I Forge Iron

Les Paul Guitar

Das,  

Couple of details really stood out for me.  The bolt and bearing to make the selector switch was inspired, especially since the bearing conveys the round trim plate.  The other was the way you positioned the bolts on the head stock to mimic the tuning machine posts.  A lot of people might have overlooked that many/most electric guitars have tuning pegs at a right angle to the tuning machine post.  I also love how you used heat coloring on the sprockets.  

Beyond that, I think it's funny that your total weight is remarkably close to the high end of a real Les Paul!  They're famously heavy.

Should you decide to re-visit a guitar sculpture, you could add fretboard inlays which typically mark frets 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, and 19.  The head stock is cocked back 17 degrees on a Les Paul.  That's a subtle detail that a guitarist would appreciate.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/14/2021 at 8:14 PM, Nonpedestrian said:

this still for sale?

It was sold. The guitars don't last too long in my posession after I make them lol. 

Thanks Rockstar.esq.

I had thought about the fret inlays but they didnt happen. Perhaps on the next. Also the cocked headstock. 

I do actually plan to make more guitars as soon as my shop time frees up. I really enjoy bringing scrap pieces together to sculpt them. I'd like to do other styles of guitar as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I prefer the blues. I remember the first time my father took me to a bar where some blues band from a neighboring state was playing. This performance made me fall in love with the blues. Now my heart belongs to this style forever.

That is a nice geetar Das.  Do you ever keep track of how many hours work you actually put into a project like that?  It has given me the spark of an idea for a banjo as a gift for an old friend that is into jazz and ragtime.  Bigtime...

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard munnzach, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of hooking up with a member living with visiting distance. I love your AVATAR, cool cat.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "dope" in your post. I'm too old to be in tune with modern slang.

Frosty The Lucky.

You just need to go back a few centuries, then a lot of the slang is too obscure for the Moderators, may I commend to your attention: Francis Grose’s "Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue".

Slang is a lot like jargon; as it is used to show who's "in" and who's "out"; there was a nice Monty Python sketch of a WWI aviator describing a dogfight using the pilot slang of the day and nobody understanding him...

And then there is Thieves Cant...

Ah yes how rich life was back in Farmer George's day.

Thomas, your mother was hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! 

I love Monty Python. Fun fact, my wife had never seen any of the movies (poor sheltered girl) and when I learned of this, I watched several of them with her (obviously the most notable 2 were Quest for the Holy Grail and Life of Brian). She is now completely hooked on them.

Let's see if I can tell this story worth a darn.  My Ex had not seen Monty Python Either so I introduced her the movies.  My kids were raised watching Monty Python.  We were all in the car driving a road near home when the ex saw a hubcap at the side of the road.  She remarked, "That was further up (or down) the road the day before.  Right away, I said "Are you suggesting that hubcaps are migraory?"  The kids got it.  P.S.  I tried to spell migratory in their accent, which is how I said it.

"Dope" = "extremely good"

"Steampunk" = an aesthetic derived from the imagined technology of an alternate history without electrification, thus emphasizing complicated machinery à la Jules Verne, steam as the primary source of mechanical power, etc, often combined with the clothing fashions of the Victorian and Edwardian eras. The late-Sixties TV series "The Wild Wild West" was an early precursor of the genre, and the 1999 movie of the same name explicitly embraced it.