I Forge Iron

japanese blackening

astevens

I have used gun blue on a chisel to blacken it. It works okay but the smell never seems to go away. It sticks on my hands days later after using a chisel that I used it on so I am giving up on that method of blackening. I have 75% food grade phosphoric acid that doesn't seem to blacken it enough.

Any ideas on how Japanese chisels are blackened?

thanks

Steve,

mixed? or do you treat with one and then the other?

also...

I was reading on here (I think) about multiple steamings of the piece followed by baking soda. I'm not sure if that is something anyone else has tried and if so how well did it work?

Firearm Bluing and Browning  R.H Angier, Stackpole Books  has a bunch of formulas in it but it's and *oldish* book; 1936, and so assumes that the reader will take great care on their own when dealing with chemicals! I don't remember if it includes a black other than a very dark blue.

I tried to find some info on rust bluing and found a couple sources elsewhere but if you can point me to one on here that'd be great... the search filter is a little picky it seems.

The sources I found suggested quickly forming a layer of rust with a variety of different products(household acids or products meant for rusting) and humid conditions. Then steaming it in distilled water. Is there anything more to this method? it sounds too easy/simple but I doubt it is.

From what I've read so far, it sounds like hot blue/cold blue form a thin, not very protective, layer on the surface of the steel. Is a rust bluing method more protective/thicker. 

thanks for your patience--- I'm new to all of this

51 minutes ago, astevens said:

the search filter is a little picky it seems.

The best way to search on IFI is to ignore the native Search function. Use the web search engine of your choice (I use Google) and include "site:iforgeiron.com" as one of your search terms.

I see that you're fairly new here. Welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

Our best results with bluing was to not go finer than 230 grit when polishing by hand. I didn't like using a power buffer, as I felt it smeared the metal more and closed the pores in the metal up.

You are working with metal. you are not going to get a deep penetration with any type of finish. The only way to get a thick finish would be to plate it.  I have firearms that date back to 1864 with original bluing still intact. With any object that is in use it will wear in certain spots. Give it a wipe down with a light oil, or some like the silicone products and rusting will not be an issue.

As to rust bluing, that process is repeated several times until the desired color is achieved. It is not a one pass project. Rust, card off rust, reapply solution, rust, card off rust, etc....

• 1 year later...

Watching this thread as it is something I have been experimenting with for several months, no real success thus far.

Tried Jax Iron and Steel Blackener and my test piece was not that black, maybe I am not using it correctly.