I Forge Iron

curves ahead

Steve Sells

2 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

needs more work about 80 layers

Would you please explain, Steve?  More work...are you going to do some more folding/welding to get there after forging out the shape?

Thanks

as always

peace and love

billyO

13 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Oh Steve? A new book in the works? Keep us posted. 

Book 2 is mostly written.   I am working on fine tuning and getting the photos taken now, it covers advanced things that didnt really belong in the Introduction to knifemaking book, like working advanced steels, lost wax casting, smelting an iron bloom from ore, making a few styles of some folding knives and other things I left out of the first book.  I got 21 chapters so far.  maybe  ready for Christmas this year, no promises. I am now going through the instructional sections making sure I can follow my own directions and didnt leave anything out.

12 hours ago, billyO said:

Would you please explain, Steve?  More work...are you going to do some more folding/welding to get there after forging out the shape?

It doesnt work that way, I still need to mount it and make the scabbard

Beautiful blade Steve! Gerald Gardner was convinced that powerful magic was employed in the forging of the Keris blades. I think meteoric iron would qualify as "magic ingredients"! Whether or not you had a Jinn to work the bellows those blades take skill and that one would make any Malay Warrior proud. Kudos!

Very nice Steve. I have enough struggle with a straight blade shaped object, I can't imagine doing a nice even pair of bevels on a wavy piece. And it looks like the pattern was started at the spine and worked out towards the edges too. Adds a very nice visual.

I have a question about it though. Is the tang welded on? Or is that just a trick of the light in the photo?  I can't make out if that is a weld, shadows, or the etching right at the junction of the blade and tang.

On 5/15/2018 at 12:02 PM, Frosty said:

I guess I'll have to HINT to Deb harder Christmas this year, didn't work for your first book. 

there have been 3 Christmases since I released the first book, try harder :)

Anyone have any  requests or suggestions as to something I should include on the new book ?

Well, I would enjoy reading about the intricacies of iron smelting and steel making. Not just ore to bloom, but crucible steel, tamahagane/orishagane, blister steel, weight ratios for charges, identification and differences between ores, e.g. magnetite, hematite, geothite, maghemite, etc, different types of furnaces e.g. bloomery, tatara, catalan, etc. 

But i guess thats sort of an entire book on its own, isnt it?

that is a set of books,. and I am not qualified to write most of that either I am doing a straight forward tamahogany type bloom. I  do not know enough about the various different types of smelters to discuss those.

there is a chapter on how to make modern Woots, IE crucible steel.

Actually Will; that's not so much another book as another set of Volumes (Just "Steelmaking Before Bessemer" has two volumes: Blister Steel and Crucible Steel and it's UK focused and doesn't go into the fiddly bits like charge sizes that I recall)

Steelmaking Before Bessemer is actually on my "need to buy" list, Thomas. Seems like a good set. I believe it was your recommendation (among *many* others) that brought it to my attention, so thank you, i suppose.

Crucible steel is very interesting, Steve. I look forward to reading about it.