I Forge Iron

My Anvil has been ordered!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at it not as a new love or lady but more of a new hard working best friend. Not too many ladies that I can think of that would stand for being hammered on all day long and still want anything to do with me. A best friend though, can take a pounding and still be your friend afterwards.:)

I'm not gonna tell you what the hitchball size is, plus my wife works from home and I work 2 miles from home so I can be back there very fast!

The anvil is off the trailer now anyhow. You'd have a bit of a drive from NM, Thomas it might be cheaper to buy one then to pay for the gas to drive up!

I look at it not as a new love or lady but more of a new hard working best friend. Not too many ladies that I can think of that would stand for being hammered on all day long and still want anything to do with me. A best friend though, can take a pounding and still be your friend afterwards.:)

Okay, there are just too many straight lines here for me to ignore Larry. So, I'm going on record as recusing myself from all the potential entertainment. Strictly in the best interests of the "normal" folk out there. :rolleyes:

Beautiful anvil but then I knew it would be. Nimba are sweet.

Frosty

Feel free to let fly Frosty, being from Maine originally I have a much more warped sense of humor than most. As long as they stay within site guidelines!

That's the problem Larry most of those straight lines lead well outside the realm of acceptable. Oh well, there's always next time.

Frsoty

That's the problem Larry most of those straight lines lead well outside the realm of acceptable. Oh well, there's always next time.

Frsoty

must agree with frosty!

its almost like Larry is setting us up to get kicked off, so manny open goals.. and we'r not not allowed to kick the ball... how rude! ;-)

Extreemly nice anvil !! i'd sell my mother in law for a piece of steel like that!.. well.. actually thats no reference ;-)

My mule's sick, I could use a healthy mother in law! :D
Don't have a nice anvil to trade though. :(

Mother in laws are over rated as beasts of burden, they keep spitting out the bit, wont pull a straight row to save thier lives, less of course you beat 'em half to death then they're still no good... although a new hammer is always nice. ;)

Well, it is officially broken in. I finished the sandbox anvil stand and spent a good hour plus banging on some steel. I LIKE IT!!! It is so different and better than the little HF Russian sub. You can actually feel the steel move under your hammer. I think I'm gonna be happy............

I finished drawing out the reigns on a set of tongs that I started on the little anvil and also made some tong hangers that attach to the top of the anvil stand.

I'll probably have to reseat the anvil though, I wanted to try it with out anything besides sand underneath it. It finished up tilted downward on the corner that I hammered on. So I'll need to lift it and put a solid wide base under it to keep it from shifting.

6193.attach

6194.attach

6195.attach

6196.attach

Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days of our Lives.

Larry, I assume the sand is an attempt to dampen the sound. I think sand is always going to shift because the grains are not unlike ball bearings. Perhaps a material that packs well might support the anvil and still dampen the sound. I'm thinking a bed of packed decayed granite might be worth a try. Kitty liter?

Larry if the sand wants to move about and lower the anvil, try placing a piece of plywood (or heavy metal) into the box and then put the anvil onto the plywood. The sand would have to move past the plywood to change the height of the anvil and I do not see that happening. Fill the rest of the box with sand to keep the anvil from twisting. BP0336 Adjustable Anvil Stand. You can use the sand as a holder for punches, chisels, etc.

How much sand did it take to fill the box?