I Forge Iron

Music?

Hollon

Primarily contemporary Christian, but that is because of what is available on our local radio... however
I love bluegrass and old country a good bit of 50's and early 60's rock and roll, I listen occasionally to classic orchestra's including Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and the like and modern orchestra's like that from movies such as Lord of the Rings. If you was to look into my CD collection or in my MP3 you would also find Christian Hip Hop, Christian Country, Christian heavy metal...

So long as it isn't vulgar I very well might have it or enjoy it. My music taste used to be very narrow until I started running sound at our church about 10 years ago. I never knew what kind of music might come either from Southern Gospel for the older folks or the next day some Heavy metal scream band for the youth. I came to open wide up to learn what each style of music should sound like and found that there is not much I really can't stand to hear.

I have found that forging to the sound track of any of the three Lord of the Rings movies is quite inspiring, especially for bigger projects. I have to be careful of what music might be on if I am doing delicate work though as it really does effect my mood and my results.

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If I am listening to anything I usually listen to Air 1, available nation wide in the US, has a good mix of contemporary christian such as skillet. Once in a while if my mood is just right I will switch on some OLD southern gospel, but that usually doesn't last very long.

For me there is only one kind of music for forging, METAL!
Angra
Kamelot
Nightwish
Disturbed
Dragonforce
Dream Theater
Edguy
Epica
Firewind
Nocturnal Rites
Rammstein
Rhapsody
Sonata Arctica

and of course the namesake of our chosen media Iron Maiden.

Life is short, Love what you do!

• 4 weeks later...

Well...you did ask for it...
Tool,Hard Response,anything from Mike Patton,Apartment 26,Assassins of God(hehe),Brujeria,Ephel Duath,Helmet,Kyuss,Machine Head,!Ministry!,Nailbomb,Opeth,Pitchshifter,NoMeansNo,Richard Cheese,Sick Of It All,Slipknot,Mars Volta,Unsane,Victim's Family,Voivod,Zeni Geva and that's tip of my scary iceberg,there is much more on my N95 and around house.
It has to be fast,slow music makes me sleepy.

well,that is somehow a good question.because i work alone(i think a lot of guys do the same)so music is a big factor or influence of how i feel.my favourite band is tool,especially the 10 000 days album,wich helps my mind goe on a journey without the lacking of concentration.so i am grown up with guitars and thats the reason i like a lot of rockmusic like nickelback but its importand the songs have good melodies that make me sing.but not only rock music every music is fine as long i like the melody.
i prefer listening music while i do finishing jobs or other work without my running machines because they are to loud which means my stereo is outmuscled.
for me music is an importand aspect of my art.

• 1 month later...

Looking for new -different Christmas music.
Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole are regulars here but would like something new , maybe Jazz or Rock.

This one has been one of my favorites:

The Chieftains- The Bells of Dublin

Guests include:
Jackson Brown
Marianne Faithful
Nanci Griffith
Rickie Lee Jones

Thanks Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a big music collection, and often load the mp3 player up with a random assortment, resulting in everything from the 60's to present, mambo and latin music, folk, etc. Its often funny when something like CCR is followed up by Rammstein or techno.

But I'll confess, my favorite smithing music is the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack. Maybe I'm a dork (ok, I am), but that's my favorite soundtrack of all, and its great background while working. The Rambo II soundtrack is also suprisingly good. Yep, I grew up in the 80's.