I Forge Iron

My Anvil has been ordered!

I made a stand for my anvil out of steel following suggestions from Elmer Roush. The sand is ideal for setting the anvil in, and the way I prevent my anvil from sinking is by first attaching angle iron on opposite sides of the inside of the stand about 4 or 5 inches below the anvil. Fill the stand with sand to about two inches above the angle iron. Next make a plate that will fit fairly tightly into the box; I put a slit in the center of mine to allow me to remove it more easily. Take the plate, set it on top of the sand, and tap on it to make sure the sand has filled all the space below. Take the plate out, add more sand if it looks like it needs more to have 2 to 3 inches of it over the angle iron, and place the plate back in. Add a few inches of sand on top of the plate and seat the anvil in it. The small distance between the angle iron and the plate makes it very hard for the anvil to sink because the sand doesn't compact and has no place to move. I have used a stand of this style for probably about three years and I love it. The stand is too heavy to walk around easily when I'm working on it, the anvil stays level, and with just a little sand around the base the ring disappears from the anvil.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is approximately 200 lbs. of sand in the box, I had used that BP as my basic guideline for construction but wanted to try it without the baseplate first. Ring dampening was part of my thought process as was the ability to store tools in the sand but lack of a good hardwood stump was probably the biggest reason.
Johannes, I'm not sure what you use for an anvil stand, metal I'm guessing but I think in the U.S. the majority of the anvils are mounted on wood. I don't think my wooden box to be anymore of a fire risk than a stump would be, expecially with all that sand to throw on a fire! I have a fire extingisher mounted near my anvil also.

• 4 weeks later...

When I've been able to get out and hammer, it's been great Sam. We are in the process of painting new decks and ramps here at our house so I haven't had as much time lately but the few times I've gotten out have been good. The anvil is not shifting at all now with a plywood baseplate under it and the sand on top gives me a nice place for my chisels and punches. If I get a chance this week, I'll take some pictures of the items I've made recently.