I Forge Iron

Music?

Hollon

What kind of music does everyone here listen to?

I listen to a blues station on the radio while I'm working, but at home, mostly Jimi Hendrix and the Grateful Dead. I would imagine that I'm a minority around here, but I was wondering what everyone else listens to?

Well now that is a very strange question as it depends on the time of day and the day of the week and if the wife is in the room or not. If I with just me in the room it is classical. If it my wife in the room it is contemporary Christian. If I'm forging or making jewelry I like things lie the Stones or Cash. Nelson, Beatles, but not no way Whelk, Can't stand that stuff. Like to sing hymns in the shower, like to listen to folk songs on long trips. Don't like techno or death-head music like my son likes but he listens to some stuff that ain't half bad like Regina Spektor at least ways he recent stuff. So what do I listen to? Depends.

Favorite band is Rush. However, I will listen to just about anything with the exception of (k)rapp. I used to 20 years ago, but the new stuff makes me wanna use their sub woofers for an anvil.

I have lately picked up a taste for spanish/flamenco guitar as well as country:o (its the only music that doesn't use the Lord's name in vain). I always have no problems dropping in some celtic (waterboys, paul brady, christy moore, ashley macisaac, etc) and the Jolly Rogers (pirate music with a sea-faring beat. very easy to rhythmically swing my 4-pounder to)

I like satellite (Sirius) radio in the truck and at work, blues, old rock, jazz, stations mostly.
In the shop it's old vinyl from my youth late 60's early 70's stuff.
In the house it's CDs some of my favorites in no order...
Manhatan Transfer
The Cheiftains
Dave Brubeck
Van morrison
Led Zeplin
Savoy Brown
Jimmy Smith
Lionel Hampton
Stan Getz
Asleep At The Wheel
Gabby Pahinui
Taj Mahal
Bela Fleck
Peter Paul and Mary
Sam Cook
Harry Belefonte
Les Paul and Mary Ford
Chet Atkins

I use an ipod with an FM Transmitter and one of those hearing protector fm radios so I keep the eardrums happy but still have my music going.

My selection is really eclectic - everything from Beethoven to The Clash - Glen Miller to Eminem - Ella Fitzgerald to Pink then throw in a dash of Led Zep and Moby Grape . . . oh yeah, The Moody Blues is a good way to wind down the day.

Whatever gets the ol' body moving . . .

I like listening to heavy metal (no pun intended). But in the shop, classic rock stations get turned on when working, or in my case, tinkering most of the time. Nothing like some Stones, Led Zepplin, or Hendrix to while away the time. Of course, I have found Metallica and Megadeth are fun to forge to. Really make's the hammer move with the faster tempo. Some classical pieces, like Carmina Burana are good to work to, also.

This is just part of my collection...

Aerosmith
Alannah Myles
Basia
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
Blood Sweat and Tears
Bonnie Raitt
Carlos Santana
Chuck Mangione
Crosby, Stills, & Nash
Dave Matthews Band
Dire Straits
Edie Brickell & New Bohemians
Jethro Tull
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Jimmy Buffett
Joe Walsh
John Fogerty
Michelle Malone and Drag The River
Ricky Skaggs
Robert Plant
Rolling Stones
Shania Twain
Steely Dan
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Talking Heads
The Allman Brothers Band
The Beach Boys
The Beatles
Three Dog Night
Yes

I've been listening to Jimi Hendrix the most lately. Also Bob Dylan, The Beatles, John Lennon, Gnarls Barkley, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. My favorite from Hendrix is his later stuff like Band of Gypsies and Fillmore East, also his Blues album and any long instrumental jams.

I like satellite (Sirius) radio in the truck and at work, blues, old rock, jazz, stations mostly.
In the shop it's old vinyl from my youth late 60's early 70's stuff.
In the house it's CDs some of my favorites in no order...

Manhatan Transfer, The Cheiftains, Dave Brubeck, Van morrison, Led Zeplin, Savoy Brown, Jimmy Smith, Lionel Hampton, Stan Getz, Asleep At The Wheel, Gabby Pahinui, Taj Mahal, Bela Fleck, Peter Paul and Mary, Sam Cook, Harry Belefonte, Les Paul and Mary Ford, Chet Atkins

Mark, it is very nice to see that someone else has discovered the Pahinui family and their awesome Hawaiian music.
I spent three years on Oahu back in the eighties in the Marines. One man I knew who worked in the shipyard at Pearl Harbor was a full blooded Hawaiian named Sammy Kahuhiwa and he could play circles around anyone on his Kahala ukelele- if you think Ricky Scaggs, Roy Clark or Eric Clapton are good, Sammy would leave you dumbstruck to see him play and sing.
Sammy was a huge man, maybe 350 lbs with fingers the size of jumbo bananas and that tiny uke just about disappeared in his grasp but boy could he play. It always made me want to just throw my guitar out the window and at that time I had been playing already for almost ten years. Sammy had a natural talent and such fluid skill- plus a great voice.
Anyone who appreciates any style of music should check out these Hawaiians- "slack key" Hawaiian guitar is so unknown in the mainstream and if you are a guitar player, get ready to be humbled...
:)Dan.

Dan, I just listened to " The Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band" vol. 1 CD just this morning.

I have 3 different slack key CDs that I keep close by and play often, ones a compilation with Keola Beamer, Sonny Chillingworth, Cyril, and a few others that I would like to hear more of, but just haven't bought the CD's. I bought an album of Gabby's in the '70s and have been hooked ever since.

I can only imagine how great they sound live, must have been a real treat for you especially since you play.

Enjoy
Mark

Hi there,
Does anyone here get into Corey Harris, Eric Bibb or Harry Manx? The WAIFs? As I'm getting older I'm finding myself drawn to more acoustic laid back blues:rolleyes:, the ramped-up electric stuff is leaving me cold!:D

Cheers,
Makoz

• 2 weeks later...

Usually nothing but when I am doing anvil work I'll either sing cadence or break out 'run with the rangers' or 'march with the infantry' or some others i have. I can get a strong routine going and hammer longer.

I also favor outlaw country along with CCR and sprinkled with george and conway and southern gospel some delta blues, kinda an eclectic mix like the rest of ya'll

• 1 month later...

I have taken to listening to Blues, when listening. And I am particularly fond of a site in South Australia.
South Australian ROOTS and BLUES

That and learning to play Banjo in the frailing style, and later this year the guitar - folk type music.
There is this place called Tangier Sound that got me started on this. Patrick and his Dad teach on the site and there are lessons and insights going back to last May on the Blog. Begin at the beginning and it's easier to make sense of it.

I don't leave talk shows or news-type radio on in the shop as it is far too distractive.
I particularly like classic rock, some old punk, some (not all) country, blues, some of the new rock (rock, not bubble-gum stuff).
Of course Lemmy, Jimi, Stevie, Angus and Eric all have their music in my shop. Classical music is sometimes played in my car, never in my shop - it just never works in to things. Yes, bagpipe music does play in my shop too.
It is nice to have some variation in the music during the day. However, I keep the 'trend' fairly close; no new stuff on the same day as classic rock, etc.. It can be distracting. Rather than trying to watch a clock all the time, I make up CDs for my player and try to have them last sixty minutes or so. That way, I stop on the hour to change CDs and I can keep track of my time.