I Forge Iron

Hair pin help

It's my mother's birthday in a week, and I was wondering if anyone has the starting stock size and length for a hair pin similar to the one pictured. I searched with my favorite engine, but the term 'hair pin' comes up alot more than I thought it would in conversation in here, and not just about pinning up hair.

It was mentioned that this one was too bulky and heavy, and I think they used 3/8in square for the holding part, so I'm thinking 5/16 or 1/4 in, any input would be helpful. Thank you

20181121_173738.thumb.jpg.484405895523535c6637efc79e609bb9.jpg

I made a bunch of those out of small diameter copper rod that is around 5/32 in diameter. I bought a coil of it at Home Depot. The various wimmen-folk loved them. They were considerably smaller than the one pictured above. 

It will depend on the thickness of the hair too. I have long thin hair (.002" in diameter), so my ponytail is small when I tie it back, maybe around 3/4" in diameter. Hair averages .004", and I have seen ponytails that were easily 1.25" in diameter. But in any case I would suggest keeping the weight down, and think 1/8" or 3/16" would be plenty. If you want some size it can be flattened out or bent in areas to show more of the stock.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:21 AM, Glenn said:

Small round stock can be found disguised as welding rods, just knock the flux off and go. Brass round stock can be found disguised as brazing rod.

If you use filler rod for TIG or oxygen/acetylene welding you don't have to deal with any flux.

1 hour ago, BillyBones said:

Doc, that is what i call it to...thin. 

My daughter accuses me of wearing a hat to cover up the bald spot. I say to her "Never had the top of the head sun burnt have ya?" 

Solar Panel ! 

It's not the burn I worry about; it's skin cancer. I try to wear a hat most times I'm outside here and worry about all the times when I was a kid out in the sun.  Most of the older folks at Church are getting stuff carved off them nowadays---not much fun!  Of course the UV out here tends to range from Extreme to Alien Death Ray.

Extreme (from Wunderground): Extreme risk of harm from unprotected sun exposure. Limit sun exposure.  Apply skin protection factor (SPF) 30+, wear protective clothing (hat and UV-A&B sunglasses), and avoid being in the sun between 10am to 4pm.

Thank you everyone for your responses, while I was working out the style and size I wanted. My mom got herself a bday haircut, just below ear length. So the hair pin/bun holder is out of the running for a gift idea. Instead I made a bracelet using the basic layout techniques stated here (solder for length and basic design).

2084108419_Screenshot_20190601-1530263.thumb.png.87ec0f8e96e7f6145ace0ccf9b1b728a.png481173583_Screenshot_20190601-1530223.png.da1f048fbab09b08283fefa8ac0789da.png

made from 24 inches of 1/8in wire from some old fencing. Heat colored and beeswax finish. 6.5 inch length before curling. ~2.5 inches round finished. Will shape to fit after gifting it to her

Shabumi, i like that. Nice, simple, elegant. The opposing twists almost look like knots.  I am correct that is just four pieces twisted and welded on the ends? 

Glen, thanks for the tip on the welding rods. I have about 300,000,000 old rods lying on the floor of my barn. (exaggerated but there is a whole bucket load) Now i have a use for them. Most are missing a lot of flux and i figured they would just be scrap. 

Billy, I used 1 long piece bent in half, then each half was bent in half and twisted cold, but it'd work just fine with 4 smaller pieces. It would probably be easier to get even ends with the smaller pieces. Mine was a little off because the bends weren't exact halves. But isn't that what a grinder is for?

I have a couple of ladies who want one since they saw it at the party last night, and another offered to sell some out of her storefront, so I think I'm going to be doing bracelets for a bit