been torn to pieces. The local bears were hungry.

SLAG.

Right you are Messr Slag. You don't have to learn to track or stalk polar bear, just go out and wait, one of many will be along shortly. Their sense of smell is better than other varieties. Photographers started using bear cages IIRC in the 50 and rapidly discovered they needed to be staked down or the bears would roll them around till the cage broke. Modern bear cages are really tough and too large to be tipped or get a bear paw through, photographers have been dragged THROUGH the bars literally,

There are or were polar bear tours mostly in Canada. The first tour vehicles just weren't tough enough or large enough. Early on environmentally aware activists protested about having armed men in the tour bus. In spite of the fact polar bears had been known to rip the doors off busses to get at the yummy snacks screaming inside. Newer busses are well armored and too high off the ground for polar bears to get hold of or tip over. 

Another cool factoid is about their color. The fur isn't white, it's clear and hollow so it only looks white. Provided it hasn't been stained of course. Military personnel were being surprised by polar bears during arctic winter exercises. Their fur is such good insulation the only part of a polar bear that shows on IR scopes and detectors are their noses and eyeballs. Noses very faintly and easy to miss as a ghost. If they open their mouth they really show up provided they're facing you. 

A video of a suddenly opening bear mouth closing over a camera before it going to static made great TV footage on the news.

Frosty The Lucky.

Herr Frosty, et al.,

The vaunted polar bear tours are to be found in Churchill Manitoba situated on the shore of Hudson Bay. Hundreds of bears gather there prior to the freeze up whence they disperse onto the ice. 

The bears can be watched in Oct. and Nov.

Polar bear fur changes from white to whitish yellow in the spring to match, the thawing ice.

Some bears seem to be aware of the black color of their noses, and will cover them when stalking, their ring seal prey.

It is fun to see the children, during Halloween trick or treating, with an elaborate group of folks and official patrols set to protect the kiddies.

Also, the town has a polar bear jail for misbehaving bears. They are then helicoptered far away out of town.

SLAG.