I Forge Iron

Les Paul Guitar

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to sing along in the car and what not and the wife says I am a really good singer, but am MUCH too self conscious to do it in front of just about anyone except the wife. Ill just hum along otherwise lol. I have a really good ear for tune and can't stand to listen to something that is even just slightly off, which nixes most auto-tuned pop music :lol:

We didn't get spanked very often, deserved every one though. Mother used a wooden spoon when necessary. She never bluffed about it, if she said, "do I have to get the wooden spoon," the next step was a swat. She never pulled a punch either, if we made her get the wooden spoon she made it memorable.

Frosty The Lucky.

My mother also made my older brother and I cut our own switch when we got in trouble and wouldn't admit who was guilty. Whom ever brought the smallest switch was the guilty one, proved to be very accurate, until my brother figured that out and always made sure he cut the largest switch. We didn't get switched very often, only for the worst well deserved transgressions.

My brother, sister and I learned at an early age not to repeat certain words we happened to hear.  No matter where we heard them.

I think a lot of us older folk are better off for it.  A walk through the mall or a day in the workplace confirms it in my mind.  There are a lot of exceptions though....

I never had to cut a switch. I certainly got spanked or smacked or whipped tho. Even thrown a couple times.  It was only on the worst of things or if we really deserved it. Mom holding up the wooden spoon or dad pulling his belt off, folding it in half and cracking it were quick deterrents after a few woopings.

Being a father now, their words of " this will hurt me more than it hurts you" mean a Lot more. My kids are still pretty young so I'm hoping to never have to say that to them. Ugh. I hope they aren't like I was in many ways lol. 

My Father never spanked us, I got cuffed a couple times for doing something stupid in the shop but never spanked. I learned much later, after he'd passed in fact that his step father was very abusive. Dad, his two Brothers and Sister were non-violent in the extreme.

Mother never bluffed, if she opened the drawer the wooden spoon was kept in, we got a swat, two if we'd been really bad. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Each child is different; one size fits all  DOESN'T!  I thought this was very nicely explicated in Dorothy Sayers story "Talboys" where she describes how each of their 3 sons requires different methods of discipline that are suited to their differing natures. 

On 7/15/2021 at 5:00 PM, Nodebt said:

There was no roughhousing in the car for us when we were kids.  Many times we had to get out and walk.  Probably harsh by today's standards...

Not at all. I would frequently kick one or all of the boys out of the car and tell them to run home. Nothing wrong with a little exercise to burn off excess energy. 

I don't spank my kids unless I really, really have to. I always feel terrible doing it even when it has to be done. Thankfully the wife handles what little spanking that needs tolled out and she gives more of a swat than a spank. I haven't spanked them much, but when I did I made sure it left an impression, so now all ol Dad has to do is get up and walk into the room with intent and they all stand to and tune in.

Unfortunately, I had to give out a whoopin a few weeks ago. Oldest (5) refused to come in for dinner and the night and sat outside and screamed. The wife had been handling negotiations, but when all negotiations broke down and the wife tried to pick her up and bring her inside, she ran. From my days as a kid, running was a HUGE no no, even more so know since we live in the city and off a busy street. Well, another old rule applied in on this one, you can't outrun dad.

Felt so bad giving her a couple smacks, but was still relieved that when she bolted that she didn't head towards the road. My middle daughter (4) is different. She is VERY sensitive and takes really, really bad to that kind of punishment. All you typically have to do with her is just look at her wrong and she will break down.

Having 3 girls is so much fun. 5, 4 and 2. 

I had two daughters; the youngest of which now has 4 sons. 

Now my stepdaughter has *twins* and recently called us up and begged that we would remove "the parent's curse"!---May you have children that grow up just like *you*! (I would have laughed and laughed; except that she owns a hot pink AR15 and we plan to visit on our way to Quad-State.)