I Forge Iron

Not my Craigslist add with my photos

jeremy k

What would you do, if you happened upon a Craigslist add selling a blacksmithing hammer that has your before and after restoration photos and none of the sellers photos of said machine? Should I be flattered? And just let it be or what.

I tried calling but no answer.

Screenshot_20181030-153259.png

Screenshot_20181030-153250.png

I just don't understand why they would not have posted pics of the machine that they were actually selling, even if somewhat incomplete, the old sales ads are easily found to show what they are.

I did contact them and asked politely to remove my pictures from his add and he refused - and said why should I take pics when its exactly like your pic before restoration. ???

I asked again politely to remove my pics from his add and he said No I'm not going to.

I remember many years ago I was into buying and selling vintage saxophones, (long story).  We had a spat of fraudulent post mainly from china, selling vintage Selmer saxo using our photos. 

There was no point asking the poster or the website owners to remove the offending post. We tried the police since it was a blatant fraud, selling $15,000 saxophones for $1,000. 

In the end we got rid of them collectively among all the sellers by placing million dollars bids on their ad. 

I flag scammer ads on CL all the time. Usually an expensive item way too cheap, funky wording, wording does not match item pictured, etc.. It gets to be a game with me. Flag and refresh to see if I was the one that got it removed. I believe if it gets five flags it is removed. I had one lady tell me the trailer had been moved to Tacoma WA, but they could ship for free. I said excellent, I have relatives in Tacoma that can look at it for me.......all communication stopped.

I noticed a bunch of car ads that off my alarms---folks were "serving in the army and being deployed and needed to sell RIGHT NOW just wire the money"...Funny thing I googled some of the significant terms used and the EXACT same cars were for sale on the west coast, east coast, down here, etc.  Flagged them both at work and at home---differing systems so x 2.

Biggun, I was looking at a camper a couple years ago for my ex father in law and I had the same kind of thing. The woman posted pics of a great looking camper and the price was crazy cheap. When I asked her she said it wasn’t local but could arrange to ship it to me. When she told me where it supposedly located I said “that’s great I’m actually going to be there next week for business I’ll let you know when I get there and we can meet up so I can look at it in person.” I never heard anything else from her.